Flying Fish

"The American Built Clipper Ship" and "The Masting and Rigging of American merchant Sail in the 1850s" books by William L. Crothers provide a wealth of information on all matters related to American Clippers of this period including the "Flying Fish" and are invaluable resources for modeling these ships. Both books are still readily available at reasonable cost in paperback.

Has anyone out there constructed Model Shipways Flying Fish. I could use some help with the planking.
Tom Recker, gypsyrose4tom@cox.net
Hi Tom,
The Flying Fish was my very first model ship, but that was in 1973! The kit from which it was made had gathered so much dust in a local hobby shop that the owner sold it to me for $10! To this date, and nearly 20 models later, I still consider this build to be one of my best. A most beautiful and graceful model. Unfortunately, it was a solid hull model and I can be of little help to you other than to wish you good luck. I can't remember the kit manufacturer but I think that the current model by Model Shipways is the direct successor. I do recall that my kit came if an orange and blue box.

I do not think that planking your model should pose any major or unique problems. The shear on the clipper ships is more severe than that of many other ships, but hot soaking (with or without ammonia) and the use of heat where necessary should solve most problems. Exactly what planking problem are you facing? There are a number of really good books on the subject. I may be in the minority, but I have never been too "fussy" on the first layer of planking on a double planked model, and likewise am not fussy on the final layer if it is to be painted.

Back