YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Let's see: analog camera, flip phone, paper appointment book, the most sophisticated model ship blocks on the planet. Nice to see you're on the cutting edge of life, Alf ROTF ROTF ROTF!
TRIPLE HAR!
Ya, my phone actually is a _telephone_ and it's on the desk where I can mostly ignore it when it _rings_ROTF (old curmudgeon)
I do love my Day-Runner paper planner, been using it since maybe 1985-ish.
Correction tho on the camera, it's a Nikon Zfc, a mirrorless digi made to look retro, released in August of last year. A year ago I just happened to be leaning on the glass counter in my local camera shop (we still have one of those) the day it came in and I bought it on the spot. The lens I have on it here is a Viltrox 33mm f1.4Z, a really nice prime. If any reader here worldwide is a camera/photo buff/collector/hobbyist, I recommend you take a look sometime at the Nikon Zfc. Photography is another one of my hobbies.
Ahhyass, we hobbyists are a screwy lotROTF
Oops edit: But I really do have and play with 4 film cams in 35mm and 120 film formats.

(Peter, sorry for the short diversion)

Last edited:
TRIPLE HAR!
Ya, my phone actually is a _telephone_ and it's on the desk where I can mostly ignore it when it _rings_ROTF (old curmudgeon)
I do love my Day-Runner paper planner, been using it since maybe 1985-ish.
Correction tho on the camera, it's a Nikon Zfc, a mirrorless digi made to look retro, released in August of last year. A year ago I just happened to be leaning on the glass counter in my local camera shop (we still have one of those) the day it came in and I bought it on the spot. The lens I have on it here is a Viltrox 33mm f1.4Z, a really nice prime. If any reader here worldwide is a camera/photo buff/collector/hobbyist, I recommend you take a look sometime at the Nikon Zfc. Photography is another one of my hobbies.
Ahhyass, we hobbyists are a screwy lotROTF
Oops edit: But I really do have and play with 4 film cams in 35mm and 120 film formats.

(Peter, sorry for the short diversion)
No problem, Alf. Talking about photography and camera’s is fun for me. I am also looking for a mirrorless camera. Then it would by one from the Canon-R series. I deliberately don't go to such a store yet, we have them to, because that is like shopping in a candy store. But I am still very happy with my D6. Everyone has a preference for a particular brand. Me for Canon because we had everything from that brand at our CSI office. And I have experienced the entire professional range from analog to digital.
Regards, Peter

With the application of the topsail it was convenient to be able to put the mast loose in the vice. And securing it to the mast hoops was easiest with a horizontal mast.
That's what I'm going to do with the main sail. For the time being, the mast is not yet installed.
It also means that I will make the main boom and the main gaff for the main sail, to fit all those three parts on the separate mast.

Started with the gaff. As inspiration:
View attachment 336422
Left: a sketch from The Saga by L.B. Jenson. The special hanging of the gaff can be seen there. In addition to the peak halliard, also along the mast the throat halliard. This consists of 2x2 blocks and the halliard is a 1 piece rope that is secured on 2 sides. At the claw a 1-disc and a 2-disc block. At the top 2 2-disc blocks. I'll show you in detail how this works later when I apply it.
Middle: a photo of SoS member Robin @NovaStorm during his visit to the BN-II in Lunenburg. The claw with the so-called clapper in the fork. This provides guidance along the mast. The metal bracket is also clearly visible where the 2 blocks should be attached.
Right: a photo of SoS member Roger @RogerD from his visit to the BN-II. The bracket and both blocks along the mast can be seen there. As well as how I want to put the mainsail furled on my model.
Both Robin and Roger: thanks again for your pictures, they are very useful for me!

Made the main gaff:
View attachment 336423
The spar was first turned to the correct diameter, in accordance with the measurements in Jenson and Langford. On the bracket a 5 mm 1-disc and 2-disc block, on the 3 'bridles' each a 5 mm 1-disc block.
In detail:
View attachment 336424
Left: both fingers of the claw fixed together with 3 brass rods through the spar, the partly hinged clapper and the bracket and both blocks.
Middle: 2 of the 3 'bridles' for the peak halliard. At the top a band with 2 ears with at the front a 3mm 1-disc block for the halliard of the topsail and at the bottom a 2.5mm 1-dics block for a flag line.
Right: I had first assumed that the throat halliard consisted of a 3-disc block on the mast and a 2-disc block on the gaff. But now after studying how this hoist actually works, I have replaced the 3-disc block on the mast with an 'balance' bracket with 2 5mm 2-disc blocks on it.

All in all, I spent a lot of time hanging over the drawings and descriptions before I could figure out exactly how everything worked. Not only for the gaff but also for the boom and how this operates.
Chapelle was also helpful with 12 pages of gaff-information. To much to show here. The bracket by the claw is called ‘Spectacle iron’. :cool:
Regards, Peter
Incredible level of correctness Peter. You're details and pictures are much appreciated and I'm sure are elevating your buil to the all-encompassing BN standard on SOS. I know they are really helping me conceptualize my build as a novice!

Thanks for the post, Jo. I have send you a PM.
PS-1: It’s better to change/write you e-mail adres as I changed in the quote above! Because of scanning-programm’s.;):(
PS-2: Time to start a build-log of the building of the BN #048?
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter - could you resend that PM when you have time. I wasn't able to find it for some reason. Thanks.

Started with the Main Boom.
YQ has opted for a simple version:
942 MainBoom.jpg
While the drawings with MS Lankfort are a lot more detailed:
943 MainBoom.jpg

First of all, from my brass plate of 0.15mm / .0006" saw another strip of 1.5 mm / .059".
With that bent the 5 different bands as I did with the gaff and bowsprit:
944 MainBoom.jpg
First drilled a 0.6mm / .023" hole at the beginning of the strip, bent corner, put first quarter round, corner bent, bent back, drilled hole etc etc until I was done.

While making the Bullseyes Fairleads I was not satisfied with what I had made:
945 MainBoom.jpg
I had made them from pieces of 0.8/0.5mm syringe tied around the boom with twine (pictured left). This morning I was browsing through the Bluenose photos in the NoVa Scotia Archive when I saw the eyes on a photo. Pretty sturdy (picture right). Yesterday my wife had found a box of beads that I could use for the Single Line Parrel with which the boom jaws are fixed around the mast. Made new ones. (picture in the middle).

In the end, after quite a few hours of building, this was the result:
946 MainBoom.jpg
The boom is 35cm / 13.77" long. It still needs a 2nd coat of colored linseed oil for a more even coverage.
There is a boom tackle under the boom. This is used when sailing upwind and the boom is extended far out. Then the rear tackles are released. The hook block (left) is then unhooked and secured in an eye on the railing.

And how the Main Boom en Gaff are in relation with the BN:
947 GaffBoom.jpg
Next step: the furled Main Sail between the Gaff and the Boom.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Brilliant Peter.

A question if I could...you say you sawed the brass strip. I have been cutting my brass strips using a utility knife (box cutter). How did you saw brass strips?
Thanks, Paul. I have on the Proxxon a very fine saw blade that can also cut (soft) metal. I believe even up to 2.5mm thick. Slowly pushing through and guide. After a small start, stop for a while and bend the beginning of the strip upwards and guide it along the blade.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Started with the Main Boom.
YQ has opted for a simple version:
View attachment 337351
While the drawings with MS Lankfort are a lot more detailed:
View attachment 337352

First of all, from my brass plate of 0.15mm / .0006" saw another strip of 1.5 mm / .059".
With that bent the 5 different bands as I did with the gaff and bowsprit:
View attachment 337353
First drilled a 0.6mm / .023" hole at the beginning of the strip, bent corner, put first quarter round, corner bent, bent back, drilled hole etc etc until I was done.

While making the Bullseyes Fairleads I was not satisfied with what I had made:
View attachment 337354
I had made them from pieces of 0.8/0.5mm syringe tied around the boom with twine (pictured left). This morning I was browsing through the Bluenose photos in the NoVa Scotia Archive when I saw the eyes on a photo. Pretty sturdy (picture right). Yesterday my wife had found a box of beads that I could use for the Single Line Parrel with which the boom jaws are fixed around the mast. Made new ones. (picture in the middle).

In the end, after quite a few hours of building, this was the result:
View attachment 337355
The boom is 35cm / 13.77" long. It still needs a 2nd coat of colored linseed oil for a more even coverage.
There is a boom tackle under the boom. This is used when sailing upwind and the boom is extended far out. Then the rear tackles are released. The hook block (left) is then unhooked and secured in an eye on the railing.

And how the Main Boom en Gaff are in relation with the BN:
View attachment 337357
Next step: the furled Main Sail between the Gaff and the Boom.
Regards, Peter
Good morning Peter. Detail, detail and more detail on your Bluenose- just love it. Cheers Grant

And for the detail-lovers, 2 extra pictures:
948 Band.jpg
The left band is the Quarter Lift Band with on both side a eye bolt, secured at the bottom with a M0.6 nut.
The right band is the Main Sheet Band with the elongated rings for the footropes between the 2 halves. Through the holes of the 2 halves the bracket which is also secured at the top with an M0.6 nut. On the bracket a 5mm / .19" 3-disk block for the Main Sheet and 2 3.5mm / .14” 2-disk blocks for the 2 Boom Crutch Tackles.

949 Footrope.jpg
The end of the boom which stick out of the rim with both foot ropes.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
And for the detail-lovers, 2 extra pictures:
View attachment 337502
The left band is the Quarter Lift Band with on both side a eye bolt, secured at the bottom with a M0.6 nut.
The right band is the Main Sheet Band with the elongated rings for the footropes between the 2 halves. Through the holes of the 2 halves the bracket which is also secured at the top with an M0.6 nut. On the bracket a 5mm / .19" 3-disk block for the Main Sheet and 2 3.5mm / .14” 2-disk blocks for the 2 Boom Crutch Tackles.

View attachment 337503
The end of the boom which stick out of the rim with both foot ropes.
Regards, Peter
Saw this in real life tonight and let me tell you, it's a lot smaller than you think it is.
The level of detail is astonishing and the details also do justice to the 1:72 scale of the model. Thumbsup
(And I haven't said anything about the sails, yet.)

Back