YQ Bluenose completed Mallacoota

This is now complete. Very satisfying model to build, dont know how I will go back to POB after doing my first POF. The planking is so much easier and the result looks so much better. Many things I could have done better with more skill and the photos are hard reviewers , every bad spot is somehow highlighted. I built this as it came in the box except for the following...I used some rigging cord I already had, some from Amati(good) amd some from Caldercraft( better) and I used Zoly's blocks( brilliant) I also added some brass rings to the rigging of the gaff lifts. Otherwise it is as bought. My main takeaways (which will be different to others) is the critical importance of getting really good alignment on the hull frames and then positioning the rails for the deck beams at the correct height and angle. This is really important, and I ended up with my deck a little too high and had to work around that. OK in the end but a mistake worth avoiding. I found that much is made of the bevelling of the frames. My personal opinion is that this should be done fore and aft to a moderate extent but is not critical during framing as you can get the best result with a fairing stick after construction. I had some instances of edges breaking when bevelling before assembly. I know others will disagree strongly with this but vive la difference..! It is a really fun build, am planning to build it again either this exact one again (better) or maybe the POB MS version. Still to decide.

IMG_20210810_105950.jpgIMG_20210810_105958.jpgIMG_20210810_110006.jpgIMG_20210810_110025.jpgIMG_20210810_110058.jpgIMG_20210810_110115.jpgIMG_20210810_110127.jpgIMG_20210810_110133.jpgIMG_20210810_110138.jpgIMG_20210810_110145.jpgIMG_20210810_110152.jpgIMG_20210810_110159.jpgIMG_20210810_110205.jpgIMG_20210810_110216.jpgIMG_20210810_110221.jpgIMG_20210810_110228.jpgIMG_20210810_110240.jpgIMG_20210810_110241.jpgIMG_20210810_110254.jpgIMG_20210810_110337.jpg

This is now complete. Very satisfying model to build, dont know how I will go back to POB after doing my first POF. The planking is so much easier and the result looks so much better. Many things I could have done better with more skill and the photos are hard reviewers , every bad spot is somehow highlighted. I built this as it came in the box except for the following...I used some rigging cord I already had, some from Amati(good) amd some from Caldercraft( better) and I used Zoly's blocks( brilliant) I also added some brass rings to the rigging of the gaff lifts. Otherwise it is as bought. My main takeaways (which will be different to others) is the critical importance of getting really good alignment on the hull frames and then positioning the rails for the deck beams at the correct height and angle. This is really important, and I ended up with my deck a little too high and had to work around that. OK in the end but a mistake worth avoiding. I found that much is made of the bevelling of the frames. My personal opinion is that this should be done fore and aft to a moderate extent but is not critical during framing as you can get the best result with a fairing stick after construction. I had some instances of edges breaking when bevelling before assembly. I know others will disagree strongly with this but vive la difference..! It is a really fun build, am planning to build it again either this exact one again (better) or maybe the POB MS version. Still to decide.

View attachment 249135View attachment 249136View attachment 249137View attachment 249138View attachment 249139View attachment 249140View attachment 249141View attachment 249142View attachment 249143View attachment 249144View attachment 249145View attachment 249146View attachment 249147View attachment 249148View attachment 249149View attachment 249150View attachment 249151View attachment 249152View attachment 249153View attachment 249154
NIce work and model to present. Now you can sit back to regroup and see what may be next to you on the dock. Rich (PT-2)

Hi John. Congratulations on a very fine accomplishment! You have certainly done yourself and Bluenose proud. I feel like a proud father !:)

恭喜约翰的作品完工。非常漂亮的蓝鼻号,一侧全肋展示,另一侧上了色,真的特别棒!希望我可以将图片展示到我的微信上。

Congratulations! She is looking very good - very good work!

Many thanks for all your kind words. I enjoyed making this model a lot, pity there are not lots of POF choices to go on with. I am certainly not a scratch builder. If anyone knows other POF options then I would love to hear about them. I am not really keen on another square rigged model after the work I put into Endeavour, and there is only one Bluenose....Hmmmmm..

Many thanks for all your kind words. I enjoyed making this model a lot, pity there are not lots of POF choices to go on with. I am certainly not a scratch builder. If anyone knows other POF options then I would love to hear about them. I am not really keen on another square rigged model after the work I put into Endeavour, and there is only one Bluenose....Hmmmmm..
What do you think about the Le Coureur, a wonderfull logger rigged and clincer planked ship?
Also POF build with complete interior in scale 1:48, developed by CAF - a wonderful kit

monographie-du-coureur-lougre-1776 (1).jpg

We have the group build:

John you have built a beautiful Bluenose and I am so happy that you have enjoyed the journey so much. Your Bluenose looks absolutely stunning - and more importantly - you have done yourself proud. I can understand that you would like to stick to POF - to such an extent that you are even considering building another copy of Bluenose. :)The MSW kit is - of course - not a POF build, but is something different again.

I have no idea if you are interested in building warships - if you are, there are many possibilities to consider. I am a PM away if you want to discuss this.

But the topic now is Bluenose - and all I can say is KUDOS to you on a very well done job! Thumbs-Up

John you have built a beautiful Bluenose and I am so happy that you have enjoyed the journey so much. Your Bluenose looks absolutely stunning - and more importantly - you have done yourself proud. I can understand that you would like to stick to POF - to such an extent that you are even considering building another copy of Bluenose. :)The MSW kit is - of course - not a POF build, but is something different again.

I have no idea if you are interested in building warships - if you are, there are many possibilities to consider. I am a PM away if you want to discuss this.

But the topic now is Bluenose - and all I can say is KUDOS to you on a very well done job! Thumbs-Up
Thanks for your kind words Heinrich. I had planned on it keeping me off the streets for 12 months but it only took 4 because of our constant state wide covid lockdowns ( now enjoying our sixth). I have actually ordered the Model Shipways BN because someone in the family is wanting my YQ one and it is quite a different build. After that I will probably be looking for a return to a more traditional ship. I think Le Coureur looks good and there might be a new POB available by then.

Many thanks
As the MS2130 is a POB fairing the accurately set bulkheads is essential for smoothly flowing hull planking which needs to be in the 30 - 40 ft scale length at the 64 scale and those butted ends centered on bulkheads. There is more of a challenge in the deck planking as with the nibbed ends they may be not supported beneath. The larger scale makes some things easier to do but I was not satisfied with some of the Britannia white metal castings but the wheel was OK. You will see on the sail plan that there are options in how you may rig it with either a racing or fishing arrangement. Oh yes, the anchors were not correct but there is information about that. The other real challenge was with the winch and windlass as some of those cast parts were not correct for the assembly. I elected to go with a fishing presentation and equipage and have made numerous barrels, buckets, and other gear needed for dory fishing. I hope that you have a good time with it. Rich (PT-2)

Thanks Rich, I get that. I have very limited parts manufacturing capability and will largely have to build what I get except that there are some after market generic parts available. I will just make it as reasonably accurate as I can. I am inclined towards maybe a furled sail presentation but that is am decision for down the track.

Thanks Rich, I get that. I have very limited parts manufacturing capability and will largely have to build what I get except that there are some after market generic parts available. I will just make it as reasonably accurate as I can. I am inclined towards maybe a furled sail presentation but that is am decision for down the track.
I forgot to strongly recommend that once you see the blocks and dead eyes in the kit that you order blocks from Dry Dock as they are far superior I also did not use the lines provided but ordered others for both standing and running rigging lines. You can use your own preferred source for the sizes that you want. One thing that I think was in insufficient amount were the brass strips, 1/64 x 1/16 inches. Those were no longer being offered by K&S but I did get a wider strip which I paid quite a bit to have milled down to proper width for an ample supply. For my first strip canoes I had ordered a large supply of the .020 brass rods in case that I decided to use them for a nailed presentation which I did not but have used a lot of those rods in the small metal fittings that have to be made for the spars as they are correct and not the eyebolts used in the YQ. You will see all of that on the plans. There was ample wood provided but not labeled so I spent some time sorting it out into marked sizes bundles.. Rich (PT_2)

Back