YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

The 1st wall is placed:
View attachment 254311
With the 2 cut 'ears'.
A small plinth still has to go along the wall ;) to get the connection tight at the bottom.

And I can separate the 2 halves leaving everything in place:
View attachment 254312
I didn't think a straight cut wall would suit all shapes of the BN. Therefore let the two wall parts, each with their own pattern, nibble away to nothing. With a large piece of frame still visible.
The top side of the wall is therefore equal to the bottom side of the deck beam.

A 1st view with the 2 halves on the 50mm supports:
View attachment 254313
You can see the 2 'ears' hanging in the top part below the deck beam.

With the view from the front:
View attachment 254315
When all interior work is in place, all tops should show the shape of the main deck.

Still, it's nice that what came up in my mind has worked again.
Gr. Peter
Not just again but your mind is always working. That will keep it young with use and not neglect. :) Rich

Congratulations on the wall assembly Peter! :) The functionality of the assembly is commendable - so may I please make a suggestion:

I understand fully what you mean by not wanting the wall to have a straight-cut edge. However, to me, (and this is just my opinion) the edge that you have created now is too "natural / rough". Don't shoot me, but what about the frame in a darker wood colour like the Pear (leave the wall in the light-coloured wood) and then a more "stylized rough edge" like @Maarten has done here with his forecastle deck planking on the RC? This effect is to me more in line with the overall attention to detail that you have engineered into your build. And then ... to top it all ... what about treenailing the wall?

20200518_203339.jpg

Congratulations on the wall assembly Peter! :) The functionality of the assembly is commendable - so may I please make a suggestion:

I understand fully what you mean by not wanting the wall to have a straight-cut edge. However, to me, (and this is just my opinion) the edge that you have created now is too "natural / rough". Don't shoot me, but what about the frame in a darker wood colour like the Pear (leave the wall in the light-coloured wood) and then a more "stylized rough edge" like @Maarten has done here with his forecastle deck planking on the RC? This effect is to me more in line with the overall attention to detail that you have engineered into your build. And then ... to top it all ... what about treenailing the wall?

View attachment 254350
Heinrich, please make suggestions as mutch you want. And I also consider them. Especially when it comes to nibbling the wall. I had a 1st towards to a more stylish one. (See the first at the top edge.) And what you sometimes see in 3D animations. But then you want to see the total result too quickly and you continue (before it gets too dark). The ones like Maarten's are very nice. So....... fine tuning will come.
And about: “And then ... to top it all ... what about treenailing the wall?
I think they just nailed it. Sometimes “Less is more” ;) (Sorry for using that quote of you:D). But some very fine stiches ..........
Regards, Peter

View attachment 254350
As I understand schooner carpentry, treenails are a structural connection of the strakes/planks the frames. Carpentry work for bulkheads used metal nails as things were often in need of repairs for which treenails would not be amenable in a reasonable manner. Just a thought.. Rich (PT-2)

@PT-2 Correct Rich. I should have placed "treenailing" in inverted commas. I was more referring to the effect than actual treenailing. Nails are obviously fine.

@PT-2 Correct Rich. I should have placed "treenailing" in inverted commas. I was more referring to the effect than actual treenailing. Nails are obviously fine.
I have a nature to be thinking in the mindset and needs of the actual persons in the time an situation and have to readjust to think as a model builder for their own desired visual effects or fun of the build/challenges that they want to assume and overcome in their own approach to this hobby. I recognize that my approach may become burdensome to some SoS members/builders for which I apologize while those things offered for consideration in the historical perspective. Thank you for you often offered comments and suggestions leading to a possibly better end result. Rich

E507DC49-9EB4-49D0-AC4F-BB3285E4983E.jpeg

I personally do not like the cutaway done here by Maarten. He does excellent work of course, but how you show a cutaway is subjective. I prefer a more gradual sweeping curve, like on a French curve template. Not a really jagged edge, or what was done above, which to me looks like the tops of fence boards.
In conclusion…there is no right or wrong way to do a cutaway, therefore you have to use artistic license, and do what YOU think looks good! ;)
As far as wood colors are concerned, I would go with a theme, so you don’t end up with a rainbow ship. Pick your deck color, and your wall color and be consistent with both. That is what I would recommend. But again, it’s your ship and your choice. So you have to be happy with your decisions.

Last edited:
First thanxs for all the reply’s and input. It shows again: tastes differ.
As far as wood colors are concerned, I would go with a theme, so you don’t end up with a rainbow ship. Pick your deck color, and your wall color and be consistent with both. That is what I would recommend. But again, it’s your ship and your choice. So you have to be happy with your decisions.
Hi Dean.
The ‘under-deck-beam-19-wall’ is from the same wood as the ceiling of the inside of the hull: lime. It still has to get the 3 layers of oil. But I am now building the ‘galley and storage wall’ witch has to be glued against it. And it plays a lot with how the light falls on it.
I totally agree with you about making the choice and sticking to it. For the furniture I have (in my opinion) still found beautiful plywood in my stock. But I also have to see how that is 'in the oil'.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Started with the galley. The countertops and commission shelves:
326 Galley.jpg
This also strengthens the wall so that it remains at the correct angle.
At the tap a push button as a water pump.
The shelves are also equipped with 'nails'.
And the ‘nibble wall’ finished a little neater.

A side of the IceHold:
327 Galley.jpg

Also with the skirting boards and oiled.
328 Galley.jpg
Then the wall will come to life a little more.

And also this side with skirting boards and oil:
329 Galley.jpg
With some tape to determine the location of the stove and bunks.

Working on the stove now. In the ground paint.
330 Stove.jpg

Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Started with the galley. The countertops and commission shelves:
View attachment 254667
This also strengthens the wall so that it remains at the correct angle.
At the tap a push button as a water pump.
The shelves are also equipped with 'nails'.
And the ‘nibble wall’ finished a little neater.

A side of the IceHold:
View attachment 254668

Also with the skirting boards and oiled.
View attachment 254669
Then the wall will come to life a little more.

And also this side with skirting boards and oil:
View attachment 254670
With some tape to determine the location of the stove and bunks.

Working on the stove now. In the ground paint.
View attachment 254666

Regards, Peter
Very nice Peter! I like it very much! Going to look fantastic! And I do like your cutaway on the wall! ;)

I have a nature to be thinking in the mindset and needs of the actual persons in the time an situation and have to readjust to think as a model builder for their own desired visual effects or fun of the build/challenges that they want to assume and overcome in their own approach to this hobby. I recognize that my approach may become burdensome to some SoS members/builders for which I apologize while those things offered for consideration in the historical perspective. Thank you for you often offered comments and suggestions leading to a possibly better end result. Rich
Rich, some attention from me to your reply..
Apologies are really not necessary!!. Each of us has a different way of building and therefore a different view of it. Otherwise we had 3174 similar build-logs here on the SoS :confused: and it becomes boring ...... Above all, don't be tempted to change your opinion, just to be more to the liking of someone else.
Changing food teaches you to enhance your taste.
Regards, Peter

And the stove / oven:
View attachment 254679
The pans must of course not slide off when a ship is pitching and rolling.
View attachment 254680
Of course, the floor still needs to be cleaned. And extend 1 leg slightly. ;)

Regards, Peter
Peter,
I'm absolutely flabbergasted about how much detail and craftsmanship you put into this model.
It's getting to the point I don't dare share anything I did on the rebuild of my POB model of the Bluenose.
Chapeau!

Thanxs Johan.
But about the quote above: I hope it is metaphorical ;) and you will go on with posting! Others……….
Regards, Peter
It indeed is metaphorical, however, let's agree there's a huge difference in build quality between the two of us...
Having said that, I will continue posting; I have too much fun doing the rebuild!

Last edited:
Back