1:48 scale POF HMS Alert by Keith [COMPLETED BUILD]

I follow your buildlog (also on facebook) with great interest. :)

I am very sorry if I do not now join the general canon of enthusiasm. Should one criticise? You often don't dare, you don't want to hurt anyone and maintain harmony and not make yourself unpopular ... but I'll do it now. :cool:

It's a strict orthogonal construction, everything is 90 degrees and parallel to each other ... it looks sloppy and wrong when it is not... I would strongly suggest redoing the worst parts at the bow and stern ..

1696521889559.png

cheers

Dirk

I follow your buildlog (also on facebook) with great interest. :)

I am very sorry if I do not now join the general canon of enthusiasm. Should one criticise? You often don't dare, you don't want to hurt anyone and maintain harmony and not make yourself unpopular ... but I'll do it now. :cool:

It's a strict orthogonal construction, everything is 90 degrees and parallel to each other ... it looks sloppy and wrong when it is not... I would strongly suggest redoing the worst parts at the bow and stern ..

View attachment 398475

cheers

Dirk
Thank you for your observations Dirk. l did see these at the time and will amend the misaligned ledges later

Thanks to everybody for your likes and comments. She is now out of the building jig. Only the top part holding the ribs firmly while in the process of cutting to height each rib in turn and free her permanently. It's good to now see her true shape evolving as the hull was rather ugly with the long upper rib section. A bit like a steam pudding :) . Another very clever idea from Trident is the jig attachment showing the position of the cutting line for each rib. l am cutting the all very slightly high and will sand them down to their correct heights when free and up the right way.

DSC06980.JPG

DSC06985.JPG

DSC06986.JPG

DSC06988.JPG

DSC06983.JPG

Thanks to everybody for your likes and comments. She is now out of the building jig. Only the top part holding the ribs firmly while in the process of cutting to height each rib in turn and free her permanently. It's good to now see her true shape evolving as the hull was rather ugly with the long upper rib section. A bit like a steam pudding :) . Another very clever idea from Trident is the jig attachment showing the position of the cutting line for each rib. l am cutting the all very slightly high and will sand them down to their correct heights when free and up the right way.

View attachment 398594

View attachment 398595

View attachment 398596

View attachment 398597

View attachment 398598
Keith, That looks a lovely shape, the build is coming along nicely indeed, you should be pleased with yourself for successfully getting this far. Ken

Keith, That looks a lovely shape, the build is coming along nicely indeed, you should be pleased with yourself for successfully getting this far. Ken
Thanks a lot Ken. How are you both enjoying your holiday? Where are you?

Merci pour votre réponse. Savez-vous déjà comment vous allez présenter votre modèle ?
modèle entièrement ponté (on ne verra pas l'intérieur du navire) , ou la moitié ponté ?

D'après Peter Goodwin 'Anatomy of the ship', l'équipage était de 60 hommes sur le HMS Alert. Il devait être vraiment à l'étroit sur ce navire.

D'après Peter Goodwin 'Anatomy of the ship', l'équipage était de 60 hommes sur le HMS Alert. Il devait être vraiment à l'étroit sur ce navire.
Yes. Alert was not a big ship. l cannot see where you could berth 60 men :) . l plan on as little planking as possible. l will make it up as l go along

Now completely free from the jig the hull is revealed. Lots of cleaning up to get each rib level and exactly the right height. l have made a start and am fitting the rails on the starboard side. Only dry fit for now, until l'm happy they all line up smoothly. l still have the first 2 ribs to cut to length. These are lower than their surrounding partners and it's proving difficult to get a blade into the very narrow gap

DSC06994.JPG

DSC06996.JPG

DSC07002.JPG

DSC07003.JPG

DSC07009.JPG

DSC07018.JPG

DSC07019.JPG

DSC07025.JPG

DSC07033.JPG

DSC07034.JPG

DSC07035.JPG

DSC07036.JPG