Wood polish

Hi,
Could the site admins please add the topic of polishing the wood to this forum . I am sure many out there, including me, would like to tap into the experience of other menbers concering the topic of polishing wood, e.g. the type of polish, method of application, etc.
Many thanks.
Trevor.

Hi,
Could the site admins please add the topic of polishing the wood to this forum . I am sure many out there, including me, would like to tap into the experience of other menbers concering the topic of polishing wood, e.g. the type of polish, method of application, etc.
Many thanks.
Trevor.
No need for Admins to involve, Trevor. You just created one. Whoever is interested, will respond.

I have modified the forum name to reflect wood finishes. So we can talk here for paint and wood finishes as well

Hi,
Many thanks.
Trevor.
Hello Trevor,
I just noticed your post from the 'last weeks topic' log. On my second build of HMS Fly (see my build log) I used Minwax Finishing Wax on the walnut hull. I absolutely love the rich brown sheen this brings out in the walnut. I'm also using it on my current build of the Swedish VASA which is a darker walnut but still has a really rich color sheen. I discovered this technique some years ago when I built a walnut table and just used minwax on it. As far as I know no one else has mentioned this before.

IMG_0561.jpgIMG_1071.jpg

Hello Trevor,
I just noticed your post from the 'last weeks topic' log. On my second build of HMS Fly (see my build log) I used Minwax Finishing Wax on the walnut hull. I absolutely love the rich brown sheen this brings out in the walnut. I'm also using it on my current build of the Swedish VASA which is a darker walnut but still has a really rich color sheen. I discovered this technique some years ago when I built a walnut table and just used minwax on it. As far as I know no one else has mentioned this before.

View attachment 248536View attachment 248537
Hello Daniel,
Many thanks for your information. The sheen on your models in the photos is very eye-catching.
Did you apply the wax directly to the wood or did you treat it first with a base sealent to close the pores beforehand?
I sometimes treat my wood with a mixture of schellack and meth spirits and, when dry, I rub the surface down with wire wool 0000. I then give the surfaces a good brush or a going over with the vacuum cleaner to remove all dust and wire, after which I apply the wax to the wood, achieving a nice sheen, which does darken the wood down somewhat, but at the same time enhances the grain of the wood.

Trevor.

Well Trevor all I did was sand it all uniformly with 100 gr. then down with 240 gr. and a final sanding with 320 grit. I wiped it down good then just applied the wax.
in 2 coats with a buffing in between. The factory saw finish on the planks is quite nice very smooth, unfortunately when I set them in place there are slight differences in thickness as well as variations in the sub planking which forces me to sand all these variations into a smooth surface. I use CA to glue them down and it seeps in-between strips here and there which I need to sand out as well. Your method sounds interesting, I will experiment with it to see what happens.

Back