ZHL motorised Rope Walk, by neptune,

This is the ZHL Motorised Rope Walk kit, Gifted to me by my friend Peg leg Greg,

1a.jpg
Pic of the assembled Rope walk, photo credit to ZHL,

1.jpg
some pics of the components that came included with the kit, see this and the next three pics,

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
and a couple of pics of the laser cut MDF Board,
6.jpg

6.jpg
All the parts came out of the boards cleanly, and the diagrams show clearly how they go together,

7.jpg
Doing a dry run to make sure all the parts fit, everything was great,

8.jpg
the four sides and the top glued together,

9.jpg
another view,

10.jpg
everything fit just nice, the control box structure to the right is just sitting in place, it is not glued as it is hinged to
tip backwards,

Last edited:
11.jpg
Gluing the reinforcing part to the back corner, i used two 3mm drills as locating pins
to slide the part into place,

12.jpg
close up view,

13.jpg
and externall view,

15.jpg
The top of the control box glued in place,

14.jpg
before gluing the front panel of the control box, you have to sand a bevel on the
back edge of it so it sits nicely against the top panel,

16.jpg
The front panel glued in place, with a nice joint with the back panel,

17.jpg
This shows the underneath with the two reinforcing pieces and also the two floors, the one on the right is for
the spare Spools etc, and the one on the left is the bottom of the control box,

18.jpg
just about finished all the carcass, just a few odds and ends to do,

19.jpg
The perspex parts for the cover that goes over the bobbins,

20.jpg
and the parts assembled,

21.jpg
The parts that hold the Bobbins,

22.jpg
I constructed the wooden the wooden parts,

23.jpg
Next up was to veneer all the bare board parts, i started with the control box, very accurate veneer panels were supplied, I used Super glue,

24.jpg
side view before veneer,

25.jpg
and after,

26.jpg
attaching the veneer, the piece at the back is just sitting there,

27.jpg
the front attached, I was really surprised at how easy the veneer went on, it fit like a glove,

28.jpg
So thats all the veneer attached,

29.jpg
overhead view,

30.jpg
no veneer was included for the spool take ups or the motor mounts and also the tall piece at the back, so when i varnished the veneered parts I also gave the other pieces a coat of the varnish, see next pic,

31.jpg
everything varnished, I will probably give the motor mounts and spool holders another coat,
Next up will be the mechanics and the electricals, keeping my fingers crossed,

Thank you for looking in,

best regards John,

Anxious to know if the bobbin spooler on your machine works correctly. Mine runs too fast(dangerous) and there doesn't seem to be a way to slow it down. The rest of the machine worked great. What I am calling the bobbin spooler is the little device on the right side of the unit that is used to thread the little bobbins.

Last edited:
Anxious to know if the bobbin spooler on your machine works correctly. Mine runs too fast(dangerous) and there doesn't seem to be a way to slow it down. The rest of the machine worked great. What I am calling the bobbin spooler is the little device on the right side of the unit that is used to thread the little bobbins.

G'day Jack, is your rope walk the same make as mine, I haven't got to the electrical part yet, so hopefully all will be well,

Best regards John,

View attachment 264773
attaching the veneer, the piece at the back is just sitting there,

View attachment 264774
the front attached, I was really surprised at how easy the veneer went on, it fit like a glove,

View attachment 264775
So thats all the veneer attached,

View attachment 264776
overhead view,

View attachment 264777
no veneer was included for the spool take ups or the motor mounts and also the tall piece at the back, so when i varnished the veneered parts I also gave the other pieces a coat of the varnish, see next pic,

View attachment 264778
everything varnished, I will probably give the motor mounts and spool holders another coat,
Next up will be the mechanics and the electricals, keeping my fingers crossed,

Thank you for looking in,

best regards John,

Your walk is a build in itself!!! With the finish it looks great . . . hope that it works as you anticipate. Rich (PT-2)

Back