Wooden models

I am trying to figure out which wooden model of the Soleil Royal I want, I’ve been looking at Artesanía Latina But I also looked at ZHL model. Has anyone worked with this model or any ZHL models before?

Thats a difficult and large model to build. You would want a few kits under your belt before attempting that model. With regards to manufacturers, do a search though the Soleil Royal build logs. Good luck.

I am trying to figure out which wooden model of the Soleil Royal I want, I’ve been looking at Artesanía Latina But I also looked at ZHL model. Has anyone worked with this model or any ZHL models before?
Good morning. Very good advice from all. Kit selection is so important based on what you want to achieve. How skilled your scratch making abilities are and wether you want to build historically accurate or just a cool model. What Kurt (Darivs Architectv) says is particularly important. I say this as I made these mistakes buying my first ship (current build). Cheers Grant

I’ve been doing wooden ships just not this one. It’s a very detailed ship and wanted to know about the ZHL one since I’ve never done one and the little info I’ve seen does not show much of instructions ( like artesanía latina does) just a lot of plans. I’ve done others by only plans but with a ship like this so detailed and expensive, I want to make sure it has as much info as possible.

If I remember, there is one person here doing the SR from ZHL here. I can do a search to see. I personally would go with ZHL - however, let me do some looking around.

Here is one Build Log of the SR from ZHL here:

I would definitely recommend the ZHL. I have only got to the frame assembled and decks on but good quality kit ( my third ZHL kit) There are a lot of lead castings and details on this ship. The instructions are easy enough to follow with step by step pictures, you just have to think ahead a bit as you build. Gilbertm's build log is an awesome reference to this kit ( Donnie's link above ) My only peev about the kit is the second/outer planking material is only .5mm thick ( pretty standard in kits these days I think) I prefer a thicker plank to work with but that's just me.

1. As stated you need experience. This is an understatement!!!
2. Look at the quality of the materials given in the kit.
3. Read other reviews who purchased / made the kit.
4. Leave your head strong ideas in bin.

Personal buy a cheap model and start building a semi scratch model.

Buying a 400£ + kit and then hit the wall is not nice.
I know I done this and that’s what started me on semi scratch then lead to scratch building.

I think I spent 6 / 9 months with a heavy heart and kept my mouth shut to all before I threw the kit away and just kept the plans, ribs and sail. Most of that was binned. 3 years latter. I bought the real plans from Harold Underhill. My first boat! What joy even with mistakes it takes pride on my shelf.

AL will come with the usual poor quality fittings, the awful blocks which you'll need to replace, ZHL should have better ones as standard. I've never been impressed with AL, it's one of the manufacturers I use to use the main hull parts as templates for a scratch/bash. I'd go for ZHL.

Hallo @E2karnivor
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Did you order in the meantime a Soleil Royal?

ZHL
I bought cross section and adapted it.
Good all round kit bashing
The ship you chose is a hard build.
Good luck

ZHL
I bought cross section and adapted it.
Good all round kit bashing
The ship you chose is a hard build.
Good luck
I guess it is the Bonhomme Richard section, or?
Maybe you want to show it here in the forum?
or in a building log?

Hallo @E2karnivor
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
and? already a decision made?

Zhl
Makes into a fine model.

Of course it’s kit bashing

I had a cross section from them and the wood is very good. Can be tricky with plans but … if your at that level you will manage + a few cups of tea :)

Back