Soleil Royal - ZHL 1/90 Scale by Paulb [COMPLETED BUILD]

János - after thinking long and hard (and also realizing that I really didn't have enough wood stock for a second go), I've decided to follow your advice and stick with my first attempt. And thanks to all of that offered suggestions. I know it's not the best, or up to the standards of many of you, I'm going to accept it and move on having learned something in the process. After treating the lower hull with Gilders Asphaltum, and wiping it down with mineral spirits, I have a nice aged look. I'm also installing the wales using home made pin clamps (which would have really come in handy earlier). As always comments, criticism, and suggestions are welcome.
IMG_0723.jpgIMG_0724.jpgIMG_0725.jpg

Paul,
Great pleasure to follow - will emulate your first planking "how to" along with gun port frames that I got totally wrong with the Vasa build - still learning

BTW - what did you use for the wale treenails - toothpicks? It could be - not sure but wales should be attached with nails or metal cleats as Mr. Deep seems to think??
Cheers,

Last edited:
there is a method of rolling nails out of copper wire.A piece of wire on a hard rubber base is rolled with a shoemaker's knife.You get two nails with rounded heads.Like a nail head.Cut it off in the middle.And in the video, nails are made by master modelers.
You can also take the legs-contacts from old computer processors.926492_original.jpg

Yes the wales should be attached with nails - here I've used beechwood toothpicks. I had planned on painting the wales and toothpicks black. I may apply a small amount of glue (type to be determined) to the end of the toothpick to simulate a small domed nail head as the sanded toothpick may not show up. It's a work in progress.

I have since started the upper hull planking - some of which is still covering the lower gunports.IMG_0728.jpg

Last edited:
Brian077 - yes I totally agree. I wish I did speak Russian it would be a lot easier. Going through a translator leaves a lot to be desired.

Brian077 - да, я полностью согласен. Хотел бы я говорить по-русски, было бы намного проще. Прохождение через переводчика оставляет желать лучшего.

Wow, I have a Victory I'm working on right now. Got my Soleil Royale from ZHL about a month ago.. I'm chomping at the bit to dig into it.

Wow, I have a Victory I'm working on right now. Got my Soleil Royale from ZHL about a month ago.. I'm chomping at the bit to dig into it.
Hello Ken, If you are really chomping to dig into Soleil Royale, you can make a kit review, though. I am 100% positive, you will get lot's of appreciators as this is really popular kit among modelers. What do you think, is it possible? ;)

Hello Ken, If you are really chomping to dig into Soleil Royale, you can make a kit review, though. I am 100% positive, you will get lot's of appreciators as this is really popular kit among modelers. What do you think, is it possible? ;)
What is a kit review?

Come on, Ken... Basically, it is showing us what is inside the box (kit). quality of the timber\plywood , all various parts, instructions set. Take a look some of the examples of kit reviews in our dedicated section.

Click on any of the links to have an idea

Back