Du Doch Nicht!! Eduard 1/72 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well…I am sidetracked again! ROTF
I build and collect military aircraft, and the majority of them are in 1/72 scale, so they take up less space.
I do have large models as well, however thus far I only had WW2 airplanes and fighter jets in 1/72 scale.
Recently I decided to build some WW1 airplanes in 1/72 scale. I am realizing it is a much more difficult task to build WW1 airplanes at this small scale, due to rigging and struts, etc.
The kit that made me decide to try WW1 airplanes in 1/72 scale is the Eduard kit named Du Doch Nicht!!
IMG_2026.jpeg
It has 3 airplanes; the Albatros D.Va, the Fokker Dr1 triplane, and the Fokker D.VII.
With those 3 airplanes, I couldn’t resist! ;)

These are all modeled after the ones Ernst Udet flew during WW1, as he was the ace with the second highest kills behind Baron Von Richthofen. He had 62 victories.
IMG_2060.jpeg
The kit gives a nice history about him and the planes he flew. Each one has a few different versions you can build based on the actual airplanes he flew. 2 Albatros D.V versions, 1 Albatros D.Va version, 2 Fokker Dr1 version planes and 3 Fokker D.VII version planes. It is amazing that he flew 8 different aircraft in WW1.

Now for the build, I decided to start with the Albatros D.V, because it will be the hardest due to all of the rigging. Next will be the Fokker D.VII

This is the version Albatros D.V I am building…

IMG_2063.jpeg
Each version gives a description and a little history. By the way “LO” was his girlfriend. ;)

I will be building this version Fokker D.VII…
IMG_2064.jpeg

I am undecided on which version of the Fokker Dr1 I will build.

Last edited:
Did I say these were small models?
Here is a sample of some of the photo etch parts…
IMG_2066.jpeg
They are so small I can barely handle them with tweezers. And many times they fly out and I have to find them…sigh! ROTF

So here is my current progress…
IMG_2056.jpegIMG_2057.jpegIMG_2059.jpeg
Despite being so difficult to work with, I am already in love with my mini Albatross! ;)

See you next time!

Last edited:
your painting works is amazing - so realistic appearance - Bravo

Interesting found.

I was wondering, why this kit is named "Du Doch Nicht" ?????

and found this page with some information

Ernst Udet painted this phrase on the tail of his Fokker D-VII aircraft, considered one of the best fighter aircraft of WWI. As an idiom, it defies exact translation into English, but comes out as something like "No you don't!" or "Definitely not you!" One wonders why he would expect that enemy pilots on his tail would speak German well enough to understand it, but then, anyone could guess it's not exactly intended as a compliment.

udet-du-doch-nicht.jpg

Interesting found.

I was wondering, why this kit is named "Du Doch Nicht" ?????

and found this page with some information

Ernst Udet painted this phrase on the tail of his Fokker D-VII aircraft, considered one of the best fighter aircraft of WWI. As an idiom, it defies exact translation into English, but comes out as something like "No you don't!" or "Definitely not you!" One wonders why he would expect that enemy pilots on his tail would speak German well enough to understand it, but then, anyone could guess it's not exactly intended as a compliment.

View attachment 385172

Exactly, that is the reason for the kit name!
The only airplane he put that on, was his first Red Fokker D.VII
When that one was crashed, he did not add it to the other two Fokker D.VII airplanes he flew afterwards.

The German WW1 airplanes have some of the most colorful schemes.
So the one I chose has the camouflage and the blue panel lines.
Well the camouflage is a big decal, which is a bit challenging to apply without wrinkles, air bubbles, tears and keep centered on the wing.
As before…
IMG_2059.jpeg
What I didn’t know, was that the blue panel lines are all separate decals!
See instructions below…
IMG_2067.jpeg
What a challenge that was! Hats off to Adi @pianoforte, he did such a fantastic job on his airplane with the same camouflage and panel lines.
Anyway, once all these decals dry, I will clear coat them. ;)

I survived it, but not perfect. ;)
IMG_2072.jpegIMG_2073.jpegIMG_2074.jpeg

After matte clear coat…it looks more like canvas now…
IMG_2081.jpeg

Then I decided to add some rivets to the metal panels while I was adding some other parts…
IMG_2082.jpegIMG_2083.jpeg

There is a lot of little photo etched parts to go on next, and I still have to paint the white stripes on the rear elevator.

It’s a nice and colorful airplane, Dean.
With a color pattern for deception to recognize shapes against a natural background. It brings confusion. Just like the battleships. In this case the plane against the sky.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter! That makes sense, the different colors and patterns would create confusion and take the enemy a while to discern exactly what they were seeing.

This will be fun to watch Dean. Now I don't know what to think about the paint scheme, confusion as @Peter Voogt says makes the most sense and that striped elevator, WOW, an early form of psychedelia wonderment?
Thanks Daniel. This is definitely testing my ability to add detail at scale. I can’t even say how many times I have gone over the fuselage to add highlights and washes to give the panels separation. I am real close to something I am happy with. Probably be tweaking that until the bitter end. ROTF
As for the colors and patterns, I agree confusion as Peter mentioned, makes the most sense. But it is also what makes me love these airplanes from an artistic standpoint. ;)

Photo recce spits were painted pink to blend in with the colors of sunrise and sunset when they flew their missions.

WWI aircraft were real flimsy thingies, but the technology used was extraordinary, think for instance about the guns firing through the propellor. Having said that, I prefer, for some odd reason, the WWII era aircraft, still flimsy, but technologically more advanced.
Still I'll follow this build with genuine interest; two Fokkers in one build!

Back