ROYAL CAROLINE 1:30 by Zhl my version, by Peglegreg

Hi Greg,

That will be an interesting conversion, it means you have to open the hull as from the whales upward. It will be possible to do this, I am also cutting out the ribs to prepare the inside of the cabins. I think I would first build the conventional hull and in the end cut out the sections you want as the cabin lower decks are fitted and these can bare the stress in the hull structure
Have a nice birthday and enjoy the party.

Regs Maarten.

Maarten post_id=24976 time=1512936343 user_id=4818 said:
Hi Greg,

That will be an interesting conversion, it means you have to open the hull as from the whales upward. It will be possible to do this, I am also cutting out the ribs to prepare the inside of the cabins. I think I would first build the conventional hull and in the end cut out the sections you want as the cabin lower decks are fitted and these can bare the stress in the hull structure.
Regs Maarten.

Well said Maarten, he might have to add some double planking to reinforce some areas, and I also wish you all the best for your Birthday

best regards John.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maarten post said:
Hi Greg,

That will be an interesting conversion, it means you have to open the hull as from the whales upward. It will be possible to do this, I am also cutting out the ribs to prepare the inside of the cabins. I think I would first build the conventional hull and in the end cut out the sections you want as the cabin lower decks are fitted and these can bare the stress in the hull structure.

Regs Maarten.

G'day Maarten
You took the words out of my mouth. That is exactly what I'm planning to do. I will the first planking all over the hull. I will be using John's method here from his post, i.e. electrical tape over the bulkheads on the areas where I be replacing with perspex. I'll use the hull as a mold and melt the perspex over the hull. Hopefully I might get the edges of the planks showing as ridges on the perspex. I'll then put the veneer over the planks hull and over lapping the perspex as 'fingers' if you can picture it in you mind. Under the perspex will go the hardwood forms cut down to show the interior.
The bulkheads where the opening are will have to be altered so I can attached the hardwood forms to comply with the shape of the original bulkheads. It's going to a very exact and difficult stage, but I'm stubborn and it wouldn't beat me
I'm hoping you can all understand what I'm planning to do.
Again, if anyone can see a problem or 2 or 3 etc, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
Havagooday to all and thanks for watching.
Greg

Hi Greg

Happy Birthday still, sorry for being late but being on a business trip
Now you can finally dig through the boxes and admire the new model. That should be a great weekend.
Looking forward to the start of your build.

regards Maarten

Maarten post said:
Hi Greg,

Happy Birthday still, sorry for being late but being on a business trip.
Now you can finally dig through the boxes and admire the new model. That should be a great weekend
Looking forward to the start of your build.

regards Maarten

G'day Maarten
Thank you for your birthday greetings.
Unfortunately, after the party, the house is in an utter disarray, and my lovely wife needs help to make it ship shape again.
Then I'll be working on the computer to see if it is possible to do what I'm planning. Then, if it's possible, I would havta draw the missing forms etc.
THEN THE FUN WILL BEGINS
Happymodeling to all
Greg

Last edited:
neptune post said:
Hi Greg, yes happy belated Birthday, hope you had a great one, and as Maarten says you can now officially enjoy your Royal Caroline,

best regards John.

G'day John
Thank you for your birthday greetings.
You are correct, I'M NOW A MEMBER OF RC BUILDER'S CLUB. Can't wait to do the first glueing.
I'm thinking of doing the ship's boat first, to get my hands into the kit, before I worked out completely in my mind, about my plans for the RC.
Havagooday
Greg

Last edited:
Brian077 post said:
Has the kit arrived yet Greg ?

G'day Brian
The kit arrived here on the 6th December or there about. I havta wait till after my party to use it. I hope to start working on it, this week.
I'm thinking of doing the ship's boat first to ease the itching in my fingers. LOL
Havagooday
Greg

Last edited:
Hi Greg
Congratulations to your kit (and Happy Birthday!!) I hope you won't be disappointed with the Boxwood version.
Looking forward to see your building log! It would be great to see that kit in person, probably we can arrange something for that!
Do you have the Bellabarba-book? It really is a great help for details!
All the best for the build and Merry Christmas!
Janos

G'day Janos
Thanks for your birthday greetings and your information regarding the kit.
001.jpg
I'll be starting out, I think on the ship's boat first, while I'm working on the plans for the RC-my version.
You are always welcome here mate. I'm only near Wyong and it's only a 'hop, skip and a jump' from you at Bankstown area. If you are heading up this way, ring me please and we can catch up.
All the best and have a very merry Christmas and a wonderful 2018.
Happymodeling
Greg

Last edited:
hi Greg
You must be excited to start the build and you can spend days admiring the plans and fittings before commencing work

Good luck with it my friend.

G'day Brian
That partly correct, I'll be spending weeks not day. LOL
I looked at the video of building the ship's boat last night and it's so much work to be done on that boat, it's amazing. Every thing is included. The ZHL and Chinese kits are one of their kind.
Happymodeling, I know I'll be.
It was too hot to anything today, and tomorrow is going to be hotter!
Greg

Last edited:
G'day all
Believe it or not! I've been very busy in the drawing stage of the construction of the kit. The last week or so, I've been concentrating on the strength of the keel to hold up the yacht on the two keel's stand. Even though this is an increadale kit, I'm making sure that there will be enough strength to hold the ship upright. The ship's height of around 1.4 meters or so when it has full sets of masks, will make the yacht TOP HEAVY. I'm afraid it might get a SLIGHT bump, and the result could be a disaster!
I will adding 30mm of hardwood (merbau) using 15mm on both sides of the false keel between the bulkheads and a 15 x 68mm merbau under the first (strenghting) decking. I'll will also add 30mm to the thickness to all the bulkheads under the first decking. Again 15mm both side of the bulkheads.
All the merbau timbers will be joined together either be blots and nuts or being screwed to form a solid block of hardwood 'surrounds' the plywood keel and bulkheads.
I will be using 12mm hight tensile bolts through the keel as the main support for the stand. As you can imagine the 5mm ply keel will be cut away by the drill hole for these bolts. Where the bolts are, I will add an additional 15mm (both sides) merbau timber between the bulkheads.

This way, there will be a 28 to 29mm x 70mm blocks (both sides of the keel) of merbau thickness next to the high tensile bolts. Not to mention the the merbau plank under the first decking.
I might be doing an overkill in the strengthening department, but my father always told me , 'if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right THE FIRST TIME. It stand to reason, I'll would not have the privilege to redo it again, so I'll have to do it correct the first time.
I don't think I will be transferring the weakness to a different area because the all the bulkheads will be integrated with the keel and it's plywood's 'strengthener'. Even the mask will be set in the merbau timber under the first deck.
On top of the first deck I will be placing slotted merbau timber which will be used to hold the 5 forms between each of the kit's bulkheads. I will have to draw (only from bulkhead 7 to bulkhead 12).
This is where I'm going to do some cheating. I'm going to make the decking of the main cabin and the king's stern cabin FLAT as well as the decking above the king's cabin . This is because I'll be putting guides under the floor and decking to hold the forms. This will be a LOT EASIER TO DO FLAT, RATHER THAN A CURVED SURFACE. The forms between the bulkheads will be 10mm wide, with a space of approx 2.9mm between each form and the bulkheads. The bulkheads is made from 5mm plywood, so I'll be adding 2.5mm veneer to each side, so the visible portion of the bulkheads, will appear to be 10mm wide, to follow the other forms.
The visible portion of the bulkheads will cut to make it like the others forms, which I'll be making.
WITH ALL THE EXTRA MERBAU IN THE HULL, THE EXTRA WEIGHT AT THE BOTTOM SHOULD HELP TO LOWER THE CENTRE OF GRAVITY!
HENSE LOWER THE CHANCE OF TOPPING OVER.
This brings me to another
IMPORTANT THING THAT I HAVE TO CONSIDER!
The weight of the extra hardwood forms that will only be on the starboard side!
I don't know how much extra weight there will be, but I would presume it will be enough to make the yacht 'lop sidded' to the starboard side.
To counteract this, I'm planning to put a series of bolts on the PORT SIDE with heavy weights attached to the ends of these bolts. The bolts will be able to move in and out (before the planking is done on the hull), I'll will place the model on a pendulum stand and adjust the screw, so a balance point will be obtained.
The further I'll screw the bolts out, the weight on the bolts will appear to increase because of NEWTON'S 3RD LAW, if I'm not mistaken! And screwing in, the weight will decrease respectively.
Sounds good in theory, only doing it will tell if I'm correct!
The stand will be use to hold the model while I'll be working in it, so it will have a double use!

Photo to come very soon.

Havagooday and thanks for watching.
Greg

Greg,
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to have a close look at your kit yesterday! I was really impressed by the kit itself as well as by seeing your thorough research and preparations for the build. I am sure it will be a beautiful model!
I have to say that I was flabbergasted by the quality of the Boxwood decorations. I know the ship quite well but even so the number and quality of the detailed accessories in this kit is just amazing.
Good luck with the build and again thanks for the friendly reception!
Janos

Greg,
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to have a close look at your kit yesterday! I was really impressed by the kit itself as well as by seeing your thorough research and preparations for the build. I am sure it will be a beautiful model!
I have to say that I was flabbergasted by the quality of the Boxwood decorations. I know the ship quite well but even so the number and quality of the detailed accessories in this kit is just amazing.
Good luck with the build and again thanks for the friendly reception!
Janos

G'day Janos
It was a pleasure to finally to see you in person. You are always welcome here, whenever you are in the area.
Thank you so much for your valuable advice on cleaning up the carvings, and on which tool to use etc.
I have bought some of the sanding discs on eBay, and I'll should have them very soon.
Again thank you for coming.
Havagooday
Greg and Luz

Now you have to be very happy to realy work on the project (after birthday in December).......I will follow your work and future posts with big interest.

Now you have to be very happy to realy work on the project (after birthday in December).......I will follow your work and future posts with big interest.

G'day Uwek
Thank you for following my posts. The weather here for the pass 3 days have been unbearably hot and humid. It's has been too hot to work in my corner of the garage, so I've been on my computer trying to work out all the issues.
One thing I know, there're a lot of bolts and nuts, that I'll be used to tie all the hardwood and plywood together. There will be at least one hundred and forty four 6mm nuts and bolts to hold the hardwood blocks of hardwood and plywood together. There will the same amount of screwsthat I'll be using the hold the first strengthening decking to the bulkheads and keel.
I will post photos when (or if) the temperatures are at a reasonable working environment.
Thanks for watching and havagooday to you and everyone.
Greg

Back