YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Piero,

What about your BN? Is she doing back&forth also? Let us see some pics when she's doing that ...
Well ….. then the BN is in her elements, pitching through rough waves :)
15AC6BC2-9894-4D7C-AACA-616D10B425C3.jpeg

PS: 08-01-2022:
In the book, Down to the Sea, just received from Klaas, there is this photo! And the caption says it's the Gertrude L. Thebaud.
So, the internet is wrong again?
PS:17-01-2022:
In the book, Witch in the Wind, the same pictures is shown, with the caption: In this gale verging on a storm Bluenose’s upper sail have been furled and the vessel plots through the sea under the lowers only.
So, which writer is wrong?

Last edited:
It took some effort to place the first planks of the bulwark.
After I had given the boards an extra layer of paint on the inside, I saw when fitting them to the frames / stanchions and the waterways that everything fitted together quite nicely, without large seams. So decided to give everything another layer and not afterwards after placing it.

First glued the waterways. Then I could sand the outside edges of the waterways extra tight on the outside of the frames.
Correct placement of the waterways was also necessary for the installation of the scuppers. Those scuppers also had to line up properly, just above the waterways.
Anyway, after a lot of fitting, aligning, marking, finally placed the first 2 parts on the port side.

View of the inside:
554 Bulwalk.jpg
A dash of plank under some scuppers, but generally quite in line.

View of the outside:
555 Bulwalk.jpg
It was quite exciting, because in the beginning you are actually short of hands. This consists of 2 parts that interlock at the transition from low to high. Then the planks that come under it must also connect properly. That is why 2 extra dry-fit planks were applied when stretching the bulwark planks. An increase in the bulwark will be added later on the aft deck.

The scuppers on the foredeck are elongated and on the aft deck smaller and square. The book by Howard I. Chapelle describes that before 1880 / 1900 the scuppers of the aft deck were also elongated. But around that period, they switched to the smaller one on the aft deck. YQ has put that nicely on these planks.

This picture gives a nice view of the sheer / sway:
556 Bulwalk.jpg
The point of the bow is further neatly finished when both sides are applied and the hole for the bowsprit is made to measure.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
After I had given the boards an extra layer of paint on the inside, I saw when fitting the frames / stanchions and the waterways that everything fitted together quite nicely, without large seams. So decided to give everything another layer and not afterwards after placing it.

First glued the waterways. Then I could sand the outside edges of the waterways extra tight on the outside of the frames.
Correct placement of the waterways was also necessary for the installation of the scuppers. Those scuppers also had to line up properly.
Anyway, after a lot of fitting, aligning, marking, finally placed the first 2 parts on the port side.

View of the inside:
View attachment 281382

View of the outside:
View attachment 281383
It was quite exciting, because in the beginning you are actually short of hands. This consists of 2 parts that interlock at the transition from low to high. Then the planks that come under it must also connect properly. That is why 2 extra dry-fit planks were applied when stretching the bulwark planks. An increase in the bulwark will be added later on the aft deck.

The scuppers on the foredeck are elongated and on the aft deck smaller and square. The book by Howard I. Chapelle describes that before 1880 / 1900 the scuppers of the aft deck were also elongated. But around that period, I switched to the smaller one on the aft deck. YQ has put that nicely on these planks.

View attachment 281384
The point of the bow is further neatly finished when both sides are applied and the hole for the bowsprit is made to measure.
Regards, Peter
It almost goes without saying, but again meticulous work!
When looking at your first picture, it took me five minutes to get the perspective right... In the end I had to zoom in on the bow and slowly scrolled left and there it was.

It almost goes without saying, but again meticulous work!
When looking at your first picture, it took me five minutes to get the perspective right... In the end I had to zoom in on the bow and slowly scrolled left and there it was.
Thanxs Johan. Yes, with all the lines, the shadows on the white areas and the white background, it may take a while for the image to become clear. That's fun with photography. My photo-teacher told me: Photography is Painting with Light. :)

After I had given the boards an extra layer of paint on the inside, I saw when fitting the frames / stanchions and the waterways that everything fitted together quite nicely, without large seams. So decided to give everything another layer and not afterwards after placing it.

Correct placement of the waterways was also necessary for the installation of the scuppers. Those scuppers also had to line up properly, just above the waterways.

View of the inside:
View attachment 281382

View of the outside:
View attachment 281383

The scuppers on the foredeck are elongated and on the aft deck smaller and square. The book by Howard I. Chapelle describes that before 1880 / 1900 the scuppers of the aft deck were also elongated. But around that period, they switched to the smaller one on the aft deck. YQ has put that nicely on these planks.

View attachment 281384
Regards, Peter
Dear Peter
I agree with our friends, you are doing wonderful work, The stage you came up with the model looks impressive and beautiful. well done

Back