YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

The completed work looks excellent Johan. I so dearly wanted to implement lighting as well on the second WB, but I just do not have the experience or knowledge for that. Yours is coming along beautifully!
Thanks Heinrich!
Mind you, I have zero experience in adding lights to anything, so I searched the internet, talked to @Henk Liebre about the lights in his sub, tinkered around a little bit and started adding lights, with a lot of setbacks. As I said, for another build I will definitely look into streamlining/simplifying the installation of lights.

The customizations I'm implementing are very time consuming, the main reason being I don't have enough small dwarfs for me to do the job. ;)
For the focsle I build a table and a set of bunks. Those were installed without too much fanfare.
Then I came to the conclusion that the wires, resistors and soldered connections were taking up quite some space and worse, they were visible from the starboard side, the side which remains "open". That resulted in the conclusion that I needed a cable duct to hide from view, to some extend, the wires, resistors and connections. So I fabricated an open cable duct, which in turn required modifications to the already finished bunks, galley and the first bulkhead.
After installing the cable duct it was the time to install the deckbeams bordering the front mast fore and aft and the focsle access hatch, also for and aft. Those beams, plus the adjoining ones, 12/13 and 18/19, which accommodate a light point each, became an assembly, after connecting all the lights, five in total for that area. After adding this assembly to the skeleton, I tested, once more the lights and, to my delight, they were all good.
The coming weeks will not see much building activity; the Admiral and I will enjoy a stay on Lanzarote and the Bluenose stays were she is, in the shipyard, at home.

The open cable duct, left is fwd. The step, approx midpoint, accommodates the step in the forward and aft decks.
View attachment 314550

Bunks and table added, I couldn't lower the focsle floor more than I did. The space available didn't allow me to make all of it to scale. It does look nice though.
On the port side the cable duct can be seen.
View attachment 314551

View looking down into the cable duct. For a future build I would look for methods to reduce the wiring mess.
On the right hand side the opening for the focsle access hatch can be seen.
View attachment 314554

Test of the five lights in the focsle and nav lights: pass!
View attachment 314559

View looking fwd, with the aft partition wall of the galley in plain sight.
No clear visibility of the bunks, nor the table, unfortunately.
View attachment 314556

Next up are the bulkheads, separating the focsle and fwd fishhold and the two fishholds and the deck beams, holding a light, but that'll have to wait until after our little break.
A beautifully decorated and featured lightning of the forecastle, Johan. Enjoy your stay on Lanzarote.
Regards, Peter

Thanks Heinrich!
Mind you, I have zero experience in adding lights to anything, so I searched the internet, talked to @Henk Liebre about the lights in his sub, tinkered around a little bit and started adding lights, with a lot of setbacks. As I said, for another build I will definitely look into streamlining/simplifying the installation of lights.
Oh, and by the way, this build will definitely not see a saw, cutting her in half.

View attachment 286115
Buona sera Pietro, può esserti utile?
Mr Mastini's book is like a bible for me. Of the many model building books in my library this is the one I seem to come back to most often. So much so, in fact, that my original copy became so worn, dog-eared and filled with marginalia that I had to buy a second copy purely for the pleasure of reading it!

Mr Mastini's book is like a bible for me. Of the many model building books in my library this is the one I seem to come back to most often. So much so, in fact, that my original copy became so worn, dog-eared and filled with marginalia that I had to buy a second copy purely for the pleasure of reading it!
I'm with you on that one Frank. It was the first (and only) book I read when I started with my Bluenose a year ago and I enjoyed the manner in which the reader, particularly newbies to the hobby, are eased into the world of ship modelling and encouraged not be be overwhelmed by all the new concepts and procedures. Great book Thumbsup

The customizations I'm implementing are very time consuming, the main reason being I don't have enough small dwarfs for me to do the job. ;)
For the focsle I build a table and a set of bunks. Those were installed without too much fanfare.
Then I came to the conclusion that the wires, resistors and soldered connections were taking up quite some space and worse, they were visible from the starboard side, the side which remains "open". That resulted in the conclusion that I needed a cable duct to hide from view, to some extend, the wires, resistors and connections. So I fabricated an open cable duct, which in turn required modifications to the already finished bunks, galley and the first bulkhead.
After installing the cable duct it was the time to install the deckbeams bordering the front mast fore and aft and the focsle access hatch, also for and aft. Those beams, plus the adjoining ones, 12/13 and 18/19, which accommodate a light point each, became an assembly, after connecting all the lights, five in total for that area, see also post #403. After adding this assembly to the skeleton, I tested, once more the lights and, to my delight, they were all good.
The coming weeks will not see much building activity; the Admiral and I will enjoy a stay on Lanzarote and the Bluenose stays were she is, in the shipyard, at home.

The open cable duct, left is fwd. The step, approx midpoint, accommodates the step in the forward and aft decks.
View attachment 314550

Bunks and table added, I couldn't lower the focsle floor more than I did. The space available didn't allow me to make all of it to scale. It does look nice though.
On the port side the cable duct can be seen.
View attachment 314551

View looking down into the cable duct. For a future build I would look for methods to reduce the wiring mess.
On the right hand side the opening for the focsle access hatch can be seen.
View attachment 314554

Test of the five lights in the focsle and nav lights: pass!
View attachment 314559

View looking fwd, with the aft partition wall of the galley in plain sight.
No clear visibility of the bunks, nor the table, unfortunately.
View attachment 314556

Next up are the bulkheads, separating the focsle and fwd fishhold and the two fishholds and the deck beams, holding a light, but that'll have to wait until after our little break.
really good work Johann!!!! PS I enjoy the lightsabers ;) ...green for Jedi and red for "the dark side"ROTF.

Good morning Johann...you enjoy making your life difficult I see ;) . Installing nav lights will be no easy feat...I'm super interested to see how the masts will be done? Cheers Grant.
Hello Grant, I just can't help myself; browsing around on SOS gives me so many ideas, so the lights had to go in, as well as some interior parts. I think they add to the appearance of the model and expand and improve my skills (hopefully)... ;)
The nav lights are still reason for concern; the wires are not exactly invisible, nor are they to scale. I have some ideas on how to install them, but it still need to be finalized. Luckily it's not (yet) an immediate issue.

Hello Johan, Great job you have done on your Focfel along with that great lighting, your YQ Bluenose sure is looking great, she sure will make a great display and a wonderful night lamp. We returned Saturday PM from my Admirals Birthday vacation up at the Byers Lodge on the French River, had a great time but no fish at all. I have not looked at my YQ Bluenose at all this week, just to much to do trying to catch up around home. I seam to be moving very slow these days, so I have to get a bit of get up and go.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Johan, Great job you have done on your Focfel along with that great lighting, your YQ Bluenose sure is looking great, she sure will make a great display and a wonderful night lamp. We returned Saturday PM from my Admirals Birthday vacation up at the Byers Lodge on the French River, had a great time but no fish at all. I have not looked at my YQ Bluenose at all this week, just to much to do trying to catch up around home. I seam to be moving very slow these days, so I have to get a bit of get up and go.
Regards Lawrence
Belated happy anniversary for your Admiral, Lawrence. I hoped you spend a pleasant day with her.
The Admiral and I are also enjoying a break, on one of the Canarian islands. It's especially the nice and quiet which attracts us, at least, if you stay away from the more commercialized hotspots.
It's also a plus to be away from the normal everyday routine for awhile.
I'm suspecting Byers Lodge is a special place, imagining it's at the edge of the river and surrounded by forest...
Kind regards # Johan

No progress on the Bluenose, just something off-topic, but sideways related.
During a bicycle ride on Lanzarote we came across some interesting maritime themes.

A fisherman's tribute, next to the inner harbor for the small fishers fleet:
9F3A8BE7-6FED-4698-BBC6-8B3F723DBE11.jpeg

The wreckage of an, at least to me, unidentified ship:
048B215F-B349-4621-A462-C7E0E7D6E41E.jpeg
AAFC1654-EC58-48E9-B729-653FCCD96885.jpeg87825EE8-C6E2-4AED-8E5D-614D74F8BCD7.jpeg

In the outer harbor, the display of a derelict sailing vessel:308B1143-2020-4AC2-A80A-3D42F620984A.jpeg

This was the first time we explored part of the island by (e-)bike. It was a very pleasurable experience, but the e-bikes were a must-have, unless one would limit one's tour to the coastal towns.
CE831AB7-616A-44C9-80F3-39CD801D1B65.jpeg

Last edited:
Belated happy anniversary for your Admiral, Lawrence. I hoped you spend a pleasant day with her.
The Admiral and I are also enjoying a break, on one of the Canarian islands. It's especially the nice and quiet which attracts us, at least, if you stay away from the more commercialized hotspots.
It's also a plus to be away from the normal everyday routine for awhile.
I'm suspecting Byers Lodge is a special place, imagining it's at the edge of the river and surrounded by forest...
Kind regards # Johan
Hello Johan , I do thank you very much for your very kind words and nice wishes. Yes the Briars Lodge is a very nice and interesting place with a lot of Canadian history. On a fogy mornings one can almost see and hear the Voyagers as they made there way to the lake head or back to Montreal, this place seams to have a lot of spirits that seam to go on living here year after year.
That is a great picture of your Admiral and you enjoying your recant adventure. You guys look so content and relaxed.
I hope to get back to my YQ Bluenose soon, as it seams like such a long time since I worked in the Old Ship Yard, have been thinking about it quite a lot lately but that is as far as it gets as Peter races ahead with his very interesting build, putting me to shame.
Regards Lawrence

Back