YANGTZE RIVER HIGH-NET FISHING SAMPAN [COMPLETED BUILD]

In that case, i misunderstood this but then i have to say that Mike Shanks did a wonderfull job. they ar looking excellent
No problem my friend - Mike is indeed a man of many talents.

Heinrich’. This photo is on the dust cover of a book I just got — “Grand canal, great river: the travel diary of a twelfth-century Chinese poet “. Most beautiful high aspect junk rig I’ve ever seen and a beautiful junk picture — obviously authentic. No attribution I can find in the book.

6628E053-8316-4643-88AD-F62257EC56DB.jpeg

Heinrich’. This photo is on the dust cover of a book I just got — “Grand canal, great river: the travel diary of a twelfth-century Chinese poet “. Most beautiful high aspect junk rig I’ve ever seen and a beautiful junk picture — obviously authentic. No attribution I can find in the book.

View attachment 351794
Hello Mike. Thank you very much for this beautiful picture of an extremely graceful junk/sampan with very detailed rigging. I will check in my picture library of sampans to see if I can find a picture similar to this one with a description or more info. Somewhere I read something about sampans /junks which had their canopies being placed so far to the back of the boa and what the reason was for that, but now I can't remember the gist for the life of me. :)

DON ROBINSON 1956-2023

Donald-Robinson.jpg

This is very sad news to me. Don and I had a very special relationship and there were many moments of fun and laughter that we shared. Bluenose #2 went to Don and I will never forget how supportive and loyal he was during those first few difficult months when KIR and MSW waged a constant battle against me. During COVID lockdown, we spoke a lot and despite the fact that he was physically not well, he lived his life to the fullest in every conceivable sense. My favorite pic of Don was of him fully decked out in his wetsuit with diving goggles, a cigarette in the one hand and his drink of choice in the other. That was his body armor against COVID! ROTF

Even though I had never had the pleasure of meeting Don in person, I always felt like we were kindred spirits - he traveled gravel roads where others chose tarred ones, he made many mistakes that he paid dearly paid for, but yet he LIVED, he did not merely exist and in living, he gained more life experience than anyone else could ever dream of. For that, I take my hat off to him. As far as his model building was concerned, we were also very alike, He never built mainstream models, and when all his stars aligned during the build process; (something which did not happen very often) he would produce models of stupendous quality. His build of the Maris Stella Novilara and Ragusian Galley were my favorites (and I think his too!)

DSC_0432.jpg

The NOVILARA (above and below)

IMG_3427.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

RAGUSIAN GALLEY

After I had finished my Tanka sampan, he wrote this comment: To this day, this remains the most special comment someone has ever made on my work! - 4 August 2021

"If it were not so early in the day here, I would raise a glass in honor to you and the Tanka people for this wonderful log and story, for the time being you will have to be satisfied with a warm coffee and the several cigarettes I have consumed while thinking of what to say.
To take such a simple craft and create a tale (lesson) such as this is marvelous! It is with no doubt that I can say you have many, many Tanka people smiling down upon you thanking and blessing you for bringing to light their history and heritage.
A beautiful build and even better log my Friend!! THANK YOU"

Well, my friend, here it is early in the morning too. I do not have alcohol in the house so you too will have to be satisfied with a hot coffee and the several cigarettes I have consumed while thinking of what to say. Please know that you have touched the lives of many my friend, mine included. I am not going to mourn you; I am going to smile - smile in the knowledge that I have a brother - and smile in the knowledge that in my mind and heart you will always be there.

Cheers Bud - till next time!

DON ROBINSON 1956-2023

View attachment 398427

This is very sad news to me. Don and I had a very special relationship and there were many moments of fun and laughter that we shared. Bluenose #2 went to Don and I will never forget how supportive and loyal he was during those first few difficult months when KIR and MSW waged a constant battle against me. During COVID lockdown, we spoke a lot and despite the fact that he was physically not well, he lived his life to the fullest in every conceivable sense. My favorite pic of Don was of him fully decked out in his wetsuit with diving goggles, a cigarette in the one hand and his drink of choice in the other. That was his body armor against COVID! ROTF

Even though I had never had the pleasure of meeting Don in person, I always felt like we were kindred spirits - he traveled gravel roads where others chose tarred ones, he made many mistakes that he paid dearly paid for, but yet he LIVED, he did not merely exist and in living, he gained more life experience than anyone else could ever dream of. For that, I take my hat off to him. As far as his model building was concerned, we were also very alike, He never built mainstream models, and when all his stars aligned during the build process; (something which did not happen very often) he would produce models of stupendous quality. His build of the Maris Stella Novilara and Ragusian Galley were my favorites (and I think his too!)

DSC_0432.jpg

The NOVILARA (above and below)

IMG_3427.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

RAGUSIAN GALLEY

After I had finished my Tanka sampan, he wrote this comment: To this day, this remains the most special comment someone has ever made on my work! - 4 August 2021

"If it were not so early in the day here, I would raise a glass in honor to you and the Tanka people for this wonderful log and story, for the time being you will have to be satisfied with a warm coffee and the several cigarettes I have consumed while thinking of what to say.
To take such a simple craft and create a tale (lesson) such as this is marvelous! It is with no doubt that I can say you have many, many Tanka people smiling down upon you thanking and blessing you for bringing to light their history and heritage.
A beautiful build and even better log my Friend!! THANK YOU"

Well, my friend, here it is early in the morning too. I do not have alcohol in the house so you too will have to be satisfied with a hot coffee and the several cigarettes I have consumed while thinking of what to say. Please know that you have touched the lives of many my friend, mine included. I am not going to mourn you; I am going to smile - smile in the knowledge that I have a brother - and smile in the knowledge that in my mind and heart you will always be there.

Cheers Bud - till next time!
Thank you for this message, Heinrich. Which you hope they do not actually appear but are unconditionally linked to life.
We will keep Don in our thoughts.
Regards, Peter

Back