wood planks

Nope, they closed their doors in 2019 and he sold off his existing stock. If you are looking for planking strips I think The Lumberyard is the only stateside resource, there are a few places in Europe that do stripwood... Time to look at getting a Byrnes Saw? :)

the saw is a quality tool, however before you drop $450.00 + shipping+ tax you may want to think about how much you really need it. Consider you still need a bigger saw to resawn lumber down to the size a small table saw can handle. If you are buying lumber on line you are paying for shipping and you loose about 1/3rd or more in saw dust so your paying for saw dust you never actually use. If you do not have a larger saw to rip down lumber you have to purchase resawn sheet stock.
lets say you want strips of Beech and order 5 board feet of rough Beech lumber there is no way that little saw will rip that down into modeling planks. so you have to purchase sheet stock like 2 x 24 x 1/4 or 1/8 or whatever thickness if you don't have a bigger saw to handle the lumber. So if you have to go that far might as well just buy finished planking stock.

Agree, buy a Bynes table saw and cut your own planks. It will pay dividends for you long term.

Brian is right in the long run it will pay off as long as you have a cheap local source or resawn wood and you plan on cutting a lot of it and you don't mind spending the time doing it.

Good point Dave, I also have a 10" table saw and a 10" Band Saw (wish that was a 14") but the Byrnes is for so much more than planks and strips, I use it to cut notches in beams, lots of dimensioned wood, gun ports in planking, perfect 90 degree sheeting for cabin sides and wheelhouses etc, tons of accurate, precision cuts that need to be made, it's small enough that I can use small stock on it and not be intimidated by some large spinning blade - mind you -you still need to be safe and very aware of it's power. There are other ways of course to accomplish all these tasks - but I wouldn't want to be without mine. I haven't regretted spending that money. If you are gonna build a couple kits - forget it, but if this hobby is gonna consume you and you plan on kit bashing or scratch building - Get one!

If you are gonna build a couple kits - forget it, but if this hobby is gonna consume you and you plan on kit bashing or scratch building - Get one!

that pretty much sums it up as a kit builder everything you need is in the box and for the most part a Dremel tool and a few hand tools is all you need. If you want to continue building kits as a hobby you don't need a mill, a lathe, a small table saw, a thickness sander.
But, if you want to progress into scratch building or bashing kits you will need either a source for milled wood or set up shop to cut your own. Like i said in my last post don't expect a hobby size table saw to rip down 4/4 lumber because that is not what it is designed for. Stargazer has 10 inch saws to produce material for small hobby tools.

to answer your original question

Warner Woods West is long gone and so is Hobby Mill and Crown timber my guess is because it takes a lot of time and work ripping down wood for model building
last man standing after 38 years the Lumberyard for Model Shipwrights is still here and still cutting timber.

hi dave, do you cut and sand wood strips[1/16x1/4x36]? if so i need some. let me know about the wood strips. thanks terry

the saw is a quality tool, however before you drop $450.00 + shipping+ tax you may want to think about how much you really need it. Consider you still need a bigger saw to resawn lumber down to the size a small table saw can handle. If you are buying lumber on line you are paying for shipping and you loose about 1/3rd or more in saw dust so your paying for saw dust you never actually use. If you do not have a larger saw to rip down lumber you have to purchase resawn sheet stock.
lets say you want strips of Beech and order 5 board feet of rough Beech lumber there is no way that little saw will rip that down into modeling planks. so you have to purchase sheet stock like 2 x 24 x 1/4 or 1/8 or whatever thickness if you don't have a bigger saw to handle the lumber. So if you have to go that far might as well just buy finished planking stock.

Agree, buy a Bynes table saw and cut your own planks. It will pay dividends for you long term.

Brian is right in the long run it will pay off as long as you have a cheap local source or resawn wood and you plan on cutting a lot of it and you don't mind spending the time doing it.

Hey Dave:
You are the best person to explain this evaluation.
I have a PROXXON 27070 circular saw coming that I bought through Model Expo and also own a 10” table saw that I regularly use for things around the house.
I will combine both to get what I need when it come to planks.
But...... Some times it is not easy to find the type of lumber you are looking for.... and that’s where you come in.
Thank You and Eve for making our ship hobby life a bit easier.

Last edited:
Nope, they closed their doors in 2019 and he sold off his existing stock. If you are looking for planking strips I think The Lumberyard is the only stateside resource, there are a few places in Europe that do stripwood... Time to look at getting a Byrnes Saw? :)
A permanent solution to your problem is to cut your own. Get a Byrnes saw.

A permanent solution to your problem is to cut your own. Get a Byrnes saw.
Like Dave posted, that one saw (Byrnes) isn't going to handle 4/4, 6/4 or larger stock. It's a 4" blade. It says it can handle 15/16" max but I bet the horsepower isn't up to a steady diet of that stuff. I have a woodshop and have been doing woodwork for about 60 years. I save a lot of money buying rough stock andmill it myself. Getting stock down to sizes, typically in millimeters is going to take more machinery unless you buy your wood in MUCH smaller sizes. Resawing? Think bandsaw. Smoothing? Planer and jointer. Hey! It's only money.

Yes, of course the more power tools you have, things would be easier.
But with the respect of all of my fellow modelers, and this is only my humble opinion; now that I’m retired I think a lot before buying because our hobby could entice us to buy things that are not completely necessary and we we can easily fall in the “Diderot effect”.

Here is a link that explains what I mean.

hi dave, do you cut and sand wood strips[1/16x1/4x36]? if so i need some. let me know about the wood strips. thanks terry

yes the strips are sanded with 40 then to 80 grit that is called dimensioned material it does not have a finished surface. Personally i do not finish any finer than 80 or 100 grit, some builders take their finish to a fine polish.
for modeling material 24 to 30 inch is the length range. When you get up to 3 or 4 feet it gets hard to get clear straight grain pieces and maintain a tolerance from end to end.

Yes, of course the more power tools you have, things would be easier.
But with the respect of all of my fellow modelers, and this is only my humble opinion; now that I’m retired I think a lot before buying because our hobby could entice us to buy things that are not completely necessary and we we can easily fall in the “Diderot effect”.

Here is a link that explains what I mean.

I too am retired. A lot of my woodshop was purchased years ago. Everything I bought serves a purpose. Model building, for me sometimes calls for other tooling and techniques. I also build big stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN0208.JPG
    DSCN0208.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 21
i have been in woodworking and modeling for over 40 years and in that time i have 3 lathes from a tiny Unimat to a big Jet lathe, a 4 inch and 6 inch disk sander, 2 belt sanders, an old Sears jig saw that take two people to lift it and a tiny hobby scroll saw, a 10 inch and 4 inch table saw, 2 bandsaws a 10 inch and a jacked up 14 inch with 2 hp motor and Carter roller guides and set up for resawing, a double drum thickness sander and a planer joiner., a spindle sander chain saws big and so many power tool it take a barn to house them. Oh and 3 computer work stations. use to have a cravewright 3d CNC carver,

guess what for model building i use sand paper, an Exacto knife, a vice and a Dremel tool.

Hi i am Dave and i am a Diterot

See if you can get some apple wood ad saw it as needed. Apple darkens with age, is easy to work and has a close grain.

Back