Zulus, Scottish herring drifters circa. 1890. [COMPLETED BUILD]

Not quite Sir Alec Issigonis infamous ‘camel ’ Zulus where more a mix of the best-off previous drifter designs, but then again you can bet there was a good story telling haw they came about.

Hi folks, feed up with breathing sanding dust from the thousands of HMS Blandford’s frame pieces I thought I would intermix that long term project with another one of VM Models wonderful collection of sailing fishing boats.( I almost said I was hooked on them!).

I have been wanting to write another build log, but since there are at least two very good logs describing Blandford I thought that describing the drifter ‘Lady Isabella’ (I think a fictional name. I hope to find the story of an interesting real boat, but failing that I think I will call mine Shaka), would be interesting. And the more I have read about these boats and the brave men that sailed them the more I am in awe of them.

As you can see from the photo below I have gathered together all I need to spend an enjoyable weekend researching Zulus and other Scottish drifters. After that I will, (if still able),open the box and show what you get for your money.

IMG_20220930_195142.jpg

Cheers JJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, I am in the front row my friend. :) The famous Zulu kings were Shaka and Dingaan, so you have made a good choice!

What's in the box.
Typical of VM Models this little kit is well packed, all lose space taken up with bubble wrap and each different section sealed in clear plastic. It comes with an A4 sized colour booklet, explaining the build in both words and pictures, it also contains three pages of Zulus history. In addition, there are seven full scale pages of plans.
IMG_20221001_102326.jpg IMG_20221003_111141.jpg IMG_20221003_111158.jpg IMG_20221001_102359.jpg

All the wood is neatly labelled and wrapped. There are eleven laser cut sheets all pear except two 3mm sheets of what looks good quality MDF containing mostly the keel and bulkheads of which there 14 plus 4 more filling parts. MDF is a bit curates’ egg easily sanded and faired but is prone to break easily if forced so care must be taken. All the exposed wood is pear and the laser cutting remarkably fine with little burning, (quite a contrast to the huge amounts of char I am finding on the frames of Blandford, but then those parts are a lot thicker and doubtless harder to cut).The mast and yard dowels are walnut. There is a single sheet of photo etched brass fittings, photo etch is becoming de rigueur these days and I am in two minds about it on one hand it can be very neat and fine, on the other it’s a real nuisance to paint without blacking first. I usually treat the whole sheet at the very start with gun blue then decide on the final finish when I come to cut the individual parts off. A transparent plastic stand is included I have found these fragile in the past and a great deal of care is needed separating the parts and assembling them however, to my eye, they set off the finished model of quite well. VM now give a free set of sails (you used to have to buy them separately), they are well made but I still think they are too thick at 1/64 scale.

All parts seem to be well designed and of a high quality and all in all I think the kit will make up into a nice boat. On first examination the only parts I think I will replace are the sails and the old type, single hole blocks and there are only a few of them. So far so good. JJ.

What's in the box.
Typical of VM Models this little kit is well packed, all lose space taken up with bubble wrap and each different section sealed in clear plastic. It comes with an A4 sized colour booklet, explaining the build in both words and pictures, it also contains three pages of Zulus history. In addition, there are seven full scale pages of plans.
View attachment 331997 View attachment 331998 View attachment 331999 View attachment 332000

All the wood is neatly labelled and wrapped. There are eleven laser cut sheets all pear except two 3mm sheets of what looks good quality MDF containing mostly the keel and bulkheads of which there 14 plus 4 more filling parts. MDF is a bit curates’ egg easily sanded and faired but is prone to break easily if forced so care must be taken. All the exposed wood is pear and the laser cutting remarkably fine with little burning, (quite a contrast to the huge amounts of char I am finding on the frames of Blandford, but then those parts are a lot thicker and doubtless harder to cut).The mast and yard dowels are walnut. There is a single sheet of photo etched brass fittings, photo etch is becoming de rigueur these days and I am in two minds about it on one hand it can be very neat and fine, on the other it’s a real nuisance to paint without blacking first. I usually treat the whole sheet at the very start with gun blue then decide on the final finish when I come to cut the individual parts off. A transparent plastic stand is included I have found these fragile in the past and a great deal of care is needed separating the parts and assembling them however, to my eye, they set off the finished model of quite well. VM now give a free set of sails (you used to have to buy them separately), they are well made but I still think they are too thick at 1/64 scale.

All parts seem to be well designed and of a high quality and all in all I think the kit will make up into a nice boat. On first examination the only parts I think I will replace are the sails and the old type, single hole blocks and there are only a few of them. So far so good. JJ.
Hi JJ,
It dose look like a good kit with plenty of drawings and well laid out instructions.

A, (very), potted history of the Zulu Drifters.

1664967303761.png
ZULU Pansy INS.1365

I confess, although I know a fair bit about herring drifters I only had a vague remembrance of hearing of a type called Zulus, you think it would have stuck a name like that. Luckily if you want to look there is a lot of information about them out there, as sailing drifters they didn’t have a long career, maybe thirty years before steam took over, but by all account they made a big impact. These boats where big luggers, real big, nearly impossible to imagine. Consider, a favourite of mine, the brig HMS Speedy, had a keel length of 60 feet and an overall length of around 78 feet with a beam of 26 feet, carried a complement of around 90 while the last big Zulus where the same length above and below but with a narrower beam of around 20 feet had a crew of eight. And brave men they were fishing the North Sea and the Atlantic, working on a deck with no rail and a gunwale only 14 inches tall. Believe me when a drifter sets her nets and is still in the water she really can roll!

The first ‘Zulu’ may well have been built in 1879 by William Campbell of Lossiemouth and was called ‘Nonsuch’. Although others believe that similar boats had been built and fished out of Portessie and these boats were used as reference for Nonsuch. The story goes that William wanted to build a Fifie, with its vertical stem and stern a, stout and weatherly but slow boat, however his wife, (who held the purse strings!), liked the handier Scaffies with their racked stem and stern, so a compromise was made, and the Zulu with its vertical stem and 45 degree rudder angle was born. Mind you it is a rare Scotsman that lets his wife hold the cash! Who named these boats Zulus? I honestly cannot say, it is true that in 1879 the British were at war with the Zulu nation so maybe the name was bantered about so much it just stuck. It has been said that the Scottish named them Zulu in support for any enemy of the English, maybe, but there would have been a lot more Scots, Welsh, Irish and South Africans fighting in Zululand than the hated English. So, who knows. Anyway, the name stuck, and the design was a great success and by 1900 nearly 500 sailed out of Buckie alone and thousands where built. From their conception until the last was launched in 1910. they metamorphosed from about 40 foot and clinker built to carvel built monsters over 80 feet with masts over 65 feet from the deck up, carrying a sale plan (jib, foresail and mizzen) of over3,600 sq. feet.

BF 1488 ‘Loyal’ (below) launched in April 1904 was at 81feet loa. one of the biggest. She carried some thirty tons of ballast (seashore stone) and had a carrying capacity of around eighty tons.

1664967207593.png JJ.​

Just a footnote about BF 1488 Loyal, she was lost in 1920 when she missed the entrance to Cluny Harbour, Buckie at night in a heavy swell. She ran aground on the rocks behind the harbour. All hands where lost, washed away, while the townsfolk and other fishermen watched from the harbour wall a few yards away, but with no way to get to them. The skipper, who tied himself to the main mast, was the last to go when the mast snapped and washed away, him still attached, never to be seen again. Sad story. JJ.

Just a footnote about BF 1488 Loyal, she was lost in 1920 when she missed the entrance to Cluny Harbour, Buckie at night in a heavy swell. She ran aground on the rocks behind the harbour. All hands were lost, washed away, while the townsfolk and other fishermen watched from the harbour wall a few yards away, but with no way to get to them. The skipper, who tied himself to the main mast, was the last to go when the mast snapped and washed away, him still attached, never to be seen again. Sad story. JJ.
Good morning Jack. Awesome start to your log - Always good to read a little history and some marine tales on the ship to be built. Cheers Grant

fifie p1 001.jpg

The boat above is a Fifie not Zulu, the two types where great rivals, and by the turn of the 19th century both types had grown in size to around eighty feet. This picture gives an idea of just how big they where.

Well finally finished fitting the frames into Blandford so have a few days waiting while the PVA hardens totally, so I made a start on the Zulu yesterday. In truth there is nothing very exciting to report, I have just been following the instruction book and every thing has come together as described. I, as suggested started with the net hold and cabin cockpit. Here I have left my options open as to whether I will leave the net hold covered as per the kit or open it and display some drifting gear.
My first thoughts on displaying this lovely wee boat was to show her just ready to shoot her nets. That would be with her fore mast dropped down onto its crutch thus reducing the rolling, her main sail would be fully furred as would be her fore sail, boom retracted. The mizzen sail would be reefed up just enough to keep her to the wind. But according to EJ March's 'Sailing Drifters' that was not how it was done. As well as I have said they also dropped the mizzen sail and removed the rudder! I cant imagine how difficult a job that would be, even on a calm night. However after seeing the size of the sails (huge) I am considering showing them in full.

Here are some pictures of my progress so far.

IMG_20221006_124335.jpgIMG_20221006_133157.jpgIMG_20221006_223126.jpgIMG_20221006_224949.jpgIMG_20221007_131914.jpgIMG_20221007_081439.jpgIMG_20221007_085650.jpgIMG_20221007_131914.jpgIMG_20221008_062944.jpgIMG_20221008_080625.jpgIMG_20221008_080648.jpg The inner bulwarks are only attached temporally after soaking in hot water. hopefully they will take a bit of the bend when they dry by tomorrow. If I have some free time later I will make a start on the main mast, it has to be turned from square as the foot remains that way. I cannot emphasise too much the very high quality of this kit, particularly the laser cutting which is both very fine and perfectly square, not like some I have seen recently.

There are no remaining Zulus afloat, ( there is the hull of one called 'Research' on display in the Scottish Fisheries Museum, but it is in such bad condition it makes the remains of the Wasa look like a new build). One Fifie still sails and there is a great video of her in full flow, well worth a watch as it shows what monsters these big luggers where. You can find it here
it is in two parts but the second part is the best.
Well back to work. JJ.

IMG_20221006_124428.jpg

IMG_20221006_230112.jpg

As usual, I love how you bring the historical aspect into the build, Jack. I will be following with a keen eye. The Vanguard Sphynx looks like a very good model too, so Mr Watton clearly knows his stuff.

As usual, I love how you bring the historical aspect into the build, Jack. I will be following with a keen eye. The Vanguard Sphynx looks like a very good model too, so Mr Watton clearly knows his stuff.
Hi Heinrich, Yea Sphynx looks real good and I doubt if he will ever make the likes again. I think it costs so much to produce its almost a loss leader. Expensive but definitely value for money. They are developing a more conventional big 'razee' frigate, HMS Indefatigable. It would be on my short list down the line. Good to hear from you JJ.

View attachment 333115

The boat above is a Fifie not Zulu, the two types where great rivals, and by the turn of the 19th century both types had grown in size to around eighty feet. This picture gives an idea of just how big they where.

Well finally finished fitting the frames into Blandford so have a few days waiting while the PVA hardens totally, so I made a start on the Zulu yesterday. In truth there is nothing very exciting to report, I have just been following the instruction book and every thing has come together as described. I, as suggested started with the net hold and cabin cockpit. Here I have left my options open as to whether I will leave the net hold covered as per the kit or open it and display some drifting gear.
My first thoughts on displaying this lovely wee boat was to show her just ready to shoot her nets. That would be with her fore mast dropped down onto its crutch thus reducing the rolling, her main sail would be fully furred as would be her fore sail, boom retracted. The mizzen sail would be reefed up just enough to keep her to the wind. But according to EJ March's 'Sailing Drifters' that was not how it was done. As well as I have said they also dropped the mizzen sail and removed the rudder! I cant imagine how difficult a job that would be, even on a calm night. However after seeing the size of the sails (huge) I am considering showing them in full.

View attachment 333144View attachment 333147View attachment 333148View attachment 333150View attachment 333153View attachment 333154View attachment 333156View attachment 333158View attachment 333159View attachment 333160View attachment 333161 The inner bulwarks are only attached temporally after soaking in hot water. hopefully they will take a bit of the bend when they dry by tomorrow. If I have some free time later I will make a start on the main mast, it has to be turned from square as the foot remains that way. I cannot emphasise too much the very high quality of this kit, particularly the laser cutting which is both very fine and perfectly square, not like some I have seen recently.

There are no remaining Zulus afloat, ( there is the hull of one called 'Research' on display in the Scottish Fisheries Museum, but it is in such bad condition it makes the remains of the Wasa look like a new build). One Fifie still sails and there is a great video of her in full flow, well worth a watch as it shows what monsters these big luggers where. You can find it here
Well back to work. JJ.

View attachment 333145
View attachment 333115

View attachment 333144View attachment 333147View attachment 333148View attachment 333150View attachment 333153View attachment 333154View attachment 333156View attachment 333158View attachment 333159View attachment 333160View attachment 333161 The inner bulwarks are only attached temporally after soaking in hot water. hopefully they will take a bit of the bend when they dry by tomorrow. If I have some free time later I will make a start on the main mast, it has to be turned from square as the foot remains that way. I cannot emphasise too much the very high quality of this kit, particularly the laser cutting which is both very fine and perfectly square, not like some I have seen recently.

Well back to work. JJ.

View attachment 333145

View attachment 333152
Hi JJ,
I was enjoying the video, it was a shame to see a beautiful ship like that having a modern Radar bolted on.
I was also surprised to see that MDF wood is creeping into these kits instead of plywood.
Suppose the manufacture must think it is cheaper than ply. however they will not lower the prices.
It is good to see you are making progress.
Keep it up.

Last edited:
Back