Du Doch Nicht!! Eduard 1/72 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Congratulations for finishing these three "Du Doch Nicht!"- jewels
They are looking very good - very accurate and detailed work
Thank you Uwe!
Great presentation Dean, and a bit of a learning experience as a bonus, thanks.
Thanks Daniel!
Excellent, nicely done. I enjoyed following your build log.

Jan
Thanks Jan!
It’s a nice couple of airplanes, Dean.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter!

The minuscule motor, about the size of my thumb nail, was built and added. And then I put on the cowling…
View attachment 387865View attachment 387866View attachment 387867

Next will be the landing gear with wheels, the tail skid and some other PE parts. Then the propeller and I can wrap this one up! It has been more work than I initially expected and it’s keeping me away from the NL for too long! ;)
But I am really glad to have these added to my collection.
That cowling is really iconic, one of a kind!

A lovely set, Dean.
I think I especially like the DR.1, just because you didn't paint her red.

A lovely set, Dean.
I think I especially like the DR.1, just because you didn't paint her red.
Thanks Johan! Each airplane is a representation of the ones Ernst Udet flew. He never flew a red DR1. There were 3 choices on the Albatros, 2 on the DR1, and 3 on the D.VII
He did fly a red D.VII, but I didn’t go with that one. ;)

BTW: I am a little bit surprised, that the kit is named "Du doch nicht!!", but there are no decals with the kit for the D VII model
udet-du-doch-nicht.jpg

Here are the versions you can build with the kit...
a1.jpga2.jpg
a3.jpg
d1.jpgd2.jpgf1.jpg
f2.jpg
f3.jpg

It should be obvious which version of each type airplane I chose to build. ;)
As you can see, only his first red Fokker D.VII had the "Du Doch Nicht" on the tail.
The Kit is titled after that, but the main importance is that each and every airplane you can build from the kit represents an airplane that Ernst Udet flew.
And I do have the decal I could add to my D.VII, but it would not be historically accurate. Perhaps I should add anyway? ;)

Last edited:
One pilot, so many different aircraft? Was it because he was luckier than the specific aircraft that he survived the many aerial battles, to use so many different airframes before he finally was shot down.
Udet shot himself in the head in 1941 during a telephone call with his girlfriend

One pilot, so many different aircraft? Was it because he was luckier than the specific aircraft that he survived the many aerial battles, to use so many different airframes before he finally was shot down.
He survived the war. Pilots often changed aircraft when they were assigned to different squadrons. And they had a backup plane. Many times pilots survived the crashes, sometimes with and without injuries.
If you read up on him, he was a very good pilot and flew shows for money after the war. He even met some of the pilots he fought against in WW1 while doing shows after the war. During WW2 he was given the job to develop aircraft and the pressure got to him eventually, and he took his own life. :(

Last edited:
Feeling the pressure from Uwe’s @Uwek post, I decided I would add the taunt “Du Doch Nicht!!” to the tail of the version D.VII I chose to build.
I rather like it! ;)
Oddly enough, the last version red Fokker D.VII that he flew, with the upper cowling off to help cool the motor, he was very successful with! He shot down 20 aircraft in 20 days!

Pics…
IMG_2518.jpegIMG_2519.jpeg

So there you have it!

Back