ROYAL CAROLINE 1:30 by Zhl my version, by Peglegreg

Hi Greg

Just love that wooden floor.

Tell your wife that was a fantastic idea to have a feature wall.

Denis.
Thanks mate, the wooden floor like great and we are so pleased with it.
I don't know if I should tell my wife about her great idea on the feature wall. She might think up something else. Lol.
But I havta amit, it was a great idea.

Looks awesome Greg, fantastic work! With this speed, there is a great chance you will return to the shipyard soon.
Thanks Jim for your encouragement, but unfortunately I have to do the skirtings boards around most of the house first.
I bought 970 lineal metres of skirting boards last year to do the job and they were and still are placed un 6 metres lenght on the floor behind my work area in the garage.
As it is now they are not the in the road of anything. Mid January were are getting solar power installed and the installation people need the corner if the garage to o the ace the inverter, so the skirting boards have to go.
BUMMER again.

Hi Greg,

Great result and now still plenty of room for some nice large ship models. I already see a nice spot for your RC.

PS don't tell the rest of the family that you are that good at diy, otherwise you will make it never back into the shipyard.:).
Thanks Maarten for your words.
You are right, I'm planning to put the Royal Caroline on the right of the archway that goes into the entry.

Beautiful room Greg you did a fine job for an old guy.;) Tell the wife she is a great designer. Happy birthday mate.
Thanks Mike
I will tell my wife that she a great interior decorator.
But wait mate, you are not far behind me age wise, so knock off the old age grap. LOL :pROTF
Thanks for the sentiment anyway.

G'day all
The past week the temperature here on the Central Coast of NSW has been 44°C with the humidity if 85%. It's a killer and too hot to do any work at all in the garage.

But I've been thinking a lot about the Royal Caroline and the ship's boat.
I want to say a huge thank you to @ziled68 Ray who posted a photo of the painting by John Cleveley the Elder (c.1712 – 21 May 1777) of The Royal Caroline.
John Cleveley Royal Caroline Yacht.jpg
I was looking at this painting and found some differences between this painting and the AoTS's drawings which this kit is based on.
The Naval Artist in the 17th, 18th and the 19th centuries are well know of to be very, very accurate and their painting and they are used to get the best pictorial records.
So taking this into account, I will be following this painting as close as possible.
This photo below is from @neptune John's log of the starboard side.
649.jpg
And the next photo from my good friend @Maarten logs
20181128_212348.jpg
Now compare the above 2 photos to this one of the zoom in from the painting below:

20190106_131219.jpg
sorry about the quality, its the best that is available. I colour corrected the psonyong to grt s better contrast.
Look at the top of the carvings and the top scroll is missing! I also think the bottom scrolls are also not shown.
This could be because the scroll is very small and it was too insignificant to show as per this model that I have found searching through the net:
Screenshot_20190106-130102_Gallery.jpg
But it doesn't take into the fact that there are carving in the light blue areas in the above photo.
So therefore I don't know what I'll do about this small carvings. One idea that I have to make them less pronounced as they are now.
Please give me feed back on this one guys!

Another area where there's a significant difference can also be seen in the enlargement photo of the stern.
The quarter window section appears to be 'coming out' from the hull.
Its completely different from the carving that is in the kit and with the AoTS version.
20190106_151251.jpg

Compare to this:
20190106_152149.jpg
What do you guys think?
Any ideas?

Hey Greg,
I believe I understand what you are talking about. It is my belief that what you are referring to is if the quarter window is projected from the outboard bulk head or if it sits flush against it. Look at the attached photo between option 1 and 2.

Capture.JPG

Mind you, this is my understanding of the question you asked. In option 1 above, the projected window allows for a carving to be placed in that little nook area without obscuring the view from the forward facing window. If you place a carving in the same area in option 2 then you will obscure the window's view.

Based on these observations, it is my belief that you are correct and the quarter window is in fact projected from the outer hull. Mind you, this is just my thought and I could be totally wrong but it does make food for thought.

Ray

Hey Greg,
I believe I understand what you are talking about. It is my belief that what you are referring to is if the quarter window is projected from the outboard bulk head or if it sits flush against it. Look at the attached photo between option 1 and 2.

View attachment 71064

Mind you, this is my understanding of the question you asked. In option 1 above, the projected window allows for a carving to be placed in that little nook area without obscuring the view from the forward facing window. If you place a carving in the same area in option 2 then you will obscure the window's view.

Based on these observations, it is my belief that you are correct and the quarter window is in fact projected from the outer hull. Mind you, this is just my thought and I could be totally wrong but it does make food for thought.

Ray
G'day Ray
You hit the nail on it's head.
That is exactly what I'm referring to. Thank you for the added diagrams to help explain my thoughts.
To me it may look a bit strange to do it, but I have to experiment on it when I'm at that stage.
Allthebest

Back