ZHL Black Pearl 2020 Golden Edition [COMPLETED BUILD]

Very nice. I agree with your comment on the sail material that is supplied. I think I will try to do something similar to what you are doing. Thanks for the ideas and link provided earlier. I am thinking of a more grey color for the sails since it is the Black Pearl.
I thought about a grey colour as I was cutting out the sails but it was too late to change my mind, most sails I've seen are stained with tea or coffee so that was the colour I went for.

Hey Tony, good work! So much to learn eh? Thanks for all your input! I’m taking some end of summer time off! Will be ready to get back to the Pearl soon though! Great fun to continue into the fall and up to Thanksgiving! Then another break until after the 1st of the year. Slow and easy, no race right?

Thanks Rick make the most of summer time, we're just coming out of winter and looking forward to some better weather. I'm slowly learning how to do the rigging trying not to take short cuts by doing it correctly, good practice for my next build.

Amazing work Tony, you are very meticulous and the ship reflects that.

Making progress with the sails, adding the rope around the outside edge is easier than I thought it would be. I ended up using PVA glue, carefully applying it to the edge of the sail and pressing the rope against it about an inch at a time.

IMG_20210829_093515.jpg
To make a loop at the corner glue the rope up to the corner and wait for the glue to set.

IMG_20210829_094216.jpg
Tie the rope to make a loop.

IMG_20210829_095019.jpg
Pull the rope to make the loop. To insure they are all the same size I pulled the rope around a pin then glued it in place.

IMG_20210830_084932.jpg
IMG_20210830_085057~2.jpg
IMG_20210901_124923~2.jpg
Finished set of sails.

Thanks for all likes and complements it's very encouraging.
I'm making progress with the sails, I wasn't happy with the material provided in the kit so I looked at making my own. Browsing online I found a way to make them with no sewing required, the link is on post #274.
I've simplified and adapted the method to suit.

View attachment 254003
Firstly I checked the size of the sails by making paper templates the drawing sizes are not very good.

View attachment 253988
I got some cotton material to experiment with. The colour was achieved with a acrylic wash then coated with a 50:50 PVA water mix to stop the material fraying when it's cut.

View attachment 253990
The material was cut into 20mm strips.

View attachment 253992View attachment 253994
The strips are stuck together with a 50:50 PVA mix applied with a syringe, the overlap is 1.5 - 2mm.

View attachment 253995View attachment 253996
The sail is cut out then the edges added.

View attachment 253997
After final trimming next job is adding the rope around the outside.
Interested to see how the sails turn out, I am thinking of customising mine when I get to it.
Did the rigging line you are using come with the kit?
The whole build is looking fantastic.

Hi Tony H. terence here been waiting to see how you are building your sails.Dont know how I will go with mine as you can see my black pearl is not like the real model , as you can see (photos ). I will still be looking as your model 10/10 in my option,still in lockdown 76 days now so no excuses to finish the B.P

20210822_132407.jpg20210827_104931.jpg20210827_104956.jpg20210827_105006.jpg

Interested to see how the sails turn out, I am thinking of customising mine when I get to it.
Did the rigging line you are using come with the kit?
The whole build is looking fantastic.
I'll be posting some photos soon, now the weather is getting better I've run out of excuses and had to do some work on the house.
The black line came with the kit the beige line was purchased.

Hi Tony H. terence here been waiting to see how you are building your sails.Dont know how I will go with mine as you can see my black pearl is not like the real model , as you can see (photos ). I will still be looking as your model 10/10 in my option,still in lockdown 76 days now so no excuses to finish the B.P
Hi Terry this model is taking a lot longer than I expected but I am enjoying the build, there are parts that could be done differently that would have saved time. I reckon you'll be out of lockdown before me, our 5 day quick fix is just entering it sixth week we're the most locked down state in the world.

Hi there not much has been done on the pearl this week started painting the decking making the most of the spring weather.
Started preparing a yard, once I work out how to do the first one the rest will be much easier.

IMG_20210903_161340.jpgIMG_20210903_161933.jpg
These are the first two steps to make a truss pendent which is used to hold the yard to the mast.

IMG_20210903_163131.jpg
Place a loop on the yard and a pin in the other loop pull the ends of the rope and tighten. This also works for blocks, just place a block where the pin is.
IMG_20210904_072737.jpg
Trim the excess rope job done.

IMG_20210905_121742~2.jpg

This is how it works some trucks (wooden balls) will be fitted when it's mounted to the mast.

IMG_20210907_133833~2.jpg
This is how I'm preparing the yards. Hoping to get a sail fitted this weekend, will get back later.

Great work Tony….it looks like you have studied up and are applying your knowledge to good use. I don’t believe I’ll be able to accomplish this type of detail. Excellent work! Be well.
Rick

Hi there not much has been done on the pearl this week started painting the decking making the most of the spring weather.
Started preparing a yard, once I work out how to do the first one the rest will be much easier.

View attachment 255633View attachment 255634
These are the first two steps to make a truss pendent which is used to hold the yard to the mast.

View attachment 255636
Place a loop on the yard and a pin in the other loop pull the ends of the rope and tighten. This also works for blocks, just place a block where the pin is.
View attachment 255635
Trim the excess rope job done.

View attachment 255637

This is how it works some trucks (wooden balls) will be fitted when it's mounted to the mast.

View attachment 255638
This is how I'm preparing the yards. Hoping to get a sail fitted this weekend, will get back later.
Nice explanation.

Great work Tony….it looks like you have studied up and are applying your knowledge to good use. I don’t believe I’ll be able to accomplish this type of detail. Excellent work! Be well.
Rick
Yeah, you will. Take your time and don’t be like me: “Instructions? We don’t need no stinking instructions!”

Rick
Hi Rick 6 months ago I didn't know if I would be able to do the rigging but with a bit of practice and a few redos this is where I am. You'll be amazed at what your able to do when you put your mind to it.

Hi Rick 6 months ago I didn't know if I would be able to do the rigging but with a bit of practice and a few redos this is where I am. You'll be amazed at what your able to do when you put your mind to it.
i lost a lot of time over the past month…. very little Pearl work! Lost a dear friend to Stage 4 cancer! Hope to pick it up again some starting this week! Working on bow next! Be well, Tony! Your rigging lookd
s great!

So sorry for your loss, Rick.
Thank you Vic. It was a 7 month struggle….young man still. A retired RCMP who we became dear friends with over the years because of our Akita Bears in both our families…..left a young, 52 year old wife with two Beautiful Bears and no kids….they were married for 30 years…kids in love from college…so sad!

Last edited:
Back