Wood glue mark

I seem
To leave all kinds of thumb prints after using Elmer’s carpenter wood glue particularly on second plankings. Any suggestions on how to hold a piece in place in until it sets?

Thank you. Can you suggest how I can identify them before I sand. They only seem to show up after the varnish.

I do that but still miss some marks. This is only my second build so I’m still on a big learning curve. Would wearing surgical gloves help? Anything, like saw dust that I can put on to make marks show up before a final sanding? Any suggestions are appreciated.

If you're anything like me, you will leave a mess, so here are some of the things I do to prevent the mess:
  • Only apply the minimum amount of glue to the middle of the piece (apply with a controlled utensil rather than straight from the bottle), when you press/clamp the piece in place the glue will squeeze out further to the edge but not so much to go everywhere.
  • Place masking tape over previously glued pieces.
  • If you get PVA squeeze out do not wipe straight away- wait 20 minutes for it to 'gum up' and then remove the squeeze out in one clump without smearing (must do this before it goes hard)
  • If you get smudges of glue then wipe with damp cloth straight away... then, when you think you have wiped it off enough, wipe it again:).

Last edited:
If you're anything like me, you will leave a mess, so here are some of the things I do to prevent the mess:
  • Only apply the minimum amount of glue to the middle of the piece (apply with a controlled utensil rather than straight from the bottle), when you press/clamp the piece in place the glue will squeeze out further to the edge but not so much to go everywhere.
  • Place masking tape over previously glued pieces.
  • If you get PVA squeeze out do not wipe straight away- wait 20 minutes for it to 'gum up' and then remove the squeeze out in one clump without smearing (must do this before it goes hard)
  • If you get smudges of glue then wipe with damp cloth straight away... then, when you think you have wiped it off enough, wipe it again:).

I seem
To leave all kinds of thumb prints after using Elmer’s carpenter wood glue particularly on second plankings. Any suggestions on how to hold a piece in place in until it sets?
DO the planking as you are doing. If you use glue, you will leave glue residue. Everybody has this problem, including me. Make some chisels from broken drills and/or old files; see the NRJ articles. Let the glue dry 'a little'. With a very light touch, scrape the glue off. That is it. It takes some practice to 'get the touch'. Anyone with a 2 digit IQ can master this process in a few minutes. However, REMOVING THE GLUE " ALLOF IT"
IS A MAJOR FACTOR IN PRODUCING WORLD CLASS MODELS. The best modelers in the world still have to do it. You can't beat this system.

All of the above is excellent advice--but also before you do your varnishing, wipe the entire hull with a damp cloth. That will get rid of any small residue and show you any problem spots that you can get off by rubbing or sanding.

I seem
Hallo @Jim CT
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back