YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Yesterday the 1st bus with 35 interested Chinese model builders came by. Provided them with coffee, tea and stroopwaffles. :)
999.999.965 to go. That will take a lot of time and refreshments, but I'm willing to do it.
They could immediately see what I have done to the BN in recent days. I would like to show you that here also.

Started with installing the remaining deck beam in the bow.
For the already placed deck beam 12, I made the beams 11 and 10 between the clamps:
307 DB11en10.jpg
At the front of beam 11, the 2 recesses have been brought to the correct depth so that the two uprights for the rear part of the windlass come into position vertically. Both uprights has to be adjusted, this is just for the fitting.

Between the beams, on the connection with the clamps I also made a first attempt at making the double knees. Some time ago I showed that with a drawing from The Saga. Here the knees a little more emphasis:
308 Knien.jpg

I first made 2 pairs out of darker wood, but I think they draw better in the light wood:
309 Knien.jpg
It is the first attempt to make them with the cutter on the cross table. It comes from slats of 5x1.5 mm. After milling, cut loose and file in the right shape.
Some more practice and I am satisfied.

And will you see them later? Well, that was also the question when making the details on the Duc. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do the deck planking. Anyway, I'll keep that in mind.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Yesterday the 1st bus with 35 interested Chinese model builders came by. Provided them with coffee, tea and stroopwaffles. :)
999.999.965 to go. That will take a lot of time and refreshments, but I'm willing to do it.
They could immediately see what I have done to the BN in recent days. I would like to show you that here also.

For the already placed deck beam 12, I made the beams 11 and 10 between the clamps:
View attachment 252738
At the front of beam 11, the 2 recesses have been brought to the correct depth so that the two uprights for the rear part of the windlass come into position vertically. Both uprights has to be adjusted, this is just for the fitting.

Between the beams, on the connection with the clamps I also made a first attempt at making the double knees. Some time ago I showed that with a drawing from The Saga. Here the knees a little more emphasis:
View attachment 252739

I first made 2 pairs out of darker wood, but I think they draw better in the light wood:
View attachment 252740
It is the first attempt to make them with the cutter on the cross table. It comes from slats of 5x1.5 mm. After milling, cut loose and file in the right shape.

And will you see them later? Well, that was also the question when making the details on the Duc. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do the deck planking. Anyway, I'll keep that in mind.
Regards, Peter
Wow, great job Peter! Adding the knees will be a lot of work, but worth it I think... on the exposed side. Wait, I almost forgot... you cut the ship in half! Never mind...knees on both sides for sure! ;)

Wow, great job Peter! Adding the knees will be a lot of work, but worth it I think... on the exposed side. Wait, I almost forgot... you cut the ship in half! Never mind...knees on both sides for sure! ;)
Thanks Dean. Yep, a lot of work. 2 done, +\- 2x53 to go. Each with there own shape. Sick
But I love to do it.
Regards, Peter

Thanxs Henk.
Waiting to see a up-date from your BN.
Regards, Peter
Now working on frame no. 50
I do about 1 frame a day, and the next day I have stiff fingers from filing and sanding
After that, all frames are provided with nails
My trumpeter sub takes more time than expected because I am making adjustments for it
In addition I have been given a number of accounts for a few companies, and a
professional camera to borrow to try out (Panasonic lumix with 50 pages manual)

So time too short at the moment
Regards

Henk

Agreed, but his submarine is amazing! Still watching out for that one too! ;)
My trumpeter sub takes more time than expected because I am making adjustments for it
In addition I have been given a number of accounts for a few companies, and a
professional camera to borrow to try out (Panasonic lumix with 50 pages manual)
So time too short at the moment
Regards
Henk
Tadatada tada tada Tadatada tada tada
We All Watching Henk His Submarine, Henk His Submarine, Henk His Submarine (Repeat twice)

Last edited:

View attachment 252738

View attachment 252739

View attachment 252740

Regards, Peter
Wow, Peter, You were paying much closer attention to the drawings in Saga than I was when you you used the small sketch details for the knees. With my POB I was not looking that much at the interior stuff and more exterior, masting, sails and rigging. Very well done by you!!! I did get confused with your opening about the bus coming by for Chinese and build examination as it led my mind from you in the Netherlands to China . . . easy to trip up an old farts mind!!! It sounded like a great party and sharing time. Best of patience as you continue. Rich (PT-2)

Wow, Peter, You were paying much closer attention to the drawings in Saga than I was when you you used the small sketch details for the knees. With my POB I was not looking that much at the interior stuff and more exterior, masting, sails and rigging. Very well done by you!!! I did get confused with your opening about the bus coming by for Chinese and build examination as it led my mind from you in the Netherlands to China . . . easy to trip up an old farts mind!!! It sounded like a great party and sharing time. Best of patience as you continue. Rich (PT-2)
Thanxs Rich.
Sometimes you look in a book, but you see nothing. You overlook it. For example, the layout drawing on p. 66, but thanks to your attentiveness I can now take advantage of that. So, it's back&forth.

About the bus in my (new) post of yesterday: (also for @Heinrich )
It is a small hint towards various tourist spots in the Netherlands where buses full of tourists come. With any interest in whatever they come up with.
But I also want to underline with it that I appreciate and respect the contact between Heinrich and Xiuli about the posting of some of my pictures about the BN-cut.
My town Woudrichem, a fortified city, is part of the Nieuwe Hollande Waterline (New Dutch Waterline). Recently on the list of UNESCO World Heritage. That will also attract new tourists. With the strangest predictions about the amount of tourists.
In a town nearby, Tilburg, a railway branch of the new Chinese Silk Route ends there. Trains arrive there that are on their way for 2 weeks from China, by land, to the Netherlands/Distributionland. You don't want to know how many national borders that is. There was a documentary about it on TV recently. Very impressive what both parties have achieved. With the strangest predictions about the amount of economic added value.
So, my cut will be no part of the UNESCO-list, neither from that new Silk-Route. But a part of common interest in building a BN in different parts of the world.
No matter how big or small that may be.
Please don't misunderstand this. I just wanted to get some clarity after all the commotion last week. Not blaming anyone! (Perhaps just myself at most.)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Thanxs Rich.
Sometimes you look in a book, but you see nothing. You overlook it. For example, the layout drawing on p. 66, but thanks to your attentiveness I can now take advantage of that. So, it's back&forth.

About the bus in my (new) post of yesterday: (also for @Heinrich )
It is a small hint towards various tourist spots in the Netherlands where buses full of tourists come. With any interest in whatever they come up with.
But I also want to underline with it that I appreciate and respect the contact between Heinrich and Xiuli about the posting of some of my pictures about the BN-cut.
My town Woudrichem, a fortified city, is part of the Nieuwe Hollande Waterline (New Dutch Waterline). Recently on the list of UNESCO World Heritage. That will also attract new tourists. With the strangest predictions about the amount of tourists.
In a town nearby, Tilburg, a railway branch of the new Chinese Silk Route ends there. Trains arrive there that are on their way for 2 weeks from China, by land, to the Netherlands/Distributionland. You don't want to know how many national borders that is. There was a documentary about it on TV recently. Very impressive what both parties have achieved. With the strangest predictions about the amount of economic added value.
So, my cut will be no part of the UNESCO-list, neither from that new Silk-Route. But a part of common interest in building a BN in different parts of the world.
No matter how big or small that may be.
Please don't misunderstand this. I just wanted to get some clarity after all the commotion last week. Not blaming anyone! (Perhaps just myself at most.)
Regards, Peter
I had no idea or awareness at all of this terminus. That would be one LONG ride but with everchanging scenery and opportunities along the way for personal exchanges. Rich

Not so much to report. But some of you won't be surprised if I say that sometimes I'm not easily satisfied with what I'm doing. And certainly not if I've been looking at the photo again. Those macro shots.......... Redface

So I was not satisfied with the double knees. Especially after I was working on the 3rd, 4th for between the other side of the 3 beams shown. The wood was too soft, so pieces broke off quickly. And I thought they were still too coarse/big.

I dived into the wood stock and did some experiments with different types of wood. Finally found something that is easier to edit and just a bit more expressive. At least, I think so.
So let's take another macro shot.
310 Knien.jpg
At the top the 1st attempt. At the bottom what it will be now. The differences are not large, but in terms of processing an improvement. I have yet to see how they turn out with oil. But I think they draw a little better with the sanded top and the milled bottom.
Phew.... even I get tired of myself sometimes. :)
Regards, Peter

Not so much to report. But some of you won't be surprised if I say that sometimes I'm not easily satisfied with what I'm doing. And certainly not if I've been looking at the photo again. Those macro shots.......... Redface

So I was not satisfied with the double knees. Especially after I was working on the 3rd, 4th for between the other side of the 3 beams shown. The wood was too soft, so pieces broke off quickly. And I thought they were still too coarse/big.

I dived into the wood stock and did some experiments with different types of wood. Finally found something that is easier to edit and just a bit more expressive. At least, I think so.
So let's take another macro shot.
View attachment 253116
At the top the 1st attempt. At the bottom what it will be now. The differences are not large, but in terms of processing an improvement. I have yet to see how they turn out with oil. But I think they draw a little better with the sanded top and the milled bottom.
Phew.... even I get tired of myself sometimes. :)
Regards, Peter

Looks like an improvement Peter! Soft woods do tend to chip easily, and dent. ;)

You know, that I love your work, but here I have some "problems" with your knees, so sorry for this comment:
- due to the fact, that the width of the beams are wider than in the original plan (not in scale), the resulted space between two deck beams is much smaller (original appr. 3 times the width of a beam, in model only 1 times the width of a beam) and because of this the knees are much shorter than in the original
- For me they (the knees) are looking a little bit unrealistic small - but this is my personal subjective taste

You know, that I love your work, but here I have some "problems" with your knees, so sorry for this comment:
- due to the fact, that the width of the beams are wider than in the original plan (not in scale), the resulted space between two deck beams is much smaller (original appr. 3 times the width of a beam, in model only 1 times the width of a beam) and because of this the knees are much shorter than in the original
- For me they (the knees) are looking a little bit unrealistic small - but this is my personal subjective taste
Hi Uwe, thanks for your post. No sorry for the comment. I just really appreciate that. All the adjustments are an adventure for me too.
Indeed, the deck beams are not in scale. I've even considered downsizing them. But that means a lot of extra work. Including adjusting a lot of between bars.
The double knees are purely for longitudinal fixing of the deck beams.
Let me show you a complete picture of the drawing from The Saga, shown on p. 39, with my pictures inserted in scale:
311 Knien.jpg
I even thought the knees were a bit too big. To keep the proportion between the rounded shoulder and the protruding toe in proportion. In the drawing they are even more elongated in shape. The Hanging Knees will become bigger.
I like to hear from you.
Regards, Peter

Back