Yards at 45 degrees

Hello, I'm starting rigging and looking ahead to how I would like to display the Yards with furled (semi-furled) sails. Because of space reason, I would like to have the yards at roughly 45 degrees or even more. Basically, with one end toward the deck and the other toward the sky.

I looked at a lot of pictures and could not find any with this configuration. Did anyone ever saw one? Was there even a purpose for it? such as dock at a port?
let me know if you came across anything. -- cheers

For reference, I'm working on the "HMS Revenge".

Merchant ships sometimes set their yards 'a-cockbilled' (vertically) to clear a warehouse etc when alongside a cargo wharf but as naval ships were rarely alongside a wharf I don't know if such a display would be 'correct' but that is up to you as the builder.

What Kurt has described I would call 'braced round' but there may be a specific term for it under the circumstance he describes.

I, too, had a shelf width issue with Revenge. I built it with the wind on the starboard quarter and the yards braced appropriately to reduce (slightly) the overall width.
I'm not sure how far the yards on a square rig can realistically be braced to catch a beam wind.
If mounted with the wall to windward I could have saved a bit more space by including some heel.
Done2.jpgdone3.jpg

There is another reason for setting yards cockbilled when the shio is ubndersail in that it allowed the yard to be braced further round so that the square sail acted as a lug sail. In some cases it was "hoisted by ye thirds" with the tack of the sail bowsed down close to the deck so looking even more like a lugsail. There is a minute picture of thos arrangement in the cover of Sutherland book "England's Glory" or "Shipbuilding Unveiled" written in 1717. Hwever whether this practice was in place during tudor times I do not know. The Royal Naval sloops as shown in the thumbnail would certainly have used this arrangement in an attempt to claw to windward.

I reduced the width required for spars on my Ragusian Carrack by turning them about 30 degrees to the side (not up and down). I had intended to go hearer 45 degrees, but found the shrouds hit then hit by the spar. It would also depend at what height you hoist the spars: higher allows more angular movement.

Here is a square sail being "Hoist by ye Thirds" but this may not have worked on Tudor Ships. Warships in the 18th Century could achieve about 70 degrees to the wind when beating but some of the smaller vessels could have achieved more, see my second slide from 1673.

pt2584 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• Advice Boat w Bilander Rig Britain's Glory Frontis-1.pdf
    583.4 KB · Views: 15
Back