YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Just an addition for the 'purists'. I got a little too excited with the baggywrinkle. Some of the old photos of the original Bluenose only show the baggywrinkle at the peak halliard. Where the topsail is also fed through.
Removed the 5 small pieces on the model. Will be reflected in the photos of a next post.
I don't think it falls under the re-do's........;)
Regards, Peter.

Just an addition for the 'purists'. I got a little too excited with the baggywrinkle. Some of the old photos of the original Bluenose only show the baggywrinkle at the peak halliard. Where the topsail is also fed through.
Removed the 5 small pieces on the model. Will be reflected in the photos of a next post.
I don't think it falls under the re-do's........;)
Regards, Peter.
Of course it's a re-do; you're modifying your original configuration, so it counts.
Your post triggerd my curiosity, so I looked at some old pictures as well. What I found was that there are fotographs about, showing no baggywrinkles at all or just a few. Whether that was a"race-" or "fishing-" configuration, could not be established.
The BN II, on the other hand, uses them in abundance.
While I appreciate their function, I find them rather disruptive; disturbing the otherwise clean lines.

Of course it's a re-do; you're modifying your original configuration, so it counts.
Your post triggerd my curiosity, so I looked at some old pictures as well. What I found was that there are fotographs about, showing no baggywrinkles at all or just a few. Whether that was a"race-" or "fishing-" configuration, could not be established.
The BN II, on the other hand, uses them in abundance.
While I appreciate their function, I find them rather disruptive; disturbing the otherwise clean lines.
Hi Johan. If Capt. Angus removed ratlines to have less resistance, he certainly won't have left the baggywrinkle when he was racing.
A lot of pictures where taken during the races. That was publicity. Only a few during fishing.
My BN is for fishing, with the engine, anchor chain etc etc.
Regards, Peter

Hi Johan. If Capt. Angus removed ratlines to have less resistance, he certainly won't have left the baggywrinkle when he was racing.
A lot of pictures where taken during the races. That was publicity. Only a few during fishing.
My BN is for fishing, with the engine, anchor chain etc etc.
Regards, Peter
Agree with your reasoning. The number of baggywrinkles now becomes a matter of personal taste; AL-FI time. ;)

Agree with your reasoning. The number of baggywrinkles now becomes a matter of personal taste; AL-FI time. ;)
Then MS/Lankford drawing is realistic. They shows the large piece at the top of the topping lift and a small piece at the bottom of the Quarter lifts, on both sides where the sail is furled. Soon be seen in a next post …… ;)

Last edited:
One could start a BCC… ROTF Or BCS.
BCC=Big Cut Club, or , a little more sofisticated:
BCS=Beautiful Cut Society
Clubs and societies:
Brings to mind an _old_ guy I knew for a short while back around 2000. For context, this guy was a Brit army veteran, serving already at the beginnings of WWII and he was one of the guys who waded out to an old fishing boat from the beach at Dunkirk. He loved to talk and as we old guys do, he tended to repeat certain stuff. One of his favorites went something like, "When two Greeks meet on the street they start up a restaurant. When two Scots meet they form a Society."

Clubs and societies:
Brings to mind an _old_ guy I knew for a short while back around 2000. For context, this guy was a Brit army veteran, serving already at the beginnings of WWII and he was one of the guys who waded out to an old fishing boat from the beach at Dunkirk. He loved to talk and as we old guys do, he tended to repeat certain stuff. One of his favorites went something like, "When two Greeks meet on the street they start up a restaurant. When two Scots meet they form a Society."
And we’re not even from Scotland…

Great work as usual Peter! I had to catch up on your current progress, and I think your ship looks very accurate scale and detail wise. Just a beautiful execution all around! It’s a mini me of the real BN! :p

Great work as usual Peter! I had to catch up on your current progress, and I think your ship looks very accurate scale and detail wise. Just a beautiful execution all around! It’s a mini me of the real BN! :p
Thanks, Dean, for the visit, likes, post and compliments!
The rigging gives her another dimension. Also for me with the work between the lines.
Regards, Peter

Back