Soleil Royal - ZHL 1/90 Scale by Paulb [COMPLETED BUILD]

With this kit and the instructions, the building sequence gets to be important. Where to start laying down the deck, how much to do, and conserve wood materials always. I put all wood scraps in a bin, sorted by type. Next I feel I should build the between-decks entry way bulkheads. With most of the decks already glued down (oops) I will need to be a little creative. Looking over completed builds of the SL and associated text is very helpful.

I also need to decide wether to go with the part sizes or the plan dimensions. Having built Lots of plastic models, none of this is new. It’s just different materials (nice change too), and much much bigger. And a much longer time investment.

The supplied visible (upper deck) cannons for the look wonky with the upcurved tail end. Is this correct? I've googled French naval cannons 1600 and can't see anything like what is supplied in the kit.
Any thoughts?

Yes they do lol.
Ok, this is the last for today. I’ve installed the hatch cover that is located under the quarter deck, scraped the decks with a razor to smooth this out, and given the decks a thin coat of Minwax Polycrylic. The quarter deck isn’t glued down yet. In the last pic, Notice the spacing strips on top of Two quarter deck posts as well as an additional post glued to the front of the rearmost post. These ate to raise the center of the quarter deck slightly to provide more deck camber.
I plan on raising the two poop decks up about 9mm to match those in the museum model shown in BigMikes build.
C1C16E26-F618-4563-AF35-576524879CAC.jpeg65C05D62-39F1-441D-83FF-0A6493CC19DC.jpegE74524C1-9825-4954-B4CC-F11574A4223A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back