YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Adjusted a few things:
View attachment 275899
-slightly slimmer faucet;
- side wall desk straightened;
-shelves visually reduced by 1/3 by placing the raised edges in front of the shelf;
-put a few books on the shelf;
-hatch in the rear wall with 2 handles.
Then oiled and placed in the hull.

The reason why I made the cabin as a separate module:
View attachment 275900
With the deck beams and high frames in the jig, you really can't get to it.

With the deckbeam frame:
View attachment 275901
Still dry-fit, because there is still something to be placed in the cabin.

With another indication of how the outer wall will look around it:
View attachment 275902
No wall on the starboard side, but how the open beam frame continues to provide a view of the interior. And later the mentioned inner wall to within the deck beams.

Here's how to look through the frames:
View attachment 275903
Later they will be sawed off and you will look over the edge of the hull, through the wall frame and the half open roof.

With some more pictures of the state of the deck beams:
View attachment 275904
With the shape of the hull:
View attachment 275905
With the inside view:
View attachment 275906

Still plenty to do in the cabin:
-table with benches;
-stove;
-staircase with side walls and door, where I have to take into account the rear wall and sliding hatch on the roof.
Regards, Peter
That is a well fitted cabin are that Walters should pass muster upon. . . I certainly do!
Rich

Another step further. Putting the wall on the floor:
View attachment 275730
The Captain can be satisfied. He wanted a panel door and a sink.

But he had even more notes to his singing:
View attachment 275731
The sink has a foot pump operation. Now that I see the photo, the faucet is being replaced with a thinner one.
A desk with chair and pockets for his cards.
Some shelves and a clock.
On his desk is a nautical chart of the waters off Nova Scotia. He brought 2 large nuts from the yard to use as a paperweight.

Some fine-tuning, because during installation you rest your finger or your hand on something and then it bends again.
Then partially put in the oil, glue in the hull and then continue oiling.
Regards, Peter
Excellent work Peter, love the clock!
- Mark

Adjusted a few things:
View attachment 275899
-slightly slimmer faucet;
- side wall desk straightened;
-shelves visually reduced by 1/3 by placing the raised edges in front of the shelf;
-put a few books on the shelf;
-hatch in the rear wall with 2 handles.
Then oiled and placed in the hull.

The reason why I made the cabin as a separate module:
View attachment 275900
With the deck beams and high frames in the jig, you really can't get to it.

With the deckbeam frame:
View attachment 275901
Still dry-fit, because there is still something to be placed in the cabin.

With another indication of how the outer wall will look around it:
View attachment 275902
No wall on the starboard side, but how the open beam frame continues to provide a view of the interior. And later the mentioned inner wall to within the deck beams.

Here's how to look through the frames:
View attachment 275903
Later they will be sawed off and you will look over the edge of the hull, through the wall frame and the half open roof.

With some more pictures of the state of the deck beams:
View attachment 275904
With the shape of the hull:
View attachment 275905
With the inside view:
View attachment 275906

Still plenty to do in the cabin:
-table with benches;
-stove;
-staircase with side walls and door, where I have to take into account the rear wall and sliding hatch on the roof.
Regards, Peter
Fascinating!

Not being able to do that much, but finished the table and benches:
521 Table.jpg
The table with raised edge so that the pans, plates and cups do not slide off.
The benches slide through 2 guides in which they can be fixed. So they don't bounce all over the cabins in heavy weather.
The 10ct is the recently issued colored version due to the anniversary of the BN.
522 Table.jpg
I'll ask the crew to move the benches a bit right under the table next time.;)
Regards, Peter

View attachment 276799
The benches slide through 2 guides in which they can be fixed. So they don't bounce all over the cabins in heavy weather.
The 10ct is the recently issued colored version due to the anniversary of the BN.
View attachment 276800
Regards, Peter
As always Peter, nice, very nice, but where o where are the plates and utensils?

View attachment 276799
View attachment 276800
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter , You are doing such a fantastic job on your crews quarters that make your YQ Bluenose look so very real.
Regards Lawrence

Walters was a demanding man for his crew and ship. But he was righteous and willing to do much for them.
In order of this line from me, I want to share some quotes out of the ‘Witch in the Wind’ from Marq De Villiers:
Pag.67: (After the asking if there where changes in the specs of Roué during the build:)
“Angus had no quarrel with any of this, but he still insisted on raising the freeboard forward, raising the fore deckline above the fo’c’sle (=forecastle) by 18 inches. Apart from this one change, the vessel was all Roué.”
Pag.68:
“Pretty well all the published accounts say Angus made the change to give the fo’c’sle hands more headroom; the fore part of the vessel was where they’d spend their time off watch, and taking care of his crew, making sure they are content, is obviously in a skipper’s interest.
Claude Darrach (=crew member) gave the orthodox account when he wrote,”Men who dress in oilskins go over the side in dories at 0600. At 2200 of sixties hours later they are still at work, gutting and splitting fish. They deserve and need a well ventilated and spacious accommodation in which to eat and sleep. [Angus] Walters decided to raise the forecastle 18 inches, and several frames were taken out and reset. If this did anything to slow her down no one will ever know.”

So throughout the build, Angus Walters was already concerned with the well-being of his crew.
Regards, Peter

In order of this line from me, I want to share some quotes out of the ‘Witch in the Wind’ from Marq De Villiers:
Pag.67: (After the asking if there where changes in the specs of Roué during the build:)
“Angus had no quarrel with any of this, but he still insisted on raising the freeboard forward, railing the fore deckline above the fo’c’sle (=forecastle) by 18 inches. Apart from this one change, the vessel was all Roué.”
Pag.68:
“Pretty well all the published accounts say Angus made the change to give the fo’c’sle hands more headroom; the fore part of the vessel was where they’d spend their time off watch, and taking care of his crew, making sure they are content, is obviously in a skipper’s interest.
Claude Darrach (=crew member) gave the orthodox account when he wrote,”Men who dress in oilskins go over the side in dories at 0600. At 2200 of sixties hours later they are still at work, gutting and splitting fish. They deserve and need a well ventilated and spacious accommodation in which to eat and sleep. [Angus] Walters decided to raise the forecastle 18 inches, and several frames were taken out and reset. If this did anything to slow her down no one will ever know.”

So throughout the build, Angus Walters was already concerned with the well-being of his crew.
Regards, Peter
Thanks for sharing this background information.
By raising the deckline by 18", Angus made the Bluenose stand out. To me, especially the lines of the forward hull belong to the most pleasing features of the Bluenose.

No, I don’t want the soup out of the plates on the ceiling of the cabin ........ when turning her upside down ......
I don't think I suggested to call for "dinner is served"... But again, I'll try and be patient and wait for her to be righted and provided with her necessities.

Back