YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Your ropes look like polyester Peter? In my experience poly ropes don't like water-based glues (PVA) - I had to use CA.
It’s poly rope. Indeed, it does not absorb the water diluted glue, but the glue hold it just together in shape. I must handle them with care otherwise they 'fall apart'. Have already had to make several new ones.:(
By the long and wider ones around the bitts I first glued them horizontally around the head with some CA and then bent them down and also secured it with a tip of CA.

Last edited:
I think I've got the rope-hank process right now:
1164 Rope.jpg
1:
As shown before, in the mold with the bottom stroke I also make a loop upwards. That will be the rear. Then a few strokes on top. I coat it with diluted wood glue. This does not absorb into the polyester thread, but keeps them together during further treatment. The strokes are now still tightly arranged on top of each other, but the shape is still changing.
When it comes out of the mold, I pull the top loop from behind through the loops to the front.
2:
After bringing it forward I whip the loop up and bring it back again.
3:
On top I secure the loop with a small tip of CA so that it stays in place.
It takes some experimenting how long the loop should be. That depends on the thickness of the thread and how many turns you make. In this example the wire is 0.35mm/.013" with 5 turns. The pins in the jig are 'externally' 10mm/.39" apart. The loop 5mm/.195" above that.

I provide the loop with a little bit of CA and hook it around the relevant belaying pin:
1166 Rope.jpg
I tighten the loops and pull them down. By holding on to all the previous actions, the glue around the strands is already starting to loosen a bit.

Then a little bit of CA between the nail table and the rope:
1165 Rope.jpg
And I pull the bottom straight down. Due to the residual glue, the lines bend a bit around the nail table and hang straight down. Make sure that no lines get stuck.
If necessary, I squeeze the loops a bit with the tweezers so that it becomes a naturally loose hanging hank. (I still remove remnants of glue, together with the dust of the past few months.;))
Phoe ....... what a lot of work for 1 so small bundle of rope ..........
Now it's production time for the other rope hanks.
Regards, peter

View attachment 365891
1:
As shown before, in the mold with the bottom stroke I also make a loop upwards. That will be the rear. Then a few strokes on top. I coat it with diluted wood glue. This does not absorb into the polyester thread, but keeps them together during further treatment. The strokes are now still tightly arranged on top of each other, but the shape is still changing.
When it comes out of the mold, I pull the top loop from behind through the loops to the front.
2:
3:
It takes some experimenting how long the loop should be. That depends on the thickness of the thread and how many turns you make. In this example the wire is 0.35mm/.013" with 5 turns. The pins in the jig are 'externally' 10mm/.39" apart. The loop 5mm/.195" above that.

I provide the loop with a little bit of CA and hook it around the relevant belaying pin:
View attachment 365893
I tighten the loops and pull them down. By holding on to all the previous actions, the glue around the strands is already starting to loosen a bit.

View attachment 365892
And I pull the bottom straight down. Due to the residual glue, the lines bend a bit around the nail table and hang straight down. Make sure that no lines get stuck.
If necessary, I squeeze the loops a bit with the tweezers so that it becomes a naturally loose hanging hank. (I still remove remnants of glue, together with the dust of the past few months.;))
Regards, peter
Your rope hanks have a very good resemblance to the hanks on post 3178. They certainly are tough little buggers to make.

Your rope hanks have a very good resemblance to the hanks on post 3178.
Thanks, Daniel. You only have to do 3 thing: practice, practice and practice……… :)
They certainly are tough little buggers to make.
That’s fore sure…… I don’t show the misfits, contradictory lines etc etc ;)
Regards, Peter

View attachment 365891
1:
2:
3:

View attachment 365893

View attachment 365892
Regards, peter
These hanks are stuff for nightmares!
I had to force those memories to the back of my mind and now...
They do look great though and, with a little luck, these nightmares won't bother you for too long. Thumbsup

These hanks are stuff for nightmares!
I had to force those memories to the back of my mind and now...
They do look great though and, with a little luck, these nightmares won't bother you for too long. Thumbsup
Good morning Johan and Peter. Peter your hanks are excellent. Thanks for the tutorial as well. Yep Johan I’m with you, nightmares ROTF. I did one your two similar to Peters and clearly my skill level is still playing catch up with PeterROTF. They were sad. Consequently I Went for the untidy look on my Victory. Thanks Peter I now know what to do next time when I go for a more neater approach. Cheers Grant

Thanks, Johan. No nightmares, just take your time, practice and do it …… ;)
Regards, Peter.
Lucky you!
I did those hanks on my other Bluenose; it took me awhile before I got them somewhat right...
Wondering whether poly rope will behave differently.

Good morning Johan and Peter. Peter your hanks are excellent. Thanks for the tutorial as well. Yep Johan I’m with you, nightmares ROTF. I did one your two similar to Peters and clearly my skill level is still playing catch up with PeterROTF. They were sad. Consequently I Went for the untidy look on my Victory. Thanks Peter I now know what to do next time when I go for a more neater approach. Cheers Grant
Thanks, Grant. About the 'neater approach', when sailing on the limit all the lines must be ready to use. In some of the books was written that captain Angus was drilling his crew time after time. It must be a 'oiled machine' ready for every situation. What else can I do then to do it a bit in his spirit.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Lucky you!
I did those hanks on my other Bluenose; it took me awhile before I got them somewhat right...
Wondering whether poly rope will behave differently.
You have to 'impose' the poly ropes a little bit to your liking. Sometimes it is a bit stubborn and wants to go the other way. Like our dog.;) But you are the boss.:)
Regards, Peter

Back