YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

The frame of the deck beams 21 to 25 assembled:
391 21-25.jpg
It is dry-fit on the bearing beams. I have to get it off because I now have to make the layout of the FishHold.

An overview of the deck beams 1 to 26:
392 21-25.jpg
You can still see through the bars at the underlying layout. Just looking with your eyes you see even more of it.
Or I have to take pictures with a stereo camera. But then I do need a sponsor for the purchase. Those are quite expensive.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I'm working on the design of the FishHold.
These 2 drawings by L.B. Jenson from The Saga on pg. 46 and 47 als input:
393 FishHold Saga.jpg
It looks like a big room there.
But I can hardly imagine that. That all caught fish are released there. And then it starts to slide in all directions with a pitching and swinging ship. And which you have to walk through when the fish has to be unloaded.

I was thinking more about compartments:
394 FishHold.jpg
They are then fitted on both sides and you can walk between them. The walls do not extend to the deck beams. Because you can't touch the fish that high anyway. At the front there are loose shelves that can be stacked. Similar to the IceHold, depending on how much is left in it.

I left a little more space where the two hatches will be and where the main mast is located:
395 FishHold.jpg
The reason is that large boxes are let down through the hatch opening that can pass through exactly. And so stand on the floor to drain the fish. Like in this photo:
396 FishHold.jpg
And you have to be able to walk around the main mast.

In the middle you see 3 now separate bars. These will be the vertical stairs that will be placed at the ends of the hatch openings.

With the top part applied it would look like this:
397 FishHold.jpg
With the deck beams around the rear hatch in the back:"
398 FishHold.jpg

That's what I had in mind. All input is welcome.
I have already been looking on the internet for pictures of the layout of the hold of a fishing boat. But so far with little inspiring results.
Regards, Peter

Your logic is reasonable, especially when thinking about fish sloshing around in the fishhold without baffles.
Too bad there's very limited historical evidence backing you up.
By the way, your mock-up looks convincing.

Go for it! The idea looks sound to me.
Your logic is reasonable, especially when thinking about fish sloshing around in the fishhold without baffles.
Too bad there's very limited historical evidence backing you up.
By the way, your mock-up looks convincing.
Thanxs Heinrich and Johan.
The first walls are under construction.
Also thanxs to the others for the visit and likes.
Regards, Peter

Started with the 1st compartments of the FishHold. First I did the necessary measurements and calculations based on the mould. Because a lot has to connect, stagger, fit under the deck beams etc etc.
I have already shown how to make the frames. An extra photo of the custom gluing. Small bars have small connections ....... so small dots of glue with a pin:
399 FishHold.jpg
Once the glue has set a bit, placed in the hull and see if everything is aligned. Then I can adjust it a bit now.

After the necessary hours of tinkering, the result placed in the hull:
400 FishHold.png
The walls follow the recess of the hatchway. On the Saga drawings, the stairs were in the center. But then no one can pass. That's why I moved the stairs to the side.

With the deck beams dry-fit:
401 FishHold.png
402 FishHold.png
The stairs are attached to the deck beam with an iron. And a bracket in the deck beam to be able to climb out with a handhold. A matter of getting used to: left hand in the bracket and then with the right hand on the deck.

When the top part is removed, the whole is in better view.
First 3 overview photos:
403 FishHold.png
404 FishHold.png
405 FishHold.png
The angle of inclination of some beams in the framework varies. This is because the frames of the hull move further and further out towards the center of the hull. And the walls of the FishHold are lower then the walls on both side of the IceHold.

The compartment is closed with 3.5 planks. The lower one follows the sheer at the bottom and is horizontal at the top. On starboard side only the plank for distance and to increase rigidity.
On the wall the bracket with the remaining planks. So not on the wall here, because it must remain free for the storage of the fish and for cleaning.
I will close the back of the compartments with planks to make a rectangular space. With these walls, therefore, no sawed-off ears that come into the upper part of the fuselage. The fish is not stored that high anyway.

And another camera point of view:
406 FishHold.png
The standing beams on the ends of the walls connect to the deck beams. The walls of the FishHold therefore do not extend to the deck beams. I made the plank guides, stair spokes, beam iron and brackets black. As a kind of treated iron for protection against the weather and fish conditions.

Adjust some small things a bit, make everything dust-free again and then it can oiled. And glue the relevant deck beams on the bearing beam.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Looks great Peter! It's getting crowded down there...lol ;)
Brilliant Peter. Amazing craftsmanship and vision.
Thanks, Dean and Paul.
It is a working vessel that must be arranged as economically as possible with limited space.
I come from Vlaardingen (near Rotterdam) and that city is known for its herring fleet. They mainly caught them with 'Loggers'. They are much smaller than today's trawlers. Those loggers were also very creatively and economically furnished.
Here's some old pictures:
EC806690-5A06-4649-AD52-7FDB762F36F7.jpeg
They used to look a bit like the schooners.
DFC8BEBA-D248-4753-9004-4F60A6C15436.jpeg
Slightly more modern:
57D85382-714F-47EB-97BB-D3BCC6351C7A.jpeg
Also compact in construction.
Maybe it's my roots that help with my construction, together with AL-FI. ;)
Regards, Peter

Thanks, Dean and Paul.
It is a working vessel that must be arranged as economically as possible with limited space.
I come from Vlaardingen (near Rotterdam) and that city is known for its herring fleet. They mainly caught them with 'Loggers'. They are much smaller than today's trawlers. Those loggers were also very creatively and economically furnished.
Here's some old pictures:
View attachment 265405
They used to look a bit like the schooners.
View attachment 265406
Slightly more modern:
View attachment 265407
Also compact in construction.
Maybe it's my roots that help with my construction, together with AL-FI. ;)
Regards, Peter
I think I recognized you sitting on the deck of the first picture...

The fish holds panned put beautifully Peter. I like them a lot without any reservation. But as always, I do have a question: There is bedding in the sleeping bunks, there are pots, pans and an oven in the kitchen, there is ice in the ice holds and now .... ?:D

The fish holds panned put beautifully Peter. I like them a lot without any reservation. But as always, I do have a question: There is bedding in the sleeping bunks, there are pots, pans and an oven in the kitchen, there is ice in the ice holds and now .... ?:D
O no, don't go there. Who knows what Peter's going to do with your remark...
Little wooden fish! Lots of them! :p
Yehyehyeh…… Heinrich started, Johan and Dean followed ….. and the rest …..
I was already thinking of scaled cod.
For our cats we this as snacks:
6BC01326-E9D2-456A-8284-83125CB06535.jpeg
But it smells awful. ……. to dead fish.:mad:
So, still looking for something else.
Regards, Peter

Back