ZHL shipping charges.

Gidday all I have been milling over what to build after the Pearl,I spent a couple of days looking through build logs of many ships here narrowing it down to San Feleipe 1/50, I enjoyed in particular Donnie Driscall log of his San Feleipe noting the work around he had to develop and the finished model has inspired my choice awesome build Donnie! So onto the ZHL web site with approval from the Minister of Finance I precede to order the San Feleipe 1/50 $533 AUD got to the checkout and the shipping is $206 AUD this has to be incorrect right? So I sent Max a message via Messenger asking what the availability and shipping cost were that was 2 days ago I recently sent another message to him basically was the shipping price I had seen at the checkout correct and was there anyway this could be reduced that was today 29/08/2020. I goggled shipping price from China to Australia via air freight I found there is 2 ways they calculate the cos 1/ by weight x $. 2/by Dimensional weight x $ dimensional weight is Example: parcel dimensions 88cmx28cmx15cm/6000 representing Air Freight this comes to 6.12kg x $ the approx price couriers like DHL,FedEx,etc charge is around $5USD per kg and they go by what ever is the largest amount so if its method 1/ $5USD x 10kg = $50USD approx $90 AUD or method 2/ $5USD x 6.12kg =$30USD approx $50 AUD can you see why I am bewildered and frankly going to say to the Minister of Finance forget it I'll deal with my lack of something to occupy myself while semi locked down because Covid 19 some other way probably paint the house inside for shits and giggles it just seems not right guys maybe I have mistaken all of this and got all ballsed up it doesn't take much to set me off at the moment, any way maybe someone can show me if I'm wrong and shed some light on it all.

Hoffy... I thought I'd chime in.... I paid US$40 for shipping from China to the Philippines for my Black Pearl..the San Felipe is probably a bigger box but the rates shouldn't be that far apart right? Just for info.

Hi Zoly in my mind the reduced shipping out of China due to Covid would extend the time it takes to arrive at destination should not change the price but I don't run an Freight Airline but if it does maybe some explanation in detail should forth coming, I haven't seen any on the site.I did see on the CAF Model site that they are experiencing limited Air Freight but no details why other than Covid 19.

Hi Zoly in my mind the reduced shipping out of China due to Covid would extend the time it takes to arrive at destination should not change the price
A lot of the air freight shipments used to go with passenger flights. Now almost everything has to go with cargo flights. The capacity is too low compared to the number of shipments. And there may be a lot of shipments piled up in the queue from when there was a total lock down. Prices for air freight is of course, as for almost anything else, determined by 'supply and demand', ergo the prices increases (currently maybe around +25%)
Looking at ZHL the weight of San Felipe seems to be 10.5 kg. To me 206 AUD does not sound wrong.

A lot of the air freight shipments used to go with passenger flights. Now almost everything has to go with cargo flights. The capacity is too low compared to the number of shipments. And there may be a lot of shipments piled up in the queue from when there was a total lock down. Prices for air freight is of course, as for almost anything else, determined by 'supply and demand', ergo the prices increases (currently maybe around +25%)
Looking at ZHL the weight of San Felipe seems to be 10.5 kg. To me 206 AUD does not sound wrong.
Yeah probably right PoulD guess I weight till freight price goes back to normal who can say that it will eventually, or just forget building ships altogether I had a dabble and thats it for me.

I can sympathize with what you are saying. I'm looking at a cutter for strip from USA it would cost about $65AUD the freight is around $90AUD. I'm quite happy to pay the cost of the tool but 150% for the freight???
Thanks AMac we only want to pay reasonable shipping no matter what we don't want to buy shares in the companies as well,it's not surprising the rates have doubled considering the amount of online transactions happening all over the world they are all vultures get in after the kill.

Back