YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Oh dear ...... a schooner with a square rigged staysail .....
View attachment 334424
To be able to determine the length of the shrouds and the part that will be served, I first made a plastic mold to fix the mast in the center in the transverse direction.
Then a temporary front and rear stay installed to keep the mast in the correct position in the longitudinal direction.

On the starboard and port side I made a paper mold where I attached the top deadeyes:
View attachment 334425
I have sanded these top deadeyes in a teardrop shape, as seen in previous old pictures. Not the physical drop, because that is round because of its cohesion. This is the shape of the drop that is just hanging from its attachment point. The visible ones are not yet the final ones. I've now got the hang of sanding. When the stock is replenished I will make the final ones.

Placed the shrouds around the deadeyes and fastened with a knot:
View attachment 334426
The end of the folded lines is determined and marked as well as the part to be served. (The jig has risen a bit due to the tension of the lines.)
Forward with adjusting and serving the shrouds.
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. I certainly echo the sentiments of the fellow members- this is an outstanding BN. I have often wondered why the middle chain plate is shorter than the others. After your research you would know? Cheers Grant

Very nice work Peter. Watching your modelling techniques and skills has taught me to treat each step and phase of my own modelling efforts with far more thought and diligence. Great work Thumbsup
Thanks Mark. To answer questions from time to time, I also regularly check my own build log. And then I also see things of myself that I sometimes think..... mmmmmmm ...... ;) Especially with some logs that started later and benefit from our experiences.
Regards, Peter

Good morning Peter. I certainly echo the sentiments of the fellow members- this is an outstanding BN. I have often wondered why the middle chain plate is shorter than the others. After your research you would know? Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant. The shorter chain plate is for the side stay of the top mast and has to absorb less force. Therefore also a bit thinner line and smaller deadeye:
1665993169288.png
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Making Sails in a Crazy Way:
After serving the 10 parts on the end of the shrouds where the deadeyes come, I could apply them definitively around the top of the lower main mast.
I only will place the main mast after I have put some other things on it. Because now I have easy access on it.
The 1st thing that qualifies for this is the furled Main Topsail. There is a good example of this in The Saga:
933 Main Topsail.jpg
On the left the example of MS Lankford with all the details to be applied and on the right the sail furled behind the head of the lower mast.

There are already quite a few examples about making model sails. Soon Stephan, Maarten and I will get together to compare different types of fabric and see what is possible.
The BN didn't have thick canvas sails. There was also racing to be done. So lighter/thinner sails. That means on the model ......... very thin sails.
During my Covid I used 'quite a few' tissues. And then a small voice said: they are thin and strong ........
Just did a little test with it:
934 Main Topsail.jpg
Similar to what you see in the left image, I started by applying a thin line around the sides. That line is from Serafil 120/2 0,15mm / .006". I ran this line through a paper glue stick and glued it to the paper. Then folded the edge.
But ..... the tissues consist of 3 layers. When turning, you only glue 1 layer.
So the tissue layers were taken apart and a 2nd attempt with only 1 single layer. You can see that in the left image. Then applied the necessary blocks to the corners, see the right picture. The folded edges are not very neat with this test sail. But I think you won't see it when folded. And with the experience I have now, the next one will be quite tidier.

After a few hours, this was the result:
935 Main Topsail.jpg
1: a 3mm /.11” single block for lifting up the sail through the 3 mm block on top of the upper mast with the Main Topsail Halliard;
2: a split with a spilt line, for the Main Topsail Tack;
3: a split with a split line, the Main Topsail Sheet;
4: a split with a split line, the start of de Main Topsail Clew Line. This line bundles up the sail when it is not used. It goes through the 2,5 mm / .10” singles blocks 4a, 4b and 4c and the split eyes (see little arrows) and then to a belaying pin on deck;
5: pointed 10 holes with a needle for the 10 mast-hoop lines.
Drawn the sails parts with a pencil. But you probably won't see them again.

Next step: tie the sail to the mast hoops with the ten double lines. And then see if the sail is thin enough to fold behind the mast.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
After serving the 10 parts on the end of the shrouds where the deadeyes come, I could apply them definitively around the top of the lower main mast.
I only will place the main mast after I have put some other things on it. Because now I have easy access on it.
The 1st thing that qualifies for this is the furled Main Topsail. There is a good example of this in The Saga:
View attachment 335350
On the left the example of MS Lankford with all the details to be applied and on the right the sail furled behind the head of the lower mast.

There are already quite a few examples about making model sails. Soon Stephan, Maarten and I will get together to compare different types of fabric and see what is possible.
The BN didn't have thick canvas sails. There was also racing to be done. So lighter/thinner sails. That means on the model ......... very thin sails.
During my Covid I used 'quite a few' tissues. And then a small voice said: they are thin and strong ........
View attachment 335351
Similar to what you see in the left image, I started by applying a thin line around the sides. That line is from Serafil 120/2 0,15mm / .006". I ran this line through a paper glue stick and glued it to the paper. Then folded the edge.
So the tissue layers were taken apart and a 2nd attempt with only 1 single layer. You can see that in the left image. Then applied the necessary blocks to the corners, see the right picture. The folded edges are not very neat with this test sail. But I think you won't see it when folded. And with the experience I have now, the next one will be quite tidier.

View attachment 335352
1: a 3mm /.11” single block for lifting up the sail through the 3 mm block on top of the upper mast with the Main Topsail Halliard;
4: a split with a split line, the start of de Main Topsail Clew Line. This line bundles up the sail when it is not used. It goes through the 2,5 mm / .10” singles blocks 4a, 4b and 4c and the split eyes (see little arrows) and then to a belaying pin on deck;

Next step: tie the sail to the mast hoops with the ten double lines. And then see if the sail is thin enough to fold behind the mast.
Regards, Peter
Good evening Peter. I’m no sail expert and I love new ideas. I am concerned tho…..how sustainable is the material over time will it not decay- and will it furl realistically ? I am assuming you plan to furl all the sails as I cannot see this “tissue material” looking good on set sails. I guess I will have to wait and see what magic you will make. Cheers Grant

View attachment 335350

View attachment 335351

View attachment 335352

Regards, Peter
Hi Pietro, sorry you tried this fabric. The "poplin" is a light cotton fabric with a fresh and dry feel, shiny, compact even if soft

Good evening Peter. I’m no sail expert and I love new ideas. I am concerned tho…..how sustainable is the material over time will it not decay- and will it furl realistically ? I am assuming you plan to furl all the sails as I cannot see this “tissue material” looking good on set sails. I guess I will have to wait and see what magic you will make. Cheers Grant
My experience with the tissues: after use and fried, they are small clumps.:) Now I use 1 of the 3 layers, so an even smaller prop.
My idea is to furl 7 out of 8 sails.
What it will look like will be also a surprise to me as well. I consider it as a test. If it doesn't look good, it’s off very quickly.
What will it look like in a while? Sometimes I find an (unused) tissue in my pocket, even after a wash. It still doesn't look bad.;)
And in a few years? We say in the Netherlands: Who then lives, then takes care.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Pietro, sorry you tried this fabric. The "poplin" is a light cotton fabric with a fresh and dry feel, shiny, compact even if soft
Perhaps……. But most the woven fabrics are too coarse. For sure for 1:72. Next weekend we will compare a lot of examples. And there is a company in England with over 150 different very fine fabrics.
And shiny …… out of order.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
My experience with the tissues: after use and fried, they are small clumps.:) Now I use 1 of the 3 layers, so an even smaller prop.
My idea is to furl 7 out of 8 sails.
What it will look like will be also a surprise to me as well. I consider it as a test. If it doesn't look good, it’s off very quickly.
What will it look like in a while? Sometimes I find an (unused) tissue in my pocket, even after a wash. It still doesn't look bad.;)
And in a few years? We say in the Netherlands: Who then lives, then takes care.
Regards, Peter
Good afternoon Peter- let’s hold thumbs. If anyone can pull this off it would be you. Awaiting with eager anticipation :D. “Who then lives, then takes care”….sounds brilliant to me. Cheers Grant

So far few reactions ........ but I can imagine that. What will that be...... ;)

First of all, it's just interesting to understand and see how the rigging of that topsail works:936 Main Topsail.jpg
Here I tied the 10 mast hoops to the sail.

And then it started to fold the sail.. First lowered the 10 hoops together at the bottom of the top mast and fold the sail in zig-zag between them. Then pull the clew line slowly to get everything together:
937 Main Topsail.jpg
After final placement, the lines at the top are put under tension.

In detail: bunched the sail from top to bottom with a line around the top of the lower mast:
938 Main Topsail.jpg
The sail is on starboard behind the mast so that the halliard of the gaff can still run 4 blocks. The line that sticks out at 1/3 of the bottom is the sheet and will go to the end of the gaff of the main sail.

All in all, I don't think it's wrong. Especially when I see it from a normal viewing distance.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
So far few reactions ........ but I can imagine that. What will that be...... ;)

First of all, it's just interesting to understand and see how the rigging of that topsail works:View attachment 335520
Here I tied the 10 mast hoops to the sail.

And then it started to fold the sail.. First lowered the 10 hoops together at the bottom of the top mast. Then pull the clew line slowly to get everything together:
View attachment 335521
After final placement, the lines at the top are put under tension.

Then bunch the sail from top to bottom with a line around the top of the lower mast:
View attachment 335522
The sail is on starboard behind the mast so that the halliard of the gaff can still run 4 blocks. The line that sticks out at 1/3 of the bottom is the sheet and will go to the end of the gaff of the main sail.

All in all, I don't think it's wrong. Especially when I see it from a normal viewing distance.
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter. You pulled it off. The way the furl is done certainly lets us see all your detail which I am a huge fan off. I am assuming you will have all the sail’s furled ? Cheers Grant

Back