YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you Johan. The very same to you and your family!

This first day of the year 2022 saw some building action, apart from dismantling and removing the Christmas tree and other decorations. The center keel was complete, so now I could turn my attention towards the RH-keel parts.
First order of business was to bevel the infamous part 18. To my intense surprise this was a lot less awkward than I anticipated. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same for the LH side...
Furthermore I bonded parts 20 through 22 to the center keel assembly. Here I encountered an unexpected issue. Part 21, simple, almost rectangular in shape, flat, was provided with adhesive, positioned to tjphe center keel assembly and clamped... with way too few clamps. My suspicion is that, since the RH- and LH keel parts are relatively thin ánd the adhesive is rather moist, the lack of sufficient clamps allowed part 21 to warp, due to moist absorption. Luckily I discovered this phenomenon quickly enough, so I removed the part, cleaned it all up, reapplied the adhesive and attached the part again, now with substantial more clamps.
Oh, and I made sure the bevel of part 20 is pointing towards the centerline

The results of a well spent afternoon. Parts 18 and 17 awaiting assembly, though char still has to be removed.

Funny, I have two lights, one coming from over my left shoulder, the other from my right, the shadows these lights are dropping are quite misleading...

642002BF-735F-45E1-80E5-74C3B599D449.jpeg

I think I should explain a little why I changed my focus from building the frames to the assembly of the keel.
As a kind of overture I started work on the Bluenose with frame #8. While in work, I realized that I wanted to be able to check the relevant interfaces of the frames, first with the main jig, where the tops of the frames fit in notches, and second with the keel assembly, where the notched lower parts of the frames slide over the keel assembly. I want to be able to check the fit of each and every frame and I also want to make sure to lower edge of the (beveled) frames aligns properly with the rebate of the keel assembly.
So that's the reason the keel assembly is now slowly taking shape, prior to the assembly of the frames.

I think I should explain a little why I changed my focus from building the frames to the assembly of the keel.
As a kind of overture I started work on the Bluenose with frame #8. While in work, I realized that I wanted to be able to check the relevant interfaces of the frames, first with the main jig, where the tops of the frames fit in notches, and second with the keel assembly, where the notched lower parts of the frames slide over the keel assembly. I want to be able to check the fit of each and every frame and I also want to make sure to lower edge of the (beveled) frames aligns properly with the rebate of the keel assembly.
So that's the reason the keel assembly is now slowly taking shape, prior to the assembly of the frames.
Sounds like good logic to me!
At the end of the day, regardless of which order you build them, the adjustments will have to be made for the jig and the keel. ;)

No pictures today, still working on completing the keel assembly, parts 18 LH and RH are the only remaining parts, still to be bonded to the assembly.
Did I already mention that removing char is a tedious chore?
I also experienced, to my chagrin, that the thin keel parts are rather suspectable to breakage. :mad:
One careless moment is enough to increase the parts count by one...

Another day, with a couple of hours spend working on the keel assembly. So far complete, also removed quite a bit of char. Once the frames start coming in, additional attention (material removal) is required to make sure the frames fit properly on the keel.
I had a lot of difficulties getting the keel assembly right, despite trying to work as carefully as I possibly can. As I already mentioned, warping (after adhesive application) and the fragility of parts, but also keeping parts properly aligned (or avoiding "floating") during the adhesive curing process. Beveled and in place are frames #1 and #8. The interfaces of these frames with the keel still need trimming.
When looking ahead, what journey still awaits me, I came to realize I'm way in over my head. Admittedly, I'm no craftsman and I simply lack the necessary woodworking capabilities/experience, so it's a lot of trial and error, despite having build two models before, but that was forty years ago. All relevant experience seems to have slipped through the crevasses of time.
Well, up to frame #2, #3, #4... Initially I thought about some customization, but I'll be terribly pleased when I'll be able to end up with an acceptable representation of the BN.

Completed keel assembly and frames #1 and #8 in jig.

BE4F2D18-E629-43E4-BE35-653AC5F1DF97.jpeg

Aft view of keel assembly

DE5A609E-CE6B-4EB2-9760-79F96DBF6C23.jpeg

Front view of keel assembly

6F9D0C1A-176B-48D5-895B-4B32AEFB0061.jpeg

Like I mentioned yesterday, it's time for more frame assemblies. Since I already had frames #1 and #8, I decided to take frames #2 through #7 out of the box for processing.
This process was abruptly halted at frame #3; I needed a very minute adjustment to the alignment of both parts... :mad: And not even associated with a nice resounding crack, it just snapped.
So now I had two frame halves, instead of one nice frame assembly, as intended.
I don't know if I made the right decision, but I went for a repair of the broken frame. Since the fracture is in a critical area, I decided to insert two pins, made from two 0,4mm nails, pre-drilled holes in both frame halves and re-attached both parts with some adhesive in between. Now I am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping to have regained sufficient rigidity for beveling and trimming...

The two frame halves, with the part on the right side having the pins installed.
The part on the left has two corresponding holes to receive the two pins.
A99175F1-21B6-4D63-8BB5-F1760D3568ED.jpeg

A picture of the two halves, normal to the fracture, unfortunately slightly hazy.
9AF4558F-E72C-423B-B580-0E6C3937718D.jpeg

Frame #3, after repairs.
0949197F-AE22-447E-B14D-A8F1975EEE91.jpeg

Today I am not willing to press my luck any further, so, as long as it's dry, I'll take out my ebike this afternoon for some relaxed cycling.

A43FDFFE-8136-4254-81A7-78B1E7CE8FE9.jpeg

Oops - that is unfortunate. However, your fix should work perfectly. I agree with you on taking a break if things don't go according to plan. It clears the mind and when you return, you tackle the problem afresh.

Hi Johan,
I've read the progress of the past few days. Changing a schedule or good grounds is never wrong. And do something different, in-between getting rid of laser cool on 54 frames, is never wrong.
And the frames are indeed fragile. Especially those with the slightly longer truss ends.
I assume the last photo of post #48 is for asking a reply? (Something is upside down). What calls for a response.......
In any case: well done so far!
Regards, Peter

Hi Johan,
I've read the progress of the past few days. Changing a schedule or good grounds is never wrong. And do something different, in-between getting rid of laser cool on 54 frames, is never wrong.
And the frames are indeed fragile. Especially those with the slightly longer truss ends.
I assume the last photo of post #48 is for asking a reply? (Something is upside down). What calls for a response.......
In any case: well done so far!
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your motivational words, I appreciate those!
The last picture of post #48 was intentional; the frames #1 and #8 were not fitting comfortably to the keel and still needed a little fiddling. That's why the keel is shown upside down w.r.t. the assembly jig.

This any better?
77F0787D-5969-46DB-8B89-B2ABC02FE870.jpeg

That was a nice, although chilly, bike ride, enough to clear my mind and continue work on the frames. A local restaurant offered takeaway cappuccino, so no further need for Starbucks...
Now frames #2 through #7 are bonded.
Frames #4 through #6 have the two long frame halves spliced in the centerline. Based on my repair of frame #3, I decided to use a pin to reinforce the joint. I hope to benefit from this feature later in the build, especially when aligning the frames with the keel and the assembly jig. I am counting on obtaining sufficient rigidity when all frames have been bonded to the keel, then the pins have become obsolete.

Progress, however small, has been made! ;)
2043989C-3B84-4950-ABA3-A55B8E52C751.jpeg

Last edited:
That was a nice, although chilly, bike ride, enough to clear my mind and continue work on the frames. A local restaurant offered takeaway cappuccino, so no further need for Starbucks...
Now frames #2 through #7 are bonded.
Frames #4 through #6 have the two long frame halves spliced in the centerline. Based on my repair of frame #3, I decided to use a pin to reinforce the joint. I hope to benefit from this feature later in the build, especially when aligning the frames with the keel and the assembly jig. I am counting on obtaining sufficient rigidity when all frames have been bonded to the keel, than the pins have become obsolete.

Progress, however small, has been made! ;)
View attachment 280589
Have to be candid. . . your keel line pointing to the Gulfstream G650 took my mind off of the schooner and into the sky. I don't recall seeing the YQ frames being set up and the keel down before. Possibly too many lingering views of the frames and keel in the "cathedral" format. Two wheeled horse rides are a good way to refocus your mind and hands as you progress. Slow and steady as you go. Rich (PT-2)

Have to be candid. . . your keel line pointing to the Gulfstream G650 took my mind off of the schooner and into the sky. I don't recall seeing the YQ frames being set up and the keel down before. Possibly too many lingering views of the frames and keel in the "cathedral" format. Two wheeled horse rides are a good way to refocus your mind and hands as you progress. Slow and steady as you go. Rich (PT-2)
Yep, the beautiful G650. I was the design lead for the tail’s main composites during its development, but that was another era. Still having fond memories of the visits, paid to Gulfstream at the time

I took the shot when the two frames and the keel didn’t match without some (to my mind) undue force. So I opted for a slightly different arrangement for my picture. Later on I will conform to the "cathedral" view.

Luckily we do have rather good bicycle tracks throughout the Netherlands, so that makes for somewhat safe and relaxed bicycling. And the added benefits of an e-bike, of course, especially for the Admiral, who, because of her artrosis, could no longer use her traditional bike.

The initial work seems to go on forever…lol…gluing and beveling frames, and of course building the keel. Then adjusting notches in the keel and jig. Eventually you will have them all finished and glued together. After which you will be doing the internal framing! So don’t rush…all in due time! ;)

The initial work seems to go on forever…lol…gluing and beveling frames, and of course building the keel. Then adjusting notches in the keel and jig. Eventually you will have them all finished and glued together. After which you will be doing the internal framing! So don’t rush…all in due time! ;)
Yes, it is about the journey/voyage and not the ending pier. Rich

Back