Soleil Royal - ZHL 1/90 Scale by Paulb [COMPLETED BUILD]

Come on, Ken... Basically, it is showing us what is inside the box (kit). quality of the timber\plywood , all various parts, instructions set. Take a look some of the examples of kit reviews in our dedicated section.

Click on any of the links to have an idea

Hi Jimsky.... in the meantime Ken does a profesional review. I will take pictures and do a "box opening " showing details of all the content.

Will try this weekend.

Many, many thanks!

Done.
I had problem posting full images on the last postings of the thread.

I hope that thread will be of help to others that want to know what is included on this kit that PAULB is building.

I've finally finished the port side planking up to the main deck. With all of the wale and plank adjusting to match the starboard side I pretty much destroyed the nice first planking finish. Fortunately the second planking covers everything.
_FPB7554.jpeg_FPB7556.jpeg_FPB7557.jpeg_FPB7558.jpeg_FPB7560.jpeg

Last edited:
47.5 pounds thru Cornwall Model Boats Ltd. That includes shipping across the pond.

I forgot to mention - it looks like the sails will fit this ship model very nicely.

One thing I noticed is that on page 19 (see pic) it calls for wood planking using P3 wood when I should be P13.View attachment 158531

Thank you for that tip !!

I was curious to test the translator app I downloaded. It can translate directly txt if you focus the camera over the txt or from a picture. I translated your picture text. I will use this app a lot.

"Made here, the tail building frame, part of which will be cut off. When making, please do not stick the object to the side of the ship too firmly, because the height of the upper and lower sides needs to be adjusted in the later stage, and you need to use the engraving to compare whether the upper and lower heights are appropriate. Please refer to the drawing"

Cheers
Daniel
Ps: its the Google Translate app. Downloaded on my Galaxy phone.

Last edited:
Hello Heinrich, a small correction (hope you don't mind), I know it is a bit confusing... The ports frames MUST be flush with the first layer of planking (hull). Its the second planking must be recessed 1 ~1.5mm from both sides, Take a look at Uwek's picture (Plan View). Top Timber Futtock, on both sides - is flush with the hull. In our case, it is a port frame. Planks have recessed both sides to make a port stop:

The Port Stop is the distance by which the outer layer of planking overlaps onto the face of Futtok or Top-timber. No rebating required,

View attachment 151519
Just looking at this and wondering that when the gunport template is flush with the first planking and you install the frames flush with the template , would you not have enough recess due to the second planking being only .6 to 1mm thick usually?

Just looking at this and wondering that when the gunport template is flush with the first planking and you install the frames flush with the template , would you not have enough recess due to the second planking being only .6 to 1mm thick usually?
I therefore chose this quarter carefully with the engraver's attachment on my model.Cut it off with a model knife.Veneer 0.6 mm. for the second skin, if you do the ports correctly is not suitable.You need at least 1-1. 5 mm.

I've done a little airbrushing using Vallejo Azul Ultramarine Blue as others have. I elected to end the blue just below the first gun deck. I've seen other models like this and I rather like it. I had to do a lot of masking, but the airbrushing went pretty quick.
IMG_0815.jpgIMG_0816.jpgIMG_0817.jpgIMG_0818.jpgIMG_0819.jpgIMG_0820.jpgIMG_0821.jpgIMG_0822.jpgIMG_0824.jpg

Very nice !!!

I always wanted to learn airbrushing. I have the compressor (my son used it in the past) and basic equipment. I will need to ask him to teach me. I invested a lot on his college education. Now he can return a bit teaching me airbrushing ;):)

Following this built.

Cheers
Daniel

Back