YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

I've been built on the keel of the Bluenose for a few days.

The beveled part #18.
That's hard to get a picture of. Still an attempt:
View attachment 205812

Slightly clearer after it is applied on the keel. Sanded and polished.
The parts 21 imitates the keel bars. They will get some scarf, because those keel bars are not as long as the whole keel.
View attachment 205813

The entire keel complete.
View attachment 205814

And a sharper picture of my solution for the on top at the bow beveled parts #20. 2 little bevels on the inside gives 2 little /\'s.
View attachment 205815
And a tip: Those vilt blocks with magnets works perfectly in a screw to protect your work.

Regards, Peter
Excellent work Peter! When going through my parts, I noticed those outer keel parts are thin and fragile!

The next step is to apply the 'shoe' at the bottom of most of the keel. As show on the drawings in the Saga-book.
It protects against damaging the lower keel bar. The planks are secured with trennels in the keel.

I couldn't find in the book "Bluenose II, Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners" by L.B. Jenson what the length of the keel bars was. The planks for the hull are between 25 and 30 feet. That's between 7.6 and 9.1 meters. My estimate for the shoe is that they were a bit shorter In case of damage, a large shelf did not have to be replaced.

To make the little trennels I have seen different techniques pass by on the forum.
I've been in touch to order a Byrnes Drawplate to try to make them myself.
It’s not delivered yet. So, started with toothpicks.

After first some test pieces with different diameter drills, eventually hatched on the drilling of 0.7mm holes.
Started in the recess for the rudder and then to the point forward.
Because for me this is a new technique, the first 2 pieces are edited in 2 ways.

035 Shoe1.jpg
A loose piece of 7.5 x 4.5 mm, containing 5 toothpicks. When dried cut off, sand and glue to the keel.

036 Shoe2.jpg
A piece of 2.5 x 4.5mm glued on the keel. After drying 2 holes drilled and glued in 2 toothpicks. After drying cut off and sanded.

037 Shoe3.jpg
Fitted on the keel, sanded and polished.
Mwa ……. Not bad for my first attempt.

After this 1st experience decided to mark the holes with a needle on the lat for the next piece of shoe, drill the holes and glue to the keel.
You can see it in the picture. To distribute the pressure and prevent damage on the shoe lat, put an extra bar on it.
Then the next step is to drill deeper so that the glued toothpicks also connected to the keel.

Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Peter. This is so good to see an alternative build. Yes, it is extra work - but that is what I do on the Haarlem as well, and every bit of extra work has been worth it. Though it may not even be seen by those who know otherwise, you still know you have done it!

Hi Peter. This is so good to see an alternative build. Yes, it is extra work - but that is what I do on the Haarlem as well, and every bit of extra work has been worth it. Though it may not even be seen by those who know otherwise, you still know you have done it!
Your correct Heinrich, we are the skippers of our own ships. And do what we like to do.
And we do what we want to do. Perhaps I paint the hull of the Bluenose blue ............. ;). No No No .....
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
And this shoe part out of the clamps.
038 Shoe4.jpg
With the pre-drilled holes and the ends of the planks.
On the left side you can see the cutout for the 2nd length piece of the shoe. That's where the shoe goes.

First the crossing edges cut off with the scalpel, then sanded so I was sure of a neat connection with the keel.
039 Shoe5.jpg
040 Shoe6.jpg

Time for the second big part, then drilling and tooth picking.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
This is similar to a fleet of LeCoureur and Alert kits. We will have many models, but each will have its own character! Nice work Peter!
That is a very nice touch, makes the keel look more “finished”.
Jan
Thanxs Jim and Jan,
This is what I had in mind from the beginning, when I saw the posts of Heinrich of the half open model. And a little bit "out-of-the-box" is also a kind of fun, too.
Regards, Peter

I certainly like the look of this, I am very tempted to try this but with a contrasting wood such as rosewood or an ebony colored wood to match the hull.
Nice work Peter
Hi Don,
In the Saga is written the shoe is oak. Also the keel bars. I think the trennels to.
I checked my stock to see what came close to the keel.
And the trennels are allowed to stand out a little bit.
It is a show-model :cool:. And I have no intention of making the Bluenose historically correct.
But the construction method has to be (a bit) right ;).

I can still see how it colors when I give the ‘blanc’ parts a protective layer. Whatever that becomes I need to look at and try out to best particles.

Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Great thinking Peter, @Pathfinder65 Jan and @DonRobinson Don.
It is interesting to me to see how different readers and looks at the Saga Bluenose (II) book and illustrations are being selected and used in the build(s). I would have liked to be able to see the full size boards that the drawings were executed upon; about 40 x 48 inches from what I read separately. The microscopic hand written text and notes make finding information an archeological search project in themselves but diamonds come in small pieces, often hidden inside the outer rough surround. I see some very careful and precise work coming forth from the shipyards !!! Rich

Great work Peter! You guys are killing me...lol.
I’m trying not to rush the rest of my build on the Cazador, but I’m starting to lose my patience on getting started on the Bluenose! I have only unpacked and sorted the pieces in preparation to start building. :(
I do think I can finish the Cazador in another two weeks. Then I will build the case for it on the side while working on the BN.

Back