Yet Another Revell 1:96 USS Constitution Build Log...

... likely to end in frustration, tears, and cursing. Or quietly fade away in shame. ;]
Hi, my name's Richard and I'm a modelholic. (Others: "Hi, Richard.")
I'm in the process of a second attempt to build the ubiquitous Revell 1:96 USS Constitution kit.
My first attempt was in 1970. I received the first kit for Christmas at the age of 12. I think my parents got it from the Sears catalog for $13. I actually made pretty decent progress on it although not a lot of quality in my work. I had gotten all the way up to the final step in the main assembly: Inserting the three masts. After that it would be rigging, rigging, rigging.
1969-Rick.jpg70s-Constitution-1.jpg70s-Constitution-2.jpg
I got the fore mast in without any problem. When I tried to insert the main, it turned out to be a tight fit. So, 12-year-old that I was, I forced it. The spar deck broke and collapsed into the gun deck, damaging that as well. The main mast shattered and most of the yards broke. In the melee, the fore mast and a great deal of the spar deck details also suffered damage. Being only 12, I gave up the entire project in disgust and threw it away.

Fast forward to 2005. I had re-entered the hobby after many years. Thanks to friends and fellow modellers in my local IPMS chapter, I was developing some decent modelling skills. I'd won a few trophies for builds entered in regional contests. My confidence was high so I decided to give the Constitution another go. Another Christmas, another kit (then around $80) and a slew of reference materials. I started planning my shipbuilding redemption, even making a trip to Boston to shoot many detailed photos.
IMG_0065.JPGIMG_0069.JPGIMG_0010.JPG
Then came a late-life career change, from Computer Engineer to Independent Filmmaker. I sold the lion's share of my expansive kit collection to finance equipment for my new endeavor. But not the Revell Constitution kit. Since it was partially started, I kept that, carefully packing it away.

Fast forward again to 2020. My wife and I decided to retire, leave Atlanta, and move to Hilton Head Island. I had already abandoned filmmaking in favor of writing by that time. Making movies takes a village and I can write a novel by myself in my underwear. Four books published so far, so that is working out well and there's no reason to stop due to retirement. The main benefit of "retiring" is that I can once again devote time and energy (and $) to modelling. So, out came the Connie.
2022-08-28 00.22.11.jpg
And that's where our present-day story begins. As you can see, I've gotten as far as assembling the hull and rudder, as well as some interior and exterior painting. After visiting the Constitution IRL, I decided to add some structural details on the gun deck. I may have been overly ambitious on this deck, since it will be hard to see once the ship is complete. I also committed to building a semi-realistic series of beams to support the spar deck. I say I'm committed because I cut away the lugs/tabs that were meant to support the spar deck, so I'm stuck with that decision.

And that's where I'll kick off this build log. I doubt I'll make lightning progress. My goal is to fill the display shelf above my newly-constructed workbench with something I'm halfway proud of but I'm in no hurry.
2022-09-07 14.03.04.jpg

Last edited:
I am looking forward following your building log - many thanks for starting (and the background information)

Update #001 (Lordy, the hubris in planning for posts to number in the triple-digits is comical.)

I've got the gun deck in now. You can see some markings where I shadowed the spar deck openings. That was partly to figure out which areas would be more visible later. It will also figure into the layout of the joists that will support the spar deck.
Side Note: I've read that you shouldn't glue the gun deck on this kit, but just let it float on its supports. Supposedly that's because installing the spar deck involves spreading the hull a bit and gluing the lower deck might make that more difficult. I dunno about that and, since I'm supporting the spar deck differently, I don't think I'll need to spread the hull at all during that installation. I glued mine. Hopefully that won't come back to bite me.
BTW, I'm planning to use a printed paper flooring (Plastruct PSP39) so I'm not worried about covering up the markings.
I also have the 1st coat of green (I went with RLM 83) on the spar deck inner sides, and I've painted the gun deck gratings (Old ModelMaster Acryl "Wood" which I hope is a close enough match to the Tamiya XF-59 Flat Desert Yellow I've ordered since I can't get any more of it).
2022-09-08 23.14.44.jpg

The next step will be adding the hanging knees on the sides (seen here on the real thing).
IMG_0023.JPG
At each frame, the angle of the hull changes, so each pair of opposing knees is unique. Since the knees will have to be scratch built, I'm only going to recreate the vertical knees, not the diagonal ones (thereby cutting my work by 2/3rds) because they wouldn't be that visible. And I'm only going to do then from frame #4 through #12, so less work there too.

After creating some paper patterns, I've started cutting out the roughs to be sanded to the correct shape. I did the ones for the #4 frame today as a proof-of-concept. That effort involved rigging up a mini drum sander using an old flexible shaft tool and an obsolete Dremel router attachment. It's getting the job done but I have to be careful to keep my speed slow so as not to melt the plastic.
2022-09-08 23.41.06.jpg
Here's the first two and the rough blanks along with the paper templates. The side bracing was made from square .080" styrene strip, so to make the knees the same width, I'm having to double up the blanks, gluing them together before shaping them with the drum sander.
2022-09-08 23.13.35.jpg
That's my stopping point for the night. More when I have something to report.

Let me know how it goes with the Tamiya paint. We have one last brick and mortar hobby shop in Manhattan. The Red Caboose. The proprietor has a pretty extensive collection of old ModelMaster acrylics in stock. I know he has various wood tones because I went through there recently. I’ll soon be back in Manhattan, so it wouldn’t be a big deal to go check, at some point. Just PM me, if the need arises.

I like what you’re doing with the Connie, and the shop space you have carved out for yourself is fabulous!

A Revell classic. Melting plastic with a Dremel… easy to do. I made a speed reducer to supplement the built-in vary speed selector. Simply a dimmer switch controlling a receptacle in a double gang box.

I look forward to watching the build

Very nice - I would be interested to see what you could do with the Model Expo wooden ship kit at 48" long.

A Revell classic. Melting plastic with a Dremel… easy to do. I made a speed reducer to supplement the built-in vary speed selector. Simply a dimmer switch controlling a receptacle in a double gang box.

I look forward to watching the build
Ooh. I'm glad you said that. I actually have (somewhere around here) a dimmer & outlet I wired up in a double-gang box for regulating a soldering iron. I'd forgotten all about it. Thanks!

Very nice - I would be interested to see what you could do with the Model Expo wooden ship kit at 48" long.
LOL, this one may be the death of me as it is. I'm also a plastics guy. My woodworking skills are more on the level of building shelves and bookcases.
Which reminds me... I have a wood Scientific USCG Eagle kit I should probably list for sale here. I'm never going to build it so it should go to someone that will appreciate it.

Lookin' good, Richard! I wish you continued success with the build! I've built 2 over the years (none ever reached the masting and rigging stage), but now I'm starting from scratch and converting the kit220802_sc_005.jpg220817_sc_002.jpg to her 1804 Tripoli appearance. Lots of cutting and scratchbuilding, including a figurehead and ornate stern.

Finally got my order of photoetched eyebolts from Bluejacket (USPS lost them in NH for a few days). Ordering online, without seeing a detailed item up close, can be confusing. I ended up getting the 1/4" x 1/32" version. Looks like they are perfect, although I'll likely have to trim the stems a little. Or maybe I'll try bending them over double so they lock into the holes better. They'll definitely be stronger than the kit-supplied eyebolts.
2022-09-18 16.07.09.jpg

Finally got my order of photoetched eyebolts from Bluejacket (USPS lost them in NH for a few days). Ordering online, without seeing a detailed item up close, can be confusing. I ended up getting the 1/4" x 1/32" version. Looks like they are perfect, although I'll likely have to trim the stems a little. Or maybe I'll try bending them over double so they lock into the holes better. They'll definitely be stronger than the kit-supplied eyebolts.
View attachment 329180
Nice! You can get stuff for the Connie that they don't have listed in their regular catalogue. The list is on the page for their Connie kit.

I'm joining the watch party! I need the inspiration. I've got 2 of these kits stashed away. I started one but it's sitting in a box waiting for me to get back to it and finish painting the copper portion of the hull. I did a dry fit of the transom but it was a horrible fit and I'd have to fill it with gobs of putty and sand and file and fill and sand and file and fill and so I put it down for a bit about 6 years ago.

I'm joining the watch party! I need the inspiration. I've got 2 of these kits stashed away. I started one but it's sitting in a box waiting for me to get back to it and finish painting the copper portion of the hull. I did a dry fit of the transom but it was a horrible fit and I'd have to fill it with gobs of putty and sand and file and fill and sand and file and fill and so I put it down for a bit about 6 years ago.
Hey, TA!!
I understand putting a model "down for a bit", I had 2 Connies sitting on the shelf for a while, and decided to make things interesting by modifying one of the kits to her 1804 appearance at Tripoli. Nice challenge, but still tedious after a while. So, to clear my mind, I switched to a MAYFLOWER (Revell 1/83) that I had started in 1972...I'm now finally mounting sails!
Once done, I'll get back to the Connie, fresh!

220913_sc_002.jpg

... likely to end in frustration, tears, and cursing. Or quietly fade away in shame. ;]
Hi, my name's Richard and I'm a modelholic. (Others: "Hi, Richard.")
I'm in the process of a second attempt to build the ubiquitous Revell 1:96 USS Constitution kit.
My first attempt was in 1970. I received the first kit for Christmas at the age of 12. I think my parents got it from the Sears catalog for $13. I actually made pretty decent progress on it although not a lot of quality in my work. I had gotten all the way up to the final step in the main assembly: Inserting the three masts. After that it would be rigging, rigging, rigging.
View attachment 327170View attachment 327171View attachment 327172
I got the fore mast in without any problem. When I tried to insert the main, it turned out to be a tight fit. So, 12-year-old that I was, I forced it. The spar deck broke and collapsed into the gun deck, damaging that as well. The main mast shattered and most of the yards broke. In the melee, the fore mast and a great deal of the spar deck details also suffered damage. Being only 12, I gave up the entire project in disgust and threw it away.

Fast forward to 2005. I had re-entered the hobby after many years. Thanks to friends and fellow modellers in my local IPMS chapter, I was developing some decent modelling skills. I'd won a few trophies for builds entered in regional contests. My confidence was high so I decided to give the Constitution another go. Another Christmas, another kit (then around $80) and a slew of reference materials. I started planning my shipbuilding redemption, even making a trip to Boston to shoot many detailed photos.
View attachment 327175View attachment 327176View attachment 327177
Then came a late-life career change, from Computer Engineer to Independent Filmmaker. I sold the lion's share of my expansive kit collection to finance equipment for my new endeavor. But not the Revell Constitution kit. Since it was partially started, I kept that, carefully packing it away.

Fast forward again to 2020. My wife and I decided to retire, leave Atlanta, and move to Hilton Head Island. I had already abandoned filmmaking in favor of writing by that time. Making movies takes a village and I can write a novel by myself in my underwear. Four books published so far, so that is working out well and there's no reason to stop due to retirement. The main benefit of "retiring" is that I can once again devote time and energy (and $) to modelling. So, out came the Connie.
View attachment 327182
And that's where our present-day story begins. As you can see, I've gotten as far as assembling the hull and rudder, as well as some interior and exterior painting. After visiting the Constitution IRL, I decided to add some structural details on the gun deck. I may have been overly ambitious on this deck, since it will be hard to see once the ship is complete. I also committed to building a semi-realistic series of beams to support the spar deck. I say I'm committed because I cut away the lugs/tabs that were meant to support the spar deck, so I'm stuck with that decision.

And that's where I'll kick off this build log. I doubt I'll make lightning progress. My goal is to fill the display shelf above my newly-constructed workbench with something I'm halfway proud of but I'm in no hurry.
View attachment 327186
Hallo @Greysteele
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I too love the Big C. I've built her many timesReady for running.jpg over the past 30 years for clients. Here is my last one, ready for the yards and running gear. BTW the Wild turkey American Honey is very smooth. I had not rigged the forestays completly in this pic yet. The hull treatment was 3 colors of Floquil Railroad colors with a turpentine wash.

Not a lot of progress to report, but I have a question: Do I have all of the rigging thread I'm supposed to have?
2022-10-09 12.55.58.jpg
I ask because I've started adding the cannon on the gun deck, which calls for the "Large Diameter Tan Thread". I started with what looks to me like the largest of the 3 tan threads (which I marked "L" for convenience). But somehow it doesn't look right compared to the photos I took IRL of that rigging.
2022-10-09 12.56.50.jpg
Is that the right thread or am I missing a size? For that matter, if the three sizes of tan/black thread are called S/M/L, then what's that big spool of waxed black thread called?

Thanks in advance for the help. I promise to post a real progress update this week, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise...

Update #002:

I've got the paper decking in on the gun deck. It didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped but at least that area won't be all that visible. And it's good practice for when I do the spar deck.
The cabin is painted and installed, as well as the eyebolts and half of the knees. I'm only installing nine of the knees on each side, centered around the main hatch. The rest only get the Y bracing. I scratched up some depressions for the rear wheels on the cannon to improve adhesion.

BTW, all of the cannon for this deck were improved and completed years ago, before this kit was set aside. I drilled out the barrels and smoothed all seams. The wheels on the carriages were removed and replaced with slices of styrene rod.
2022-10-10 12.50.42.jpg2022-10-10 00.47.38.jpg
2022-10-10 12.50.18.jpg

Update 003:
(I know it's been a while, but I *did* warn that my progress and posts might be sporadic...)
I've got the guns on the gun deck installed and rigged (as much as I'm going to rig them, anyway). I'm actually pleased with the sag I managed to form into the ropes. And I'm very glad I opted to order Bluejacket's photoetched eyebolts. They're a grand improvement over the kit parts.
Like most details on this deck, the knees and overhead beams I made will barely be visible through the gun ports and the one open hatch. Despite that, I'm adding some shot racks around three of the hatches. I tried to accurately depict them using wire but I wasn't pleased with the results so I'm doing those as solid racks instead. Thank goodness I got a drill press attachment for my Dremel for Christmas! I've settled on 2mm ball bearings for the cannon balls but I'm waiting on some brass ones to replace the stainless steel versions I bought first. Using brass will make blackening them a lot easier.
2023-01-01 12.47.06.jpg
2023-01-01 12.46.35.jpg2022-12-31 21.12.04.jpg
2022-12-31 21.11.46.jpg
2023-01-01 12.54.03.jpg
In case y'all are thinking I'm the world's slowest builder, I did finish another build since my last update. It just wasn't a ship.
Here's my completed Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle from the old 60's kid's show Captain Scarlet. It was built using a kit by Imai. It presented a lot of challenges because it was intended to be built as a toy. Lot's of "action features" and poor detailing had to be corrected. One pair of wheels didn't match the rest and had to be resin cast. The rear tracks were so bad that I ended up recreating them using leftover tracks from a 1:72 scale WW2 tank.
2022-12-18 19.34.13.jpg2022-12-18 19.34.29.jpg

Back