ROYAL CAROLINE 1:30 by Zhl my version, by Peglegreg

G'day. All
I'm still here.
Its had been been a hard slog to get this far.
I realized that the bulkheads internal design was not completely correct, so here are the updated bulkheads.
20180516_232328.jpg
20180516_231705.jpg
20180516_232457.jpg
20180517_003832.jpg
20180516_232528.jpg
20180517_003749.jpg
20180516_232603.jpg
20180516_232703.jpg
20180516_232828.jpg
Bulkheads 2 to 7 was incorrect on my first edition only on the port side. No big issues here.
I was going to be finish with all the designs about 5 weeks ago, BUT I have discovered a major problem in my design. Luckily it was picked up before the 'saw dust' time.
The problem was, there wasn't enough wall thickness between the transom's outer edge windows and the outside of the bulkheads. The kit's carvings only allow for 5mm space and my bulkheads are 5mm wide at some places plus the the 2mm planking on both sides. That means the windows will be covered by at least 4 mm of timber.... this is NOT GOOD.
The last 87 mm of the stern has to be redrawn (again) to allow for the wider transom.
What I have to play with was, the stern of the yacht has to the same size transom because of the carvings, but its must be wider.
The solution was to put the carved statues on the outer corners to be intertwine with the stern carvings. 10 mm was added to the transoms face and this caused the bulheads from stern to bulkhead 11 (included) to be wider. The only bulkheads now, that I have to work on is number 11 and the fake forms between 11 and 12.
To date, there were 21 pieces that had to be changed. This does not include the balsa wood fillers between the bulkheads 16 to 20.
20180516_232948.jpg
20180516_232910.jpg
So far these are the designs to ve cut out of 3mm and 7mm plywood.

I said it was a hard slog earlier because I have been working in a 2D programme, Photoshop, but trying to design in 3D in my head. I think, and hope my solutions works.
One day I'm go to learn CAD.
The making of these pieces, will tell me soon, if my assumptions are correct or wrong.
Hope to bring you same actual wood photos very soon, but my son is coming over to help me rearrange my shipyard into s more workable state. Hopefully it will be completed by early next week.
Havagooday and thanks for reading.
Greg

Hello Greg.
Good to see you getting back into it.
It will be interesting to see how it all fits together.

I have to admit, I have been looking around for a sailing ship to build. But when I read the difficulties of what may be involved I start getting second thoughts.
However, I value the truth above anything else, for it is the only reality. So, for me, your honest build log will be highly valued, regardless of the model's outcome.

Hi Greg
Your build looks great. Also try SYREN'S Serv-O-Matic serving machine, it comes as a kit (neat and fun) good quality. They also have a very nice rope walk. I have some of their rope that they made on it and it is very nice and affordable. Check out their video of both machines I think you will like them. Keep up the good work.

Hello Greg.
Good to see you getting back into it.
It will be interesting to see how it all fits together.

I have to admit, I have been looking around for a sailing ship to build. But when I read the difficulties of what may be involved I start getting second thoughts.
However, I value the truth above anything else, for it is the only reality. So, for me, your honest build log will be highly valued, regardless of the model's outcome.

G'day Peter
Don't get me wrong! The kit of the RC is a great build from out of the box, it's when you are doing things to the kit, that is when you can fall into the 'poop' so to speak.
I would have never realized the problem if I didn't do changes. It looks very good and no one should be any the wiser.
Thanks for looking in mate.
Greg

Usually when you start modifiy a kit broblems will arise,because was not designed to be modified,but thats the fun part,like on my Ontario with help of Mike I am plan bashing her and modifing her.No worries Greg you are on a good track.

Usually when you start modifiy a kit broblems will arise,because was not designed to be modified,but thats the fun part,like on my Ontario with help of Mike I am plan bashing her and modifing her.No worries Greg you are on a good track.
Thanks for your vote of confidence mate. I need it and more! Thanks for watching and the likes.
Happymodeling
Greg

Thanks for your vote of confidence mate. I need it and more! Thanks for watching and the likes.
Happymodeling
Greg
Greg, don't forget that actual practice, and moving through difficulties, surpasses any pep talk.
Confidence is based on believing you can do it; especially when you just done it. That is why I am a strong advocate for experimentation. Experiment until you get it, then with confidence do it to the real thing.

Greg, don't forget that actual practice, and moving through difficulties, surpasses any pep talk.
Confidence is based on believing you can do it; especially when you just done it. That is why I am a strong advocate for experimentation. Experiment until you get it, then with confidence do it to the real thing.

That is so true Peter!
I always get a kick when it works out.
I always go by the old adage 'if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again.'
Havagooday mate
Greg

Announcement.jpg
Many members has noticed that I was absent from SOS for about a month.
The reason why that was; unfortunately my Parkinson's disease symptoms had came back and this time it was with a vengeance.
I lost track of how many days that I was bedridden with uncontrollable head, arms and legs movements, at least 3 or 4 days.
Even with the aid of my HEMP OIL, my PD was very serve. I hate to think what I would be like if it wasn't for the oil. LOL
Slowly I got better. And now I'm back to my old self. The reason for this attach was because my PD medication wasn't been absorbed by my body due to the my Crohn's disease.
I had plenty of time to think about my RC model and to wonder if I have enough time left before my PD takes over completely.
If I continues with my planned idea, instead of just doing the kit 'as is.', it would probably take at least 1 or 2 years in extra time. This time, I might realistically have, so under a lot of deep and meaningful thinking,

I have came to the concussion that I have to abandon my original idea and to build this model almost to the kit's build.

This decision has been very hard one to make and knowing this attack of PD came shortly after I started my shipyard's renovations, (and once again I have to say a huge thank you to my son Jon for his great help when I was incapable of doing a thing). my wife and I, think it was the stress of the renovation, along with the C's Disease that brought on my latest attack.
Now that I have came to this decision, I feel a lot better knowing that I can still put my signature on this build. It wouldn't be a grand as what I was planning, but I've still got some unique ideas that I can add.
I hope that you all will still follow me on this build.

My first entry will be the start of the
Ship's Boat 'kit within a kit'.
I be using John/Neptune's log on his version of the ship's boat, a tremendous amount for all it's valuable knowledge.
I have converted the Chinese instructions into English with photos to help me on this task.
Happymodeling
Greg

Dear Greg,
I am deeply saddened to hear that the Parkinson's disease has caused you to pack away the Royal Caroline model.
It must be truly awful living with such a medical problem like that. Anyway, glad to hear you will tackle the ships boat, so looking forward to seeing that commence soon.
cheers mate.

G'day Brian
I'll still be doing the Royal Caroline build as per the kit, but I'm not going to add the interiors and the open starboard side that I was planning to do.
Havagooday mate
Greg

Very happy to read that you are much better these days. Looking forward to reading and seeing any further progress to your model.
Now, remember, faith supersedes stress ;). As you once told me, there is a reason for everything. And that reason is always of benefit to whoever sees it.

Better get my popcorn machine out. . .

80nc0pH.gif

. . . and start making popcorn for the show and tell build.

Back