YQ Bluenose Ted R

I found it easy to install the sides by holding the boat upside down and using ca glue work my way down to the stern. The only fiddley but is starting at the bow. I tacked it, let it cure and then proceeded.IMG20240927192701.jpg

Thank you Daniel. The second is going easier than the first. I don't know why I was dreading this so much. I was afraid of screwing this up. A total restart like I did with the frames wouldn't be practical with these fragile parts. I'm actually having fun. I broke one of the frames while bending the sides but easily repaired it.
Best regards
Ted
IMG20240928044826.jpg

Edit: After working on these for several days I have found that making the shavings .5mm thick works out perfectly. They are easier to work with and provide a finished hoop that is almost exactly like the photos!

Much earlier, in someone's build log, I saw that they had made the mast hoops by glueing slivers of wood shaved by a plane into the hoops. See the little pile of shavings I have so far below in the photos.IMG20240928152846.jpg
I have spent two days searching for this correct build log so I can review and imitate this detail.
Can someone point e to the correct build log?
Best regards
Ted

Last edited:
Much earlier, in someone's build log, I saw that they had made the mast hoops by glueing slivers of wood shaved by a plane into the hoops. See the little pile of shavings I have so far below in the photos.View attachment 473906
I have spent two days searching for this correct build log so I can review and imitate this detail.
Can someone point e to the correct build log?
Best regards
Ted
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...cale-completed-build.6907/page-40#post-328794

The staining is inconsistent due to the saturation of the pva glue.
The stained and white painted parts show the roughness of construction so I am thinking of painting the parts black.
Any suggestions or recommendations.
Best regards
Ted IMG20241001073246.jpg

The staining is inconsistent due to the saturation of the pva glue.
The stained and white painted parts show the roughness of construction so I am thinking of painting the parts black.
Any suggestions or recommendations.
Best regards
Ted View attachment 474298
To be honest, I didn't even bother using wood curls to fabricate the mast hoops. Instead I followed @Peter Voogt's lead and used a thicker white paper to cut and wind my mast hoops using diluted wood glue and sometimes a touch of CA. Admittedly, that worked surprisingly well.

Left a higher (2mm) hoop, right the final configuration I used, 1mm high, diameter pending the intended location (lower- or top masts).
The only drawback; you can't put too much tension on the paper hoops, otherwise they deform.
IMG_4920.jpeg

To be honest, I didn't even bother using wood curls to fabricate the mast hoops. Instead I followed @Peter Voogt's lead and used a thicker white paper to cut and wind my mast hoops using diluted wood glue and sometimes a touch of CA. Admittedly, that worked surprisingly well.

Left a higher (2mm) hoop, right the final configuration I used, 1mm high, diameter pending the intended location (lower- or top masts).
The only drawback; you can't put too much tension on the paper hoops, otherwise they deform.
View attachment 474372
Yours look really good to me.
I'm halfway through using the wood hoops. I'm painting the hoops for the lower main and fore masts now. I need to get experience in every area of modeling and I'm getting some satisfaction from the exercise.
Best regards
Ted

Back