ROYAL CAROLINE 1:30 by Zhl my version, by Peglegreg

How are you Greg? I see that you have did a great job on your homestead, very nice , bright and cherry with all of that great out side light shining in. Will have to do a lot of catch up on all of the great builds here on the Great SOS Forum's.
Regards Lawrence

Last edited:
Hi Greg,

That's a whole lot of work for one chimney o_O and just too much for me. I think I'm going to stick with the stock chimney on my RC but use copper flake to cover it. I saw one build log by Doris (paper modeler) who scratch built her RC out of cardstock and she did it so that it looked like it was made of pottery. Who knows how it was really made. I like the copper idea better than pottery though.

Take care,

Bob

Hi Greg,

That's a whole lot of work for one chimney o_O and just too much for me. I think I'm going to stick with the stock chimney on my RC but use copper flake to cover it. I saw one build log by Doris (paper modeler) who scratch built her RC out of cardstock and she did it so that it looked like it was made of pottery. Who knows how it was really made. I like the copper idea better than pottery though.

Take care,

Bob
G'day Bob
About the copper coating on the chimney, I emailed London Maritime Museum and asked them how was the chimney made. A few weeks later, I got a response stating it was probably made from copper from their resources.
Happymodeling
Greg

I'm truly impressed by the amount of work you (and Maarten and many other modellers) put into every tiny detail. Every small part of the ship becomes a project in itself Thumbsup.

I wonder about something in regards to the copper chimney. My daughter once told me that it is almost a full time job to polish the brass fittings on their small 62 feet yawl. The brass fittings has to polished every single day. And this is today where special marine brass alloy has been invented. Salt mist is really hard for any kind of metal. Even though RC was a royal yacht and they possibly could afford having a deckboy polishing it every day, would it be possible to keep copper blank in those days? And if they could would they want to? Wouldn't a blue-green oxidation layer be the best protection against corrosion?

G’day all
The past 3 months or so, I have been working on the English translation of the Royal Caroline instructions and part list. 20200722_120607.jpg
This was a massive undertaking and I have spent about 140 hours on it. All of the 1300 + photos have been brighten and corrected and are placed as close as possible to the text which they are mentioned.
20200722_120833.jpg
This PDF has a contents page and all you have to do is to touch the page in the contents and it takes you to that page.
20200722_120924.jpg20200722_120728.jpg
The Chinese to English translation was done using both Google Translate and Simply Translate programs. I used the two programs to pick out the clearest version. I probably use Google about 90% of the time.
20200722_122802.jpg
The parts list was a nightmare because I have dealt them on a line by line basis.

The English is not perfect, but it gets the message across.

Happymodeling
Greg

Back