ZHL Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
The site shows lots of models but not cheap and with little detail that I could see. The certainly look good but I also would like to see other people's experience- sorry but using search Zhl failed to show me any examples. Can someone help?

Just the first page of threads here in this exact forum has at least six detailed conversations following builds of ZHL kits. They almost all say ZHL right in the title... Very obvious to find and look through!

The quality of the kits seems very nice in general based on the information and photos shared on the forum. Less expensive ones may lack some detail expected from finer models, but the prices remain competitive. The larger kits can apparently be rather astounding in the level of detail provided out of box.

Happy holidays!

Last edited:
If you want a large HMS Victory go the Caldercraft version, its currently the most detailed and accurate ( pending the whenever, if ever , bank breaking AMATI), but its HUGE!. The photos on the ZHL site for this kit show several different kits, not sure which is the correct one. Max would need to explain. Its not his kit, but a distributed kit . Not sure who the maker is for this one.

My Santa Ana kit is a monster to work around at 1.3m , but the Victory is MUCH bigger in volume. length & height. Be warned, you'll need heaps of space reserved for several years. It all seems like a no problem, till you start the hull expansion & rigging!!! and its too delicate & heavy to move easily. Its not a 'Admiral' relationship enhancing product. No trying to put you off, but just advising on the consequences. I have the CC and its next.
;) Good luck which ever way you go!

I am building ZHL Soleil Royal. I have a build log on it. I have been very satisfied with the kit. It’s build straight out of the box with very little changes to materials.
I agree with Paul and Zoltan on the Caldercraft Victory, I believe this will be my next build.
Check out my log plenty to see.

I have built both the Diane and Agamemnon -monsters (but similar in building methods). Display is a problem and the Bosun (wife) is restrictive. So smaller models with rigging or larger without ,seems to be the way to go (at least until the grandchildren start their own homes).BUT I could make an exception for something really special.

I've not seen ZHL's HMS Victory model yet. However, I do have the Caldercraft version of the HMS Victory. I am currently in the middle of another project, Occre's Satisima Trinidad. I've not shared my progression with the site as I it was only my 2nd project and I was not comfortable with sharing, my yet unknown skills amongst all the talent on the SoS site.

I am of a certain discipline, and will not start a project while in the middle of another. However, what I can do for you and the SoS community is do an un-boxing of the Caldercraft HMS Victory so you can have a better understanding of the package, quality of materials and clarity of the documentation.

I'll try and get this done next week if you would like. I have looked at it in detail and I can tell you, I'm very impressed with it and excited to get it started. But once again, I'm one to follow my commitment to my current project, to completion.

There are two HMS Victory models available from China
Model one 1/72 scale manufactured by Snail Model a +close+ copy of the Caldercraft vessel.
Model two 1/96 scale manufactured by Shi Cheng
Having built the Snail Model some years ago I would strongly suggest to have a look at the brand new release by Shi Cheng. I feel this release has it all , including some fantastic construction instructions
This kit is just about the best the Chinese market is offering at a reasonable price
4Hmodels the Chinese model site has some great box openings and details of the kit on their web site.
If you contact Max he can guide you regarding these kits
Go for it

I've not seen ZHL's HMS Victory model yet. However, I do have the Caldercraft version of the HMS Victory. I am currently in the middle of another project, Occre's Satisima Trinidad. I've not shared my progression with the site as I it was only my 2nd project and I was not comfortable with sharing, my yet unknown skills amongst all the talent on the SoS site.

I am of a certain discipline, and will not start a project while in the middle of another. However, what I can do for you and the SoS community is do an un-boxing of the Caldercraft HMS Victory so you can have a better understanding of the package, quality of materials and clarity of the documentation.

I'll try and get this done next week if you would like. I have looked at it in detail and I can tell you, I'm very impressed with it and excited to get it started. But once again, I'm one to follow my commitment to my current project, to completion.
Hello @Hoss6262, We have all kinds of talents here at SOS. We do have masters, but most of us average modelers and novices. What does makes SOS unique among other forums is we are willing and can help with your build. We recommend our members to start a build log, so if you ever need help, you can simply post a question. Meanwhile, take a look at the build of one of our member @shelk

Also, we would love to see the unboxing of this model. We called this - a kit review. you can post it here

Thanks Jim. By the way, you may not remember, but I had the misfortune to have my Satisima Trinidad plans destroyed by flooding and you were able to supply me with back up plans while I waited for Occre to supply me with the same. It allowed me to continue my build without delay. Thanks again. I may decided to post my build log from this point forward, we'll see.

Thanks for the link to the other Occre Satisima build log. Honestly, I bought my Trinidad from Occre after reading Donnie's build log at least 10 times, every page. His detail and publication of the challenges he faced compelled me to take on the challenge. I've enjoyed the build, and find the main challenge to be scale issues, which forced me into scratch building certain elements of the model. I'm a bit cursed, being a structural engineer I cannot get passed "inappropriate scale issues".

I will post the unboxing of Caldercraft's HMS Victory under the Kit Review category you suggest. I will also post a link in this thread so the OP can see and find the same.

Happy Holidays!

I totaly agree with Jim on the SOS membership, as I being a intermediate modeler needing a lot of HELP SOS MEMBERS PROVIDE IT FROM KITS TO TOOLS AND SCRATCH BUILDS IT IS ALL HERE ON SITE. THANKS Don

Thanks Jim. By the way, you may not remember, but I had the misfortune to have my Satisima Trinidad plans destroyed by flooding and you were able to supply me with back up plans while I waited for Occre to supply me with the same. It allowed me to continue my build without delay. Thanks again. I may decided to post my build log from this point forward, we'll see.
This is a piece of awesome news! This is proved my point about the build log. We are here to help each other and learn from each other, we are SOS!!! :)

ZHL does very good kits. Very good. My comment is that the ZHL kit method is different from European kits. For example, using laminated woods and thin plywoods. That does not diminish from the quality of the kits...just to say it is different. I believe the ZHL decoration production excels beyond anything that I have seen from other kit manufacturers. I have built several ZHL kits and have the San Felipe yet to open. Great kits! Oh...one more thing...the Chinese to English translations are hysterical if not sometimes puzzling. So some kit experience is helpful especially for their larger builds. ZHL vs Cauldrcraft? Each are different but both will produce a fine model.

Hello @Hoss6262, We have all kinds of talents here at SOS. We do have masters, but most of us average modelers and novices. What does makes SOS unique among other forums is we are willing and can help with your build. We recommend our members to start a build log, so if you ever need help, you can simply post a question. Meanwhile, take a look at the build of one of our member @shelk

Also, we would love to see the unboxing of this model. We called this - a kit review. you can post it here

At your suggestion Jim, I've posted my un-boxing of Caldercraft's H.M.S. Victory, under the Reviews category, https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/h-m-s-victory-caldercraft-unboxing.4178/ . Hope it helps the OP, JohnB163 and anyone else.

Cheers!, Ken

If you want a large HMS Victory go the Caldercraft version, its currently the most detailed and accurate ( pending the whenever, if ever , bank breaking AMATI), but its HUGE!. The photos on the ZHL site for this kit show several different kits, not sure which is the correct one. Max would need to explain. Its not his kit, but a distributed kit . Not sure who the maker is for this one.

My Santa Ana kit is a monster to work around at 1.3m , but the Victory is MUCH bigger in volume. length & height. Be warned, you'll need heaps of space reserved for several years. It all seems like a no problem, till you start the hull expansion & rigging!!! and its too delicate & heavy to move easily. Its not a 'Admiral' relationship enhancing product. No trying to put you off, but just advising on the consequences. I have the CC and its next.
;) Good luck which ever way you go!
I don't think they make Constitution kit anymore. They do have a flying cloud at 48 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back