ZHL Black Pearl 2020 Golden Edition [COMPLETED BUILD]

gday tony h terence well you asked about the model victory I started building before i retired work a few years ago. The truth is I do not know how to start a building log so when I finish the black pearl I will endeavor to start one. This how far I have got the kit is a weekly sent by mail called Build the Victory by delPrado and asyou can see buy the photos I was up to week 46 the finished should be 100 so I am about half way, let me know what you think? and when I start again should I start a log from week 46 terence

View attachment 246367View attachment 246368View attachment 246369View attachment 246370View attachment 246371View attachment 246372View attachment 246373View attachment 246374View attachment 246375View attachment 246376View attachment 246377View attachment 246378
Beautiful work on this ship!

I've been playing with sails last week and I'm happy with the samples but there's still a bit more to do.
Due to the lack of instructions I have been holding off on the build in case there is anymore blocks or other stuff to go in that I won't have access to. While experimenting with the sails I checked the rigging requirements and think it's OK.
Yesterday I stepped the masts up and have been preparing the stays and shrouds.
View attachment 246221View attachment 246222View attachment 246223
The stays and shrouds are prepared the same way, first I serve about 25-30mm of the rope then make a loop and serve it again.
View attachment 246225
View attachment 246224
Looking at the back of the mast a double stay running down to the channel.

View attachment 246226
Quite a few loose ends to tie up.
Looks great, think I will need to try this method myself.

Every now and then I take a break from rigging and play with the sails. The method I'm using I found on YouTube it's good because there's no sewing.

IMG_20210720_114220.jpg
This is my progress so far these are just for practice as I have never done sails before. I will go through the method when I start making the sails that will be used on the ship.

IMG_20210720_114136.jpg
The forecourse was my first attempt, the colour did not work how I expected and I made it double thickness which was to much.

IMG_20210720_114159.jpgIMG_20210719_135206.jpgIMG_20210719_140137.jpg
The next two came out much better still a few more improvements to be tested out on the next one which should be ready soon.

Every now and then I take a break from rigging and play with the sails. The method I'm using I found on YouTube it's good because there's no sewing.

View attachment 247254
This is my progress so far these are just for practice as I have never done sails before. I will go through the method when I start making the sails that will be used on the ship.

View attachment 247257
The forecourse was my first attempt, the colour did not work how I expected and I made it double thickness which was to much.

View attachment 247255View attachment 247258View attachment 247256
The next two came out much better still a few more improvements to be tested out on the next one which should be ready soon.
Watching with interest as I will also be attempting sails for the first time soon.

View attachment 247254

View attachment 247257

View attachment 247255View attachment 247258View attachment 247256
Lookin’ good Tony….slow and steady as she goes! I’ll be following a lot of advice from Jodie and you whenever I reach this point! I’ll likely take a break before the rigging and do a lot more research on blocks, knits, and such…..in the end, I’ll just have to try!

Finished the sail trials and I'm confident I can make a set of sails without having to sew them. The last one I made up is pretty much how they will look. These ones are to dark but I wanted to experiment a little with the colour to see how it would look.

View attachment 248108View attachment 248109View attachment 248110View attachment 248111

I will detail how they are made as I make them for the ship.
Looking forward to your details on how-to-make the sails Tony! All tips help & are educational, no matter what level of experience or lack of!ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

Finished the sail trials and I'm confident I can make a set of sails without having to sew them. The last one I made up is pretty much how they will look. These ones are to dark but I wanted to experiment a little with the colour to see how it would look.

View attachment 248108View attachment 248109View attachment 248110View attachment 248111

I will detail how they are made as I make them for the ship.
Tony, I should get on the forum more often. Beautiful work. Attention to detail is awesome.

Hi again nearly finished the ratlines it's been a bit of a learning curve but I'm getting there.

IMG_20210807_080741~2.jpg
First I tried using the recommended rope from the kit but it was to thick, after a few experiments I decided to use standard overlocking thread.

IMG_20210814_105245.jpg
This is my setup for rigging it's really handy to have a table that I can adjust the height.

IMG_20210809_134337~2.jpg
The ratlines are set at 5.5mm which should equal just over 12 inches when scaled up.

IMG_20210809_140307.jpg
After a while I got pretty good at doing these knots.

,IMG_20210809_160723~2.jpgIMG_20210810_171517~2.jpg
First one complete I secured the ends with a touch of super glue then trimmed the ends. I'll post some more photos when finished. Any questions please ask.

Hi, Tony,
This is a very timely post for me. The posts on my BP are lagging the actual build, but I just started my first two ratlines this morning. I counted the number of ratlines shown in various pictures in the documentation to arrive at around a 7mm spacing which is more like 17 inches on full size. I have read somewhere that typical ratline spacing was around 15-17 inches (38-43cm). I am going with thread significantly smaller than the shrouds which are the largest ropes I am using on the model.

Can you post the URL for the YouTube video concerning making sails that you mentioned in your Aug 1, 2021 post? Thanks.

Nice work table. Lowering the height of the model would be great for doing the ratlines and rigging at the upper parts of the masts.

Hi again nearly finished the ratlines it's been a bit of a learning curve but I'm getting there.

View attachment 250726
First I tried using the recommended rope from the kit but it was to thick, after a few experiments I decided to use standard overlocking thread.

View attachment 250728
This is my setup for rigging it's really handy to have a table that I can adjust the height.

View attachment 250729
The ratlines are set at 5.5mm which should equal just over 12 inches when scaled up.

View attachment 250732

,View attachment 250730View attachment 250731
First one complete I secured the ends with a touch of super glue then trimmed the ends. I'll post some more photos when finished. Any questions please ask.
Very nice looking setup and the model is looking great.

Hi, Tony,
This is a very timely post for me. The posts on my BP are lagging the actual build, but I just started my first two ratlines this morning. I counted the number of ratlines shown in various pictures in the documentation to arrive at around a 7mm spacing which is more like 17 inches on full size. I have read somewhere that typical ratline spacing was around 15-17 inches (38-43cm). I am going with thread significantly smaller than the shrouds which are the largest ropes I am using on the model.

Can you post the URL for the YouTube video concerning making sails that you mentioned in your Aug 1, 2021 post? Thanks.

Nice work table. Lowering the height of the model would be great for doing the ratlines and rigging at the upper parts of the masts.
I tried a few different spacing for the ratlines this one looked about right and was the same for all the masts.

This is the link for the sails check his other pages they're excellent.

Also check @moreplovac Brigantine Phoenix log post 374 there is some very detailed information on sail making, as always I only found this after I had made my trail sails.

View attachment 250726

View attachment 250728

View attachment 250729

View attachment 250732

View attachment 250726

View attachment 250728

View attachment 250729

View attachment 250732

Great work Tony! I’ll be referring back to this when the time is appropriate! I bought one of those little deadeye jigs in hopes that it will help me with that part of the build….I haven’t done anything last week because of other plans….need to get back in gear tomorrow!

Tony, I love your table and magnifying lens. Does it have a light attached and where did you get them?
Hi Vic the magnifying glass is just a standard portable one that clamps onto the bench.IMG_20210817_111940.jpg
The table is a one off that I made myself. A long time ago I purchased some production equipment from a factory that was closing down, the aluminium extrusions are excellent for making projects. This is one of the things I made with the parts.

Great work Tony! I’ll be referring back to this when the time is appropriate! I bought one of those little deadeye jigs in hopes that it will help me with that part of the build….I haven’t done anything last week because of other plans….need to get back in gear tomorrow!
That sounds interesting what does the deadeye jig do?

Hi Vic the magnifying glass is just a standard portable one that clamps onto the bench.View attachment 250848
The table is a one off that I made myself. A long time ago I purchased some production equipment from a factory that was closing down, the aluminium extrusions are excellent for making projects. This is one of the things I made with the parts.
That’s a big help! I don’t think I’ll be making one of those any time soon!

Hi Tony,
Just catching up on your build. I enjoyed the video on sail making without sewing! If I do sails I will use this method. Your shrouds and rats look great. I had over a thousand clove hitches on my HMS Fly. you get real good at them.

I tried a few different spacing for the ratlines this one looked about right and was the same for all the masts.

This is the link for the sails check his other pages they're excellent.

Also check @moreplovac Brigantine Phoenix log post 374 there is some very detailed information on sail making, as always I only found this after I had made my trail sails.
Looking at your sails after watching the video makes it clear on how you made the sails. I am not sure I have the patience for doing them like that, but I will certainly consider it. Thanks for sharing the link.

Back