Correct Terminology

Thank you Jimsky, I'm working on the HMS Terror, I have a drawing profile from the National Maritime Museum in England that shows the bottom of the masts. Using triangulation and verifying it with an adjustable triangle I'm coming up with a mast rake of 3 degrees on the main and mizzen masts but the fore mast is a straight 90 degrees up.
I have the Betts book but there is nothing in there about that. If anyone out there knows how I can verify my calculations please let me know.
Thank you
Jim Maguire

Some rake more than others, and some have different rake on the same boat.
On the bowsprit it's called steeve
:)

View attachment 446484

Interesting Jerry, I never heard of 'Steeve' before.. in Dutch (the mother tongue of boat building:cool:) 'steven' is prow, 'boeg' is bow,
'sprong' is steeve.

In linguistics this shift of meaning is quite common. A nice example is town (EN: small city), tuin (Dutch: garden), Zaun (German: fence around a garden).

Last edited:
Jimsky,
Thank you for the Shields "Mast Rake Calculation", I have two drawings but they don't have the detail to give me the "YM", "X" or "B" dimensions to work out the calculation; I will just stay with the triangulation and the adjustable triangle and hope for the best. Thank you to Jerry for the term "steeve" I calculated the "steeve" on the HMS Terror to be 23 degrees

Thank you all for your answers on the "rake" question; I'm relativity new at this modeling and I found that asking a question on this site gets better results from experienced modelers then spending hours of research on the internet. So here is another one; the HMS Terror had iron cladding added to her bow before the Artic Expedition in 1845, how is the best way to show this cladding? I've seen a lot of copper that can be bought but not anything representing iron cladding?
Thank you

Back