YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

Okay, I know it's early, but it's confession time already.
Yesterday evening I bonded together the fwd and aft lower frame parts and also bonded the two fwd LH and RH frame halves of frame #8. While doing this I paid meticulous attention towards the butt joints between the frame parts. Already see it coming? Well, I didn't until later, when I checked the bonded frame parts against the drawing; approx 0,8mm out. I think I could average the error, but this doesn't sit right with me, so now I'm in for my first of heaven knows how many fixes. First order of business: how do I remove the affected part from the frame assembly?

To be continued.

Okay, I know it's early, but it's confession time already.
Yesterday evening I bonded together the fwd and aft lower frame parts and also bonded the two fwd LH and RH frame halves of frame #8. While doing this I paid meticulous attention towards the butt joints between the frame parts. Already see it coming? Well, I didn't until later, when I checked the bonded frame parts against the drawing; approx 0,8mm out. I think I could average the error, but this doesn't sit right with me, so now I'm in for my first of heaven knows how many fixes. First order of business: how do I remove the affected part from the frame assembly?

To be continued.
Aaai ........ Johan.
First of all, my compliments for sharing the mistake you made with us. You could also ...... domtiedomtiedom ....... fixed it and show it.
You may be able to steam the glue to loosen it?
With the frames it's check, check double-check.
But welcome to the club of 'restorers during new construction'.
Hope you can redo it.
Regards, Peter

Unfortunately no progress to report. Yesterday evening the Admiral and I went for our first covid-19 booster shot. Like with the previous two shots we are now bedridden. High fevers, headache, muscle- and joint aches. Not really favorable to get things done. Hopefully we'll see an improved situation tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Sick

Unfortunately no progress to report. Yesterday evening the Admiral and I went for our first covid-19 booster shot. Like with the previous two shots we are now bedridden. High fevers, headache, muscle- and joint aches. Not really favorable to get things done. Hopefully we'll see an improved situation tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Sick
But the booster is supposed to make you safer, not feel better.

I had issue with my second dose shot, I will not take a booster.

Hope you get well and the Admiral and you get back to what ever is normal for you.

My Admiral and I got yesterday also out booster. We feel the same like you. Ggrrr ….

But the booster is supposed to make you safer, not feel better.

I had issue with my second dose shot, I will not take a booster.

Hope you get well and the Admiral and you get back to what ever is normal for you.
Thanks!

So that was booster shot number one. If I understand correctly, we're in for at least 4 additional shots...
But enough of that, on to more pleasant things; as posted before, I started with frame 8 and had my first non-conformance. I followed Peter's advice, used some steam and had the parts separated in no time.
Now the assembly is again waiting for the adhesive to set.
Wanting to use the drying time somewhat useful, I started to identify all the keel parts and am now busy with removing char... What a tedious job.

Offensive frame part detached, remarkable low moisture intrusion ánd a very fast process

A1CDFE46-C309-46A6-876F-7B3683913E28.jpeg

Frame set aside to dry and started preparations for keel assembly.

39A081ED-2A59-4376-B3B3-DF50CDB0EB06.jpeg

Looks like you are making great progress. I'll be following your build log closely as my Bluenose should arrive next month sometime. I haven't even received the box, much less opened it, and I'm already feeling overwhelmed.

Looks like you are making great progress. I'll be following your build log closely as my Bluenose should arrive next month sometime. I haven't even received the box, much less opened it, and I'm already feeling overwhelmed.
Progress is rather slow, but I don't want to be rushed.
Oh, just wait till you open the box... ;)

Yesterday and today saw a lot of char removal from the center keel parts and dry fitting those parts.
Spend quite some time making sure now light escaped from between the gaps.
Fit is very good, little to no trim required, clamping of the parts is somewhat cumbersome, but manageable. Bonded all center keel parts and I must say, I'm pretty pleased with the results.
No unpleasant surprises today...
What struck me however was there doesn't appear to be a possibility to check the center keel assembly against the drawing...

A102F180-B3C2-424B-A061-D1846917722B.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday and today saw a lot of char removal from the center keel parts and dry fitting those parts.
Spend quite some time making sure now light escaped from between the gaps.
Fit is very good, little to no trim required, clamping of the parts is somewhat cumbersome, but manageable. Bonded all center keel parts and I must say, I'm pretty pleased with the results.
No unpleasant surprises today...
What struck me however was there doesn't appear to be a possibility to check the center keel assembly against the drawing...

View attachment 279564
I don’t remember if the side view was 1:1?

I am glad you could remake the frame.
And the keel looks nice and straight. To check, you can use drawing 8-7.
Regards, Peter

I don’t remember if the side view was 1:1?

Peter, your tip concerning the frame was golden.

Just checked the drawings,scale 1:1 (make sure to flatten the drawing properly) and the center keel assembly is as close a match as can be.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Back