YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Oh dear ...... a schooner with a square rigged staysail .....
930 Shrouds.jpg
To be able to determine the length of the shrouds and the part that will be served, I first made a plastic mold to fix the mast in the center in the transverse direction.
Then a temporary front and rear stay installed to keep the mast in the correct position in the longitudinal direction.

On the starboard and port side I made a paper mold where I attached the top deadeyes:
931 Shrouds.jpg
I have sanded these top deadeyes in a teardrop shape, as seen in previous old pictures. Not the physical drop, because that is round because of its cohesion. This is the shape of the drop that is just hanging from its attachment point. The visible ones are not yet the final ones. I've now got the hang of sanding. When the stock is replenished I will make the final ones.

Placed the shrouds around the deadeyes and fastened with a knot:
932 Shrouds.jpg
The end of the folded lines is determined and marked as well as the part to be served. (The jig has risen a bit due to the tension of the lines.)
Forward with adjusting and serving the shrouds.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
This is fascinating to me. I am a "process" guy, being personally much more interested in the modeling than I am in the model (however nice) so I love your continuing documented essays.

My ordered 1, 2, 3 sheave blocks and deadeyes, in different sizes, have (finally) arrived:
View attachment 330325
They all look beautiful. Thanks Zoltan @zoly99sask @Dry-Dock Models & Parts for the delivery. It wasn't your fault that it took so long:
July 29: ordered
July 31: they're on their way
August 9 20:22: message that they are in the Netherlands at Customs Clearances
After that .......... nothing .......... nothing ................ nothing ....... ....
September 5 12:32: whether I want to pay the customs clearance fee
September 5: paid immediately
September 5 12:55: you paid
September 6: 04:15: package has not yet been received by PostNL, delivery presumably within 6 days
After that .......... nothing .......... nothing ................ nothing ....... ....
September 16: chat with PostNL: apparently busy at Customs, expected within 6 days;
September 23 11:30: pissed off chat with PostNL: if nothing has happened for 30 days, an investigation can be started. Well: August 8 is more than 30 days. No: new installment after payment on September 5, GGGGRRRRRR
September 23, 18:08 shipment has been received by PostNL
September 23, 6:09 PM: shipment is sorted
September 24, 12:15 PM: Shipment delivered.

Gosh, what a coincidence that after the pissed off phone call, the package suddenly started moving.;) Customs at Schiphol Airport is therefore also a mess.:mad:
Now I can finish the hull with the deadeyes and chainplates.:)
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter. Was curious why you ordered all of these? Much better quality I'm sure and I've though of doing something similar including ordering much better ropes. Could you by chance send me your order list to my email boshaken@yahoo.com as I'd like to order these as well. I'm only on the keel right now but wanted to have these accessories all lined up ahead of time. Beautiful build btw!

Hi Peter. Was curious why you ordered all of these? Much better quality I'm sure and I've though of doing something similar including ordering much better ropes. Could you by chance send me your order list to my email boshaken-at-yahoo-dot-com as I'd like to order these as well. I'm only on the keel right now but wanted to have these accessories all lined up ahead of time. Beautiful build btw!
Thanks for the post, Jo. I have send you a PM.
PS-1: It’s better to change/write you e-mail adres as I changed in the quote above! Because of scanning-programm’s.;):(
PS-2: Time to start a build-log of the building of the BN #048?
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Peter. Was curious why you ordered all of these? Much better quality I'm sure and I've though of doing something similar including ordering much better ropes. Could you by chance send me your order list to my email boshaken@yahoo.com as I'd like to order these as well. I'm only on the keel right now but wanted to have these accessories all lined up ahead of time. Beautiful build btw!
If Peter is willing to share that, we all might benefit from his research of block sizes and quantities. I've already been spending some time poring over the Lankford dwgs to compare the rigging in those with the YQ dwgs and the sketches in the back of Chapelle and The Saga. I must admit though, the published block inventories in those do overwhelm me because of my unfamiliarity with the various rope names.

HAR! Mebbe I shudda read more of POPEYE when I was a kid . . .

If Peter is willing to share that, we all might benefit from his research of block sizes and quantities. I've already been spending some time poring over the Lankford dwgs to compare the rigging in those with the YQ dwgs and the sketches in the back of Chapelle and The Saga. I must admit though, the published block inventories in those do overwhelm me because of my unfamiliarity with the various rope names.

HAR! Mebbe I shudda read more of POPEYE when I was a kid . . .
I have invited you to the PM, you are welcom, Alf.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
@Peter Voogt Dear Peter. My apologies for being absent so long on your log. I have addressed you in general, because if I had to comment on each posting separately, I would have spammed your log - such is your progress. Your finished hull of Bluenose is without doubt, one of the finest examples of model building I have ever seen. Each ship is obviously different - the Royal Caroline simply takes your breath away with all the carved decorations and colors, a 112-gun man-o-war may impress by the sheer enormity of the build - but Bluenose is different. You do not have carved decorations or a plethora of guns to impress - what you do have is a humble fishing schooner which happened to be lightning fast for the type and for her day. The only thing you have to work with is the very workmanlike character of the ship. To take that and turn that into art is the symbol of a master-builder - and yet that is precisely what you have done. I cannot imagine that there is a better model of Bluenose that has ever being built, not anywhere in the world, nor by whoever else. Yours is the definitive Bluenose. Period!

@Peter Voogt Dear Peter. My apologies for being absent so long on your log. I have addressed you in general, because if I had to comment on each posting separately, I would have spammed your log - such is your progress. Your finished hull of Bluenose is without doubt, one of the finest examples of model building I have ever seen. Each ship is obviously different - the Royal Caroline simply takes your breath away with all the carved decorations and colors, a 112-gun man-o-war may impress by the sheer enormity of the build - but Bluenose is different. You do not have carved decorations or a plethora of guns to impress - what you do have is a humble fishing schooner which happened to be lightning fast for the type and for her day. The only thing you have to work with is the very workmanlike character of the ship. To take that and turn that into art is the symbol of a master-builder - and yet that is precisely what you have done. I cannot imagine that there is a better model of Bluenose that has ever being built, not anywhere in the world, nor by whoever else. Yours is the definitive Bluenose. Period!
Uuuhhh ..... what can a say, Heinrich. You make me blush (again)...... :rolleyes:
But a response from you, but also from the others, I will certainly not experience as spam. I only appreciate that and critically watching and ventilating an opinion also keeps me sharp.
For the time being, this stimulates me to keep the standard high for the rigging as well.
Regards, Peter

What a nice compliment @Heinrich. Bravo!

Back