Bluenose made in Austria :-)

And now onto the next step, the - if I knew what they're called :) - rubbing strips for the dories. The curves need to be flatter still, but I'll do that once I've applied the pore filler and finished the final sanding before painting

IMG_0160b.JPG

IMG_0149a.jpg

IMG_0154a.jpg

IMG_0157a.jpg

IMG_0161a.jpg

I didn't depict the deeply recessed, flush-mounted steel bands on the hull - the effort seemed disproportionate to the benefit here :)
I positioned the shrouds for the mastheads slightly outward on the main deck to avoid collisions with the other shrouds.

In the meantime, I have attended to the masts and booms. The kit contained only round rods that still required processing. I have an acquaintance who is a crib builder, and there I was able to taper the masts and booms on a lathe machine. The "ornate baroque curls" represent the two mast tops. I adhered to the proportions outlined in Mr. Eisnor's plans, which have proven to be immensely helpful. Here are the results:

IMG_E0223a.jpg

IMG_E0225a.jpg

IMG_E0233a.jpg

IMG_E0229a.jpg

A nicer approach, Franz. In scale, they are fragile, but gives the masts some elegance.
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter! I was astonished by the multitude of diverse length and dimension specifications of the crosstrees in the plans, and it was only upon seeing this photo that I truly appreciated the delicate nature of the stay reinforcements. If depicted to scale, they would likely lean towards a thickness of around 1mm. I will examine this closely during construction to assess whether the proportions align appropriately or if they are indeed undersized. Time will tell. Regards, Franz.

Next agenda item: the deck. Unfortunately, at the outset, I employed the deck planking provided by the kit and coated it with a pore filler to shield it from contamination. Only subsequently did I delve deeper into the intricacies of the Bluenose, wherein it became apparent that a mahogany deck might not be the optimal choice. My wife aptly pointed out that the Bluenose did not partake in the America's Cup and did not boast or should not boast a highly polished mahogany deck. As my wife is invariably correct :), I endeavored to alter the deck color with the following color samples:

IMG_234ea.jpg

IMG_234fa.jpg

IMG_0245a.jpg

Last edited:
With that, I believe I have finally made the fundamental decision that I've been procrastinating on for quite some time – the condition in which I'll depict the Bluenose. The photos that heavily influenced my decision to build the schooner depict it in a beautifully weathered state. So, that's the aim. We will see...

IMG_0250f.jpg

IMG_0250g.jpg

And in between, so that I can precisely determine the position of the winch and the length of the bowsprit, I have started with the winch shaft. I am building it with the means at my disposal. Since the parts are much too large, I am grinding them down to size. Due to the scale and my capabilities, I will omit some details, as the construction of small-scale accurate parts (especially the teeth of the gears) is simply not possible for me. It will be a "reduced symbolic representation" :)

IMG_0280a.jpg

IMG_0282a.jpg

IMG_0284a.jpg

IMG_0286a.jpg

IMG_0287a.jpg

I will slightly reduce the diameter of the raised parts on the left side. Into the cleats of the winch on the right side, a wire will be inserted each.

View attachment 437961
You are doing a nice job, Franz. It’s indeed a challenge to build the winch in a representative scale. But that’s for all the detailed parts.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hello Peter! Thank you for your feedback.
It´s in deed a challenging balance between reality and chosen representation. For the winch, I opted to construct it without wire inserts, retaining the slots between the planks. After trimming, it now fits proportionally, and reducing the diameter of the minor pulleys, along with an additional lowering in the center, makes the whole assembly less bulky and cumbersome.

IMG_0340a.jpg

IMG_0327a.jpg

IMG_0329a.jpg

For the forward attachment points on the bow sprit, I filed down the excessively large brass fittings to size and drilled new holes. The sawn-off tabs serve as individual eyes for the running rigging or the secondary rear stays leading down towards the bow.

IMG_0251t.JPG

IMG_0251o.PNG

IMG_0251w.JPG

Back