Soleil Royal - ZHL 1/90 Scale by Paulb [COMPLETED BUILD]

A few more photos from today. Following the builds of BigMike and Mr.Deep, I'm modifying the two poop decks to look more like the museum model. The two aft poop decks look just too inclined to me (rather too steep for the crew to stand on and function), so I've decided to make them more parallel to the main deck. The museum model also shows these two decks roughly parallel to the main deck too.
IMG_0609.jpgIMG_0610.jpg

Two more pics to finish the day. Since I will be using the windows and doors elsewhere, these are copied and printed on card stock and superglued on. The bulkhead is finished with some cherry (I believe) veneer I had left over. Finish is with Minwax Natural #209.

D1F17113-BC3B-4231-ADE2-69C39416BF9D.jpegDD9D06DD-4E41-4DB1-A209-23BC1D50548B.jpeg

Last edited:
I see they didn't ask my advice for nothing.Now even at the bottom you need to let the rail 1x1 mm.Simulate the skirting Board and close the cracks.

Your build looks great, Paul. By the way - those cannons were called "culverins" and also feature in the Sergal Kit (the same appearance as those in your kit.) The culverins were light cannons and used on the upper decks of ships.

If you looked at a photo of my model, you saw that I changed these guns.Cut off the long tails.Lengthened the barrels of the guns.Put on normal carriages.On the Heller model, there are also normal carriages on the upper decks.I also relied on the monograph Le Ambitiex .I advise you to look there.

Thanks Mr.Deep - I'll add the skirting and change the cannons - I guess I just don't like culverins lol. Now that I look at the picture I can see what you are saying, a small skirting board at the joint between the deck and the bulkhead would finish it off nicely.

Also - can you tell me what size cannons and where you purchased them and the carriages?

The monograph looks fantastic, but a little steep in price for me.

Last edited:
The guns remained the same.Cut off their long tails.The breech was built up with wood.I have built-up cannons on the main deck instead of half-cannons.On the upper decks with their tails cut off, they came up fine.I made the new carriages myself .The guns on the upper decks are identical to the guns on the main deck, only smaller in size.IMG_1850.JPGIMG_1851.JPGIMG_1852.JPG

Last edited:
I just completed my inventory today. I am extremely happy with it. First time in a long time where you actually get an inventory sheet and everything is there.

The other day you had a question about improving on the castings. I used to work in a dental lab and we used duplicating materials all the time. I plan on doing same. Get a re usable material and resin cast your own and get small bits for a dremel. This way your original castings are never harmed. and you can make multiples, If you screw one up, no big deal. If anything, I'm going to make duplicates and save them for future projects.....if I survive this one.

Back