Wood Sanding Primer

Hello All,
I've seen some wonderful wood treatments on many a model on SoS. I especially like the finish wood timbers where the modeler has used Clou sanding primer. This is a German product, I believe. Does anyone know where I can get Clou in the U.S.? Or maybe a close equivalent?

Thanks.

Ken, I strongly believe that Clou is just a brand name and not a product. Clou makes a variety of wood finish products. As you mentioned above in your post, it is just a wood sealer\primer. It makes sanding much easier, and will not gum the sanding paper. What it does, is closes the pores and smooths down the grain that has risen. It prepares the surface before the final finish like Oil, Shellac, or Laquer. It doesn't consider to be a finish by itself.

In the USA we have similar products by MIWAX

Hey Jim,
I was aware Clou is the brand name. Admittedly, wood priming and finishing is not an area I am well versed in. I do know you are, so appreciate your input. The reason I referred to "Clou" is that 3 very skilled builders in Europe all used it. With that said, and not knowing much about the area, but knowing I really liked all three builders' finished product, I thought I would attempt to use something as close as possible to Clou's product, including the specific chemical make up. It sounded like an easy safe way to approach it.

Do you have an solvent based primer you use specifically Jim?

Thanks again for the input and feedback.

Ken

The reason those builders use the Clou brand is that it is the most popular and available in Europe. Guess they don't have the MINWAX brand there.There is another very popular brand name Osmo, and it is available in USA\Canada. At the end of the day, it is just a matter of preference and availability.

I am afraid, I cannot help you with wood primers. I use non. I cannot paint, therefore don't even attempt, but I use a wood sealer\conditioner before applying oil coats or varnishing. We have a variety of MINWAX products in HomeDepot.

Hey Jim,
I was aware Clou is the brand name. Admittedly, wood priming and finishing is not an area I am well versed in. I do know you are, so appreciate your input. The reason I referred to "Clou" is that 3 very skilled builders in Europe all used it. With that said, and not knowing much about the area, but knowing I really liked all three builders' finished product, I thought I would attempt to use something as close as possible to Clou's product, including the specific chemical make up. It sounded like an easy safe way to approach it.

Thanks again for the input and feedback.

Ken
Hi Hoss

While surfing in the SoS forum I have seen your Clou Brand info question.
I am using since many years products of this brand specially the different wood-colored versions of their varnishes on cellulosic basis, They also have water and polyurethan based products also.
To your question sanding primers: The basic product in the sanding primers is zincstearate which prevents gumming on the sanding paper .It gives a kind of lubricant effect while rubbing the wood with the sand paper and less heat is evolved during sanding.Before applying the final finish you have to wipe the excess dust caused by final fine sanding.The rest allready has filled the pores of the wood (in micro mode). One can use on that surface a polyurethane(PU) type or cellulosic(CEL) type or aqua based type finishing.The difference is the surface hardness and sensitivity of further finishing (painting etc.) PU is harder and less sensitive(e.g. painting with CEL base products).
To summarize : The better you do the basis (prime sanding) the better your end result. My advice, try different brands which are available in your region and make your decision .( Similar Levi's , Lee , Wrangler or Armani jeans)
.Important: Before starting any operation with the primers be patient and let the varnish dry completely .

Kind Regards and Succesful Varnish- and PaintfinishingsPirate Flag:)

P.S.: I produced many years thinners and different type of varnishes for the furniture industry and hope this info is helpful to you

Hi Korsan,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge on the subject. This, along with Jim's explanation, gives me the information I need to start my application testing. I think I'll try a couple of different products, woods and finishes to determine which I am the happiest with.

Ken

Hi Korsan,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge on the subject. This, along with Jim's explanation, gives me the information I need to start my application testing. I think I'll try a couple of different products, woods and finishes to determine which I am the happiest with.

Ken
For final finishing I use that satin varnish (see attacment)also it gives a slight wet touch to the varnished wood not covering the wood pattern.Also good for UV protection.don’t apply it to the ropes of the rigging because then all loosen fiber and dust on the ropes become visible like the skin of an hedgehog.(also valid for other varnishes).I also use it to refresh long in dust standing decks where dust in unreachable corners cannot be removed ‍☠️

144CFFDB-D6C5-47BC-9D1A-349B1E430301.jpeg

I have built several kit models. I learned early on from a professional model builder what he used for finishing model boats. He used a coating of clear water based matte sheen polyurethane on all surfaces as he was assembling the model. This provided a sealing effect for sanding as well as protection of pieces and parts. Final finish was another coat of the same matte polyurethane. The brand that I use is MinWax but there are other brands to choose from. MinWax also has a very good “sanding sealer” which acts to seal the grain of the wood for finish sanding as well as controlling the sheen of any applied stains. After sanding or staining add the polyurethane over the sanding sealer. I apply this poly to all my model builds now…

Last edited:
Thanks Daniel. I currently use the same exact items, in the same exact application as you stated. Appreciate your input.
Ken

Hello All,
I've seen some wonderful wood treatments on many a model on SoS. I especially like the finish wood timbers where the modeler has used Clou sanding primer. This is a German product, I believe. Does anyone know where I can get Clou in the U.S.? Or maybe a close equivalent?

Thanks.
Hallo Ken alias @Hoss6262
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Back