YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Guys if I may chip in here. @Dean62 is 100% correct when he says that it will be substantially less than 1 billion - correct! However, there are a few factors at play at here.
The first is as Peter rightly says: It is all about the intention of YQ to give recognition to SOS members. @Robertd Robert's completed build was also featured on WeChat.
The second is about the enormous size of modeling in China., I have said this before but each of the manufacturers has their own dedicated forums (which, in turn, are all linked to one another) and own members' lists. Some of the bigger ones are running in excess of 100 000 members. Compare that to SOS's size. So it would be fair to assume that Peter's build will be seen by many, many ...
Thirdly; like @dockattner Paul said, Peter has done something in his build that no one has ever done with a Bluenose and that in itself is newsworthy.
And then fourthly like @Dean said again - advertising can't hurt ... ! :)

Guys if I may chip in here. @Dean62 is 100% correct when he says that it will be substantially less than 1 billion - correct! However, there are a few factors at play at here.
The first is as Peter rightly says: It is all about the intention of YQ to give recognition to SOS members. @Robertd Robert's completed build was also featured on WeChat.
The second is about the enormous size of modeling in China., I have said this before but each of the manufacturers has their own dedicated forums (which, in turn, are all linked to one another) and own members' lists. Some of the bigger ones are running in excess of 100 000 members. Compare that to SOS's size. So it would be fair to assume that Peter's build will be seen by many, many ...
Thirdly; like @dockattner Paul said, Peter has done something in his build that no one has ever done with a Bluenose and that in itself is newsworthy.
If that is the case, it seems all build logs on SOS would be getting visitor traffic due to exposure. ;)

Firstly, Peter I do not want to clutter to your log, but I believe my answer will only add value to your achievement.

We just need to look at the New Kits and Development Section to see how many Chinese companies are introducing their models on SOS. And contrary to popular belief - selling the kits to SOS members is very much of secondary importance to these manufacturers.

No siree - it's all about bragging rights on the Chinese market!

Firstly, Peter I do not want to clutter to your log, but I believe my answer will only add value to your achievement.

We just need to look at the New Kits and Development Section to see how many Chinese companies are introducing their models on SOS. And contrary to popular belief - selling the kits to SOS members is very much of secondary importance to these manufacturers.

I am on SOS to share my build, for those who may be interested. How many look, I don't care. If I help one person, then my time to post all these pictures, and type in text to support them, has been worth it. I am here to help others and share techniques, I'm not here to make money or gain notoriety of any kind.
Sorry to be blunt...but that's who I am, not trying to offend anyone! ;)

Last edited:
Always looking from both sides.....
If that is the case, it seems all build logs on SOS would be getting visitor traffic due to exposure. ;)
I believe that is not registered......

Thumbs-Up
Bragging rights IS marketing 101. This is still all about marketing, and yes...money!
But I get it, if they want to use our build logs for bragging rights or marketing, what do I care?
I am on SOS to share my build, for those who may be interested. How many look, I don't care. If I help one person, then my time to post all these pictures, and type in text to support them, has been worth it. I am here to help others and share techniques, I'm not here to make money or gain notoriety of any kind.
Sorry to be blunt...but that's who I am, not trying to offend anyone! ;)
Hi beloved guys.
I always like a discussion. But if a point is made...... please go on in a PM.
Regards, Peter

In addition to the theory and research work of today, I could also do something in practice.
The raised front floor fitted with its half floor. With the recesses for all uprights, which are carried down from the deck:
304 Floor.jpg
The floor, floor beams and inside of the frames that I will no longer be able to reach, with the layers of oil.
Regards, Peter

The next step in construction is a combination of activities. Both installing the deck beams and building the compartments below the deck.

The aforementioned Saga includes on pag. 66 a sketch of the possible layout of the original BN. Thanks to Rich's @PT-2 attentiveness!
The author L.B. Jenson of The Saga adds to that sketch:
As far as is known, no measured drawings of The Fishing Schooner 'Bluenose' were made. This drawing is based on The research conducted by John R. Stevens in1961 for The Maritime Museum of Canada, now part of The Nova Scotia Museum.

I combined this Saga drawing with the YQ drawing of the deck structure. Because based on that deck structure I can determine where the walls of the different compartments will be:
View attachment 252119

Dimensions:
To get the correct measurements between both drawings, I first drew 2 lines through the drawn center of both masts in the Saga drawing. On both lines I scaled and positioned the YQ drawing.
It soon becomes clear that the position of various parts on the deck differs. But the main parts will all come back.
Now I can also add a drawing of the deck of the BN-II. But that has no added value for me, because the (inside) layout of the BN-II is (very) different.

Layout:
Then I looked at the front and back. By drawing a 3rd line through the center of the steering wheel, the YQ drawing showed the position of the Cabin and the WheelHouse with steering wheel slightly forward.

Then I drew (blue) lines from the drawn walls on the Saga drawing.
With the help of this combination drawing I can now pretty much determine where the walls of the ForeCastle will be with Bunks and MessTable, both FishHolds and Cabin. On the YQ drawing I can now find the corresponding deck beams against which I connect the walls.

The floors are also drawn. I can use that as an indication when applying it to the model. Perhaps I will ad also the Ice storage and Fresh Water Tank.

Order of build:
I'm going to start with the deck beams from the bow. The YQ model has a raised intermediate floor that is not shown on the Saga drawing. The standing beams are fixed in that floor to secure the bowsprit and windlass. In the beams of YQ for the intermediate floor and the deck, several recesses have already been cut out. I'm just going to use that.
The position of the windlass is different. I can't escape that. But I can give myself some freedom for the motor housing and the gearbox for the drive.

Once I get to the end of that intermediate floor, I determine where the back wall of the ForeCastle will be and I can start building it.
In the Saga there are 2 beautiful drawings L.B. Jenson. I can use that as inspiration for my layout:
View attachment 252120

And because there are no official drawings of the BN anyway, AL-FI sits on my shoulder and will help me.
Yes, all of these will also be 'half-open'.

Regards, Peter
Well thought out approach with melding your resources. The interior compartmentation will be rewarding in your build. Rich (PT-2)

@Heinrich :
I have read the message again. It is Xiuli will come with new results of the views?
If so, then my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by my first reaction.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Correct Peter. That is what meant. As soon as she has more news or more reaction, she will let me know.

@Uwek Not just going to be posted. It has already been posted and today there has been a continuation of postings which I will address later. So the whole venture is also creating awareness for SOS in China.

@Uwek Not just going to be posted. It has already been posted and today there has been a continuation of postings which I will address later. So the whole venture is also creating awareness for SOS in China.
I recently discovered doing a Google search that our thread titles were posted on the internet with the comments that were made by SoS members in that post. We may need to be aware of what we say as I found out that it is not internal to SoS but was on the public domain for their reading as well as our own. Maybe this was not a regular occurrence but it caught me by surprise to read my own posted comments and reply. Rich (PT-2)

I recently discovered doing a Google search that our thread titles were posted on the internet with the comments that were made by SoS members in that post. We may need to be aware of what we say as I found out that it is not internal to SoS but was on the public domain for their reading as well as our own. Maybe this was not a regular occurrence but it caught me by surprise to read my own posted comments and reply. Rich (PT-2)
And Rich, did you agree with your comments and reply? ;)
Just kidding you!
By my search for info about The Lee and the BN I also found myself back on the list and picture gallery. So we al are world famous.
Regards, Peter

Hello, Rich! What you have discovered is true. SOS is not a private forum, everything we post here can be seen by the entire world! That's the idea!!! Our web host is most-likely has a Google search plugin. We are getting famous! YAY!!!

Back