Workbench Question

I am in the process of building a new bench for building. It will be in an “L” shape and will be:
8’x2’x30”h and 5’x2’x??? ....and there lies the question.
Due to lots of arthritis, comfort is a concern so was considering the shorter L to maybe be 36” in height. The main L will be 30” since I prefer working at normal table height with feet on the ground. But considered having the other L higher just to have an additional option like standing?
I know that some guys use a 12”-15” bench to work on masts and rigging so another option.

Do you feel that having additional heights on your workbench is feasible?

I am in the process of building a new bench for building. It will be in an “L” shape and will be:
Due to lots of arthritis, comfort is a concern so was considering the shorter L to maybe be 36” in height. The main L will be 30” since I prefer working at normal table height with feet on the ground. But considered having the other L higher just to have an additional option like standing?
I know that some guys use a 12”-15” bench to work on masts and rigging so another option.

I work on my ship sitting down. I have an older roll-top desk I build at. And I have a woodworking workbench that is 37" high. I'm 6'4" and my back cannot take bending over for a long period of time. I also have an old countertop on two saw horses as an additional work area. It'll be interesting when I get to the masts. I'll adapt. You cannot have too many work surfaces huh?

20200407_134434.jpg20200401_115238.jpg20210121_122348.jpg

I saw also some tables and workbenches, which are adjustable fastly in height with some mechanic - unfortunately I can not find the link in moment.....

I work on my ship sitting down. I have an older roll-top desk I build at. And I have a woodworking workbench that is 37" high. I'm 6'4" and my back cannot take bending over for a long period of time. I also have an old countertop on two saw horses as an additional work area. It'll be interesting when I get to the masts. I'll adapt. You cannot have too many work surfaces huh?

I like your roll-top desk, it looks .... a bit ancient

I have read of people attaching a board, from front leg to the back leg, using sturdy hinges. This allows shifting between to heights as needed by positioning the spacers to be under the legs for high position and flipping the spacers out from under the legs for the lower height.
The bench legs are made to be the shorter height, and the thickness (height) of the spacers determines the height increase when flipped under the legs.
I may have photo of such an arrangement, but I haven't found it yet. I'll keep looking.
Happy Modelling,
Steven

I saw also some tables and workbenches, which are adjustable fastly in height with some mechanic - unfortunately I can not find the link in moment.....
Yep...have seen them. In fact Walmart has an electric one (frame only) for only $88 but just not sure how sturdy it would be for that cheap price.

Yep...have seen them. In fact Walmart has an electric one (frame only) for only $88 but just not sure how sturdy it would be for that cheap price.
Personally I like to be able to get out of a chair and perch on an adjustable height pivoting drafting stool to be above my work. There are ways to rotate a hull to have the deck facing you more directly than the ceiling however in addition to those adjustable clamps that I have I do like to be above, working downwards where I can get better support and bracing for my arms and hands. Headband magnifiers with LED lights are essential for small work whether viewing horizontally or vertically. Just my own preference. Rich (PT-2)

When you want to raise the working height of your bench you can just use a piece of plywood with 4 short legs on it at what ever height you need and place it on top of your existing bench.

Depending on big a raised work area you want, you can try some modern computer workstations, they have them in manual and electric version, they are for sitting or standing work desks. You can find them at computer stores or office furnishing stores. They raise 6-8' depending on brand. We use these at my work office at most folks computer desk so we can stand and stretch legs and back during the day as needed.

Depending on big a raised work area you want, you can try some modern computer workstations, they have them in manual and electric version, they are for sitting or standing work desks. You can find them at computer stores or office furnishing stores. They raise 6-8' depending on brand. We use these at my work office at most folks computer desk so we can stand and stretch legs and back during the day as needed.
My experience, though not current, is that those plastic workstations are very light weight, not solid, and bouncy. Just a recollection from years of working on several different ones. If you want flexible positions though one may work for you. Rich (PT-2)

My experience, though not current, is that those plastic workstations are very light weight, not solid, and bouncy. Just a recollection from years of working on several different ones. If you want flexible positions though one may work for you. Rich (PT-2)
You’re right, Rich. For me, the platform has to be solid... so lowering it by some rickety mechanism doesn’t cut it. get a solid bench at one height that’s big enough and be done with it! Just my 2 cents!

You’re right, Rich. For me, the platform has to be solid... so lowering it by some rickety mechanism doesn’t cut it. get a solid bench at one height that’s big enough and be done with it! Just my 2 cents!
The drafting room stools with adjustable height and fully rotating padded seat allowed us to work in any position and quickly reverse tack for the head or another cup of coffee. They provided good exercise all day long.

There are LOTS of solutions to adjustable-height tables or workbenches. I found these legs (Walmart). Shown upside down in the picture. They're just one idea....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210318-065836_Pinterest.jpg
    Screenshot_20210318-065836_Pinterest.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 24
There are LOTS of solutions to adjustable-height tables or workbenches. I found these legs (Walmart). Shown upside down in the picture. They're just one idea....
There are a lot of options out there but from my perspective weight is related to solidity and I want a heavy, non moving, solid work surface. I have enough tremors of my own. Rich (PT-2)

There are a lot of options out there but from my perspective weight is related to solidity and I want a heavy, non moving, solid work surface. I have enough tremors of my own. Rich (PT-2)
He indicated he was building an 'L' -shaped workbench and mentioned having additional heights available. There are several ways to accomplish his ideas. But making it have other than just one fixed height brings in a lot of variables. I agree with you that a heavier bench is more stable and solid. I designed an L-shaped desk for a neighbor not long ago.

Screenshot_20201212-131059_Fusion 360.jpg

He indicated he wss building an 'L' -shapee workbench and mentioned having additional heights available. There are several was to accomplish his ideas. But making it have other than just one fixed height brings in a lot of variables. I agree with you that a heavier bench are more stable and solid. I designed an L-shaped desk for a neighbor not long ago.
The corner knee space may need some supporting brackets to eliminate tenderness if there were to be any hammering in that area. Just a thought. Rich

Back