YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Scusami se ti dico come ho fatto
Sono ancora in dubbio
Sono ancora in dubbio se usare stuzzicadenti bagnati con color noce chiaro tinto all'acqua, o chiodi in ferro brunito da 0,6mm... Deciderò dopo.
Prova come ho fatto io , taglia in due pezzi lo stuzzicadente , lo immergi nel mordente o no e dopo asciugato lo inchiodi dove hai forato

I am still doubtful whether to use wet toothpicks with light walnut water-stained color, or 0,6mm burnished iron nails ... I'l decide later.
I have also tried and considered different appearances. For me, In the hull they must be functional. They are allowed to protrude slightly in the deck planks. But in a hardwood deck, the holes are covered with plugs. So ..... choices .... choices

In the meantime my test board sanded white again and a new test.
578 Oil.jpg
Left: Some linseed oil with a few drops of black Ecoline. The treenails have an edge from the first test with black/blue Ecoline.
Middle: A new piece of wood with the blackened linseed oil, with 2 new treenails.
Right: Black Ecoline diluted with water, with some new treenails.

Regards, Peter

Last edited:
In the meantime my test board sanded white again and a new test.
View attachment 283957
Left: Some linseed oil with a few drops of black Ecoline. The treenails have an edge from the first test with black/blue Ecoline.
Middle: A new piece of wood with the blackened linseed oil, with 2 new treenails.

Regards, Peter
My two cents; I like the center option best, I think the subtlety of the trenails is what attracts me. The other two options are a bit too brutal for me.

Neither of those three examples is in my personal taste. Here is why: the left one is muddy dark the left one is inkeeeesh (blue Ink), technically the middle one left, while the tone is OK, the trunnels are too subtle. Again this is purely for my taste, and you could well disagree with it.

If you desire to make a contemporary-like tone (old model), you can use a few drops of Bitumenem diluted in turpentine. Apply for a few min and wipe out the rest. Then use a few coats of linseed oil. You can try Tung oil as well, it is a bit darker, thought.

I agree 100% with @Jimsky, The example on the left looks "dirty"; the one on the far right has no depth to the effect and while the middle one is the best color-wise, you really do not see any treenailing effect. Tung Oil will work great - especially on Pear.

Another option might be to look at Clou primer - see Maarten's Alert build.

Sono d'accordo al 100% con @Jimsky, L'esempio a sinistra sembra "sporco"; quello all'estrema destra non ha profondità per l'effetto e mentre quello centrale è il migliore dal punto di vista cromatico, non si vede davvero alcun effetto treenailing. Tung Oil funzionerà benissimo, specialmente su Pear.

Un'altra opzione potrebbe essere quella di esaminare il primer di Clou: vedere la build Alert di Maarten.
Buongiorno a tutti, condivido per il centrale

Thanxs you all for the input. Because there is a connection between the reactions, I combine my reply:
My two cents; I like the center option best, I think the subtlety of the trenails is what attracts me. The other two options are a bit too brutal for me.
My option went also to the middle. But with the 2 outer ones, which didn't seem like anything to me either, I steer towards the middle one. ;)
Try danish oil
I have seen that several times on other models. Also a option, but .........
If you desire to make a contemporary-like tone (old model), you can use a few drops of Bitumenem diluted in turpentine. Apply for a few min and wipe out the rest. Then use a few coats of linseed oil. You can try Tung oil as well, it is a bit darker, thought.
The model will certainly not look like an 'old model'. It will soon be placed on a kind of scaffolding as on a construction site. As a yard model where the constructor has shown his skills.
I agree 100% with @Jimsky, The example on the left looks "dirty"; the one on the far right has no depth to the effect and while the middle one is the best color-wise, you really do not see any treenailing effect. Tung Oil will work great - especially on Pear.
Another option might be to look at Clou primer - see Maarten's Alert build.
In de middle part I had only 2 treenails as a test. I have seen Maarten’s Clou, but I have already used linseed oil. I am not in favor of using 2 types side by side.
Buongiorno a tutti, condivido per il centrale
A extra punch for that option.

Buying a few extra cans of different types of oil, just for this strip of ship's skin is a bit too far for me.
I'm gonne make a new piece with some more planks and treenails. Where I use 2 or 3 layers of linseed oil and polish it in between. Then I probably get more depth and the treenails will probably show a little better. But they shouldn't be pronounced too.
The frames and many other parts are already in the linseed oil and the shade on them becomes more and more beautiful over time.
So thanks again for the input and that I need to invest more in the direction I took with the middle piece. Whereby the wood structure has to come to life. I will come back with the test soon.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back