YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Saw this in real life tonight and let me tell you, it's a lot smaller than you think it is.
The level of detail is astonishing and the details also do justice to the 1:72 scale of the model. Thumbsup
(And I haven't said anything about the sails, yet.)
Thanks, Johan. I was nice to see each other and to discuss the state of the building process of both BN’s.
Regard, Peter

After falling over the edge of a flat earth and not engaging in model ship building or SoS for many months, having gone back to precision pistol single hand shooting and reloading for best precision of my Winchester 94 30-30 carbine, I enjoyed looking back at your progress in the build log with the care that you p;ut into your BN. You are dedicated to fine results which you will attain.
Rich (PT-2)

After falling over the edge of a flat earth and not engaging in model ship building or SoS for many months, having gone back to precision pistol single hand shooting and reloading for best precision of my Winchester 94 30-30 carbine, I enjoyed looking back at your progress in the build log with the care that you p;ut into your BN. You are dedicated to fine results which you will attain.
Rich (PT-2)
Hi Rich.
What a relief to hear from you again. And to see you are back on the forum.:)
Thank you for the compliments, I really appreciate that.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The Main Sail: With the Theme: Why easy when it can be done difficult. ROTF
First made a mold from paper with some cutting and pasting that fit:
950 Main.jpg
With the dimensions I came up with. That means: it's a Big sail! :oops:

However, the tissues are not so big that I can make the sail in 1 piece. Or I have to look for 'elephant tissues'.;)
That is why the sail is composed of 3 parts.
951 Main.jpg
In my enthusiasm to knot I forgot to take a picture of the prepared sail.
Here after attaching the first mast hoop.
I laid the seams in such a way that they do not come together as a thick spot when storing them on the boom later, but that the seams are distributed over the entire width. (Yes, it's all about the details!) ;)
In terms of seams, this is of course not desirable for a fully stretched sail. But with my 'furled sail' you (probably) no longer see that.
I applied the stitching of the tracks with pencil on both sides. I think they will be (partly) visible.

The sail tied to all 16 mast hoops:
952 Main.jpg
At the foot the loose spare hoop.

The next step was to attach the boom to the mast with the single line parrel with the beads:
953 Main.jpg
The bottom left / rear corner of the sail, with the brass corner reinforcement, made of thin copper foil, secured to the clew band. The bottom right / front corner is (temporarily) secured with the tack to the appropriate eye bolt.

Now I can get started with securing the bottom of the sail to the boom:
954 Main.jpg
MS Lankford shows 2 possibilities, see the drawing insert on the left. According to the old photos this happened with all loose straps / 'boom lacings' with knots diagonally at the bottom, see the photo insert on the right. Fixing it with a meandering line is customary when attaching the top of the sail to the gaff.
Now I can start with the knotting of the 54 lacings. And make sure I don't tie the boom tackle in them. ;)

So far everything according to plan.........
Rergsards, Peter

Last edited:
The Main Sail: With the Theme: Why easy when it can be done difficult. ROTF
First made a mold from paper with some cutting and pasting that fit:
View attachment 338128
With the dimensions I came up with. That means: it's a Big sail! :oops:

However, the tissues are not so big that I can make the sail in 1 piece. Or I have to look for 'elephant tissues'.;)
That is why the sail is composed of 3 parts.
View attachment 338129
In my enthusiasm to knot I forgot to take a picture of the prepared sail.
Here after attaching the first mast hoop.
I laid the seams in such a way that they do not come together as a thick spot when storing them on the boom later, but that the seams are distributed over the entire width. (Yes, it's all about the details!) ;)
In terms of seams, this is of course not desirable for a fully stretched sail. But with my 'furled sail' you (probably) no longer see that.
I applied the stitching of the tracks with pencil on both sides. I think they will be (partly) visible.

The sail tied to all 16 mast hoops:
View attachment 338130
At the foot the loose spare hoop.

The next step was to attach the boom to the mast with the single line parrel with the beads:
View attachment 338131
The bottom left / rear corner of the sail, with the brass corner reinforcement, made of thin copper foil, secured to the clew band. The bottom right / front corner is (temporarily) secured with the tack to the appropriate eye bolt.

Now I can get started with securing the bottom of the sail to the boom:
View attachment 338132
MS Lankfort shows 2 possibilities, see the drawing insert on the left. According to the old photos this happened with all loose straps / 'boom lacings' with knots diagonally at the bottom, see the photo insert on the right. Fixing it with a meandering line is customary when attaching the top of the sail to the gaff.
Now I can start with the knotting of the 54 lacings. And make sure I don't tie the boom tackle in them. ;)

So far everything according to plan.........
Rergsards, Peter
orry Pietro, for the sails that I know the seams of the felzi are 2, I see 1, is it from design? Thank you

After securing the sail on the boom, it was time for the gaff. There I secured the sail with a pendulum lacing, as this photo from the Nova Scotia Archive shows:
960 Main.jpg

And then it was exciting whether the size of the sail was right. This is just the ONLY pictures of my BN with a fully rigged Main Sail, because the next step is to store the sail furled on the boom:
955 Main.jpg
The gaff must be pulled slightly more obliquely to tighten the sail. But I won't do that anymore. It’s a temporary rigging of the sail.

The secured sail on the boom with the 54 loose straps:
957 Main.jpg

Fixed on the gaff:
956 Main.jpg

A little more detail at the mast corner:
958 Main.jpg
The ropes are not cut at the knot, because the loose ends are the handle parts to tied and untied the straps.

And the corner at the gaff jaws:
959 Main.jpg
The 'spectacle iron' on the gaff stands not quite right, it is only temporarily fixed.
Then I now go for the storage of the furled sail on the boom ....... So far everything according to plan.........
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back