ZHL Black Pearl 2020 Golden Edition [COMPLETED BUILD]

Tony, I found this PDF, it may help. I plan on going with mostly furled sails, I think…perhaps a few full…..I figure if I have to go through the trial of running lines, placing blocks and all the remaining misery, I feel all full sails hides a lot of the mast and rigging work. JMHO.

Attachments

• ScaleSails.pdf
    801.2 KB · Views: 41
I have a question and would appreciate an opinion.
I have tried the sails in place and I'm not to happy with the way they look, to me the material is to thick and the weave to course.

View attachment 244489
My problem is do I use the material provided or find a replacement. As there is a lot of work in sewing them up I need to decide now. The other BP's that have been built using the standard sails looked OK.
Any suggestions for the best material to use as its the first time I have put sails on a model ?
Great question! After sewing them, I soaked in weak tea to color them a bit. I think that may have caused the weave to close up a bit because of expansion. Before shaping them, I applied sanding primer to stiffen them up a bit and hold their shape. It also closed up holes a bit. I think Kurt (Darivs) uses starch (spray on?). Most of the more experienced use something called silkspan. They swear by it. Never seen or tried it myself.

Great question! After sewing them, I soaked in weak tea to color them a bit. I think that may have caused the weave to close up a bit because of expansion. Before shaping them, I applied sanding primer to stiffen them up a bit and hold their shape. It also closed up holes a bit. I think Kurt (Darivs) uses starch (spray on?). Most of the more experienced use something called silkspan. They swear by it. Never seen or tried it myself.
Vic, the pdf I sent Tony mentions silkspan....they say you can get it at any hobby shop that has model airplane supplies.....also read that the camera lens tissue paper at a photo store a bit lighter but works as well....problem is it is in small sheets!

Tony, I found this PDF, it may help. I plan on going with mostly furled sails, I think…perhaps a few full…..I figure if I have to go through the trial of running lines, placing blocks and all the remaining misery, I feel all full sails hides a lot of the mast and rigging work. JMHO.
Thanks for the PDF very interesting. I think I'll have a go at making my own sails and if it doesn't work out I'll use the ZHL ones. Once I have the sails made I'll see if I can raise them or not.

I've seen a post about using silkspan for sails and they look really good. Silkspan is used to cover model aircraft and should be available at hobby stores I haven't found any near me though. I'm leaning towards a cotton fabric as the silkspan and tissue may be to lightweight, I really want something at will last.

I've seen a post about using silkspan for sails and they look really good. Silkspan is used to cover model aircraft and should be available at hobby stores I haven't found any near me though. I'm leaning towards a cotton fabric as the silkspan and tissue may be to lightweight, I really want something at will last.
I just used the ones they sent me, and they turned out fine. Yours is a different version, so I don’t know what they sent you. I liked the fact they were pre-cut. My Connie just had a roll of cloth and some prints showing how big the sails were.

I am currently looking at different ways to make the sails, found one that doesn't need any sewing. I am going to make some samples and see how they look if it's no good I'll use the material provided.
I want to test the sails before I build the masts up it'll give me more room to play with and less chance of damage.
While I was looking at the model I wasn't happy with the crowd feet and decided to redo them.

IMG_20210704_170231~2.jpg
This is my first attempt I should have used blocks to attach the euphroe block to the stay but the blocks where way to big so I tied it directly to the stay. It was difficult to get the tension right, as the lines where rigged and a bit of tension put on the previous ones would go loose. I think some of the problem is the rope I'm using is not flexible enough. This was the best I could do without the stay moving up to much.

IMG_20210711_111604~2.jpgIMG_20210711_111836~2.jpg
This is how I ended up rigging the crowsfeet . A clamp was used to temporarily hold the euphroe block in place while it was rigged to the top. When all the lines are in place the tension can be made equal and the euphroe tied to the stay.

IMG_20210711_160657.jpgIMG_20210711_172205.jpg
This is the finished product.

IMG_20210711_160714.jpg
The first two masts have an odd number of lines so the first one comes directly off the euphroe block.
The last one has an even number and has to be rigged differently.

I am currently looking at different ways to make the sails, found one that doesn't need any sewing. I am going to make some samples and see how they look if it's no good I'll use the material provided.
I want to test the sails before I build the masts up it'll give me more room to play with and less chance of damage.
While I was looking at the model I wasn't happy with the crowd feet and decided to redo them.

View attachment 245477
This is my first attempt I should have used blocks to attach the euphroe block to the stay but the blocks where way to big so I tied it directly to the stay. It was difficult to get the tension right, as the lines where rigged and a bit of tension put on the previous ones would go loose. I think some of the problem is the rope I'm using is not flexible enough. This was the best I could do without the stay moving up to much.

View attachment 245478View attachment 245482
This is how I ended up rigging the crowsfeet . A clamp was used to temporarily hold the euphroe block in place while it was rigged to the top. When all the lines are in place the tension can be made equal and the euphroe tied to the stay.

View attachment 245479View attachment 245480
This is the finished product.

View attachment 245481
The first two masts have an odd number of lines so the first one comes directly off the euphroe block.
The last one has an even number and has to be rigged differently.
Did your model come with plans for the crows feet? Mine didn’t.

Tony very good job of black pearl so far watch just about every time I go boat building. Very interested now in yards and bowsprit as you can see just glued in my masts your picture img 20210711-111604-2 jpg taken tony h july 21 2021 10-30pm. I see a set of plans with a camera on them my kit did not come with anything like that is there any chance you could photo them and any info about jards and bowsprit would save me a lot of time which we have now we are in hard lockdown regards terence20210722_144403.jpg

Tony very good job of black pearl so far watch just about every time I go boat building. Very interested now in yards and bowsprit as you can see just glued in my masts your picture img 20210711-111604-2 jpg taken tony h july 21 2021 10-30pm. I see a set of plans with a camera on them my kit did not come with anything like that is there any chance you could photo them and any info about jards and bowsprit would save me a lot of time which we have now we are in hard lockdown regards terenceView attachment 245617
Hi Terence here are some photos of the plans.
IMG_20210723_172426~2.jpgIMG_20210723_172546.jpgIMG_20210723_172626.jpgIMG_20210723_172652.jpg
The lighting in my workshop is not good for this so if you need more info let me know. These plans are not that good but better than nothing, you should be able to zoom in to see the details.

Tony the great thank you so very much for the photos all printed now I have no excuses to finish this model and get on with the victory which I started some time ago regards terence

Tony the great thank you so very much for the photos all printed now I have no excuses to finish this model and get on with the victory which I started some time ago regards terence
No problems the plans are a bit confusing in places, if you have any questions I may be able to help. I can show you how I'm going to do the rigging but I can't guarantee it's right.

I've been playing with sails last week and I'm happy with the samples but there's still a bit more to do.
Due to the lack of instructions I have been holding off on the build in case there is anymore blocks or other stuff to go in that I won't have access to. While experimenting with the sails I checked the rigging requirements and think it's OK.
Yesterday I stepped the masts up and have been preparing the stays and shrouds.
IMG_20210726_150702.jpgIMG_20210726_151458.jpgIMG_20210726_153941.jpg
The stays and shrouds are prepared the same way, first I serve about 25-30mm of the rope then make a loop and serve it again.
IMG_20210726_172701.jpg
IMG_20210726_172643.jpg
Looking at the back of the mast a double stay running down to the channel.

IMG_20210726_172829.jpg
Quite a few loose ends to tie up.

Hi Richie sorry I meant to ask you about your victory is it from a kit, if so which one and how far have you got with it?
gday tony h terence well you asked about the model victory I started building before i retired work a few years ago. The truth is I do not know how to start a building log so when I finish the black pearl I will endeavor to start one. This how far I have got the kit is a weekly sent by mail called Build the Victory by delPrado and asyou can see buy the photos I was up to week 46 the finished should be 100 so I am about half way, let me know what you think? and when I start again should I start a log from week 46 terence

20210727_111605.jpg20210727_111621.jpg20210727_111630.jpg20210727_111659.jpg20210727_112025.jpg20210727_112027.jpg20210727_112049.jpg20210727_112111.jpg20210727_112142.jpg20210727_112154.jpg20210727_112320.jpg20210727_112354.jpg

gday tony h terence well you asked about the model victory I started building before i retired work a few years ago. The truth is I do not know how to start a building log so when I finish the black pearl I will endeavor to start one. This how far I have got the kit is a weekly sent by mail called Build the Victory by delPrado and asyou can see buy the photos I was up to week 46 the finished should be 100 so I am about half way, let me know what you think? and when I start again should I start a log from week 46 terence
I'm not familiar with this kit but you've made a lot of progress, the Victory is a ship everyone wants to make.
The logs are quite easy to do just put the model name and manufacturer in the thread title at the top of the section then start your log. It's not to late to start one for your Black Pearl it would be interesting to know which version you have and see some photos at the beginning of the build if you have them.

Back