Fokker D.VII Rhoden 1:48

WARNING!!! This will not be an extensive build log.

At my belated (due to Covid) retirement dinner, I received as one of the gifts from my colleagues a Rhoden kit, scale 1:48, of a Fokker D.VII.
Since at that time I was deeply involved in my Bluenose build, I set this kit aside; it had to wait till after completion of the Bluenose.
So once reaching completion during October last year, I could now turn some of my attention to this model.
I read some build logs for this particular kit and had to come to the conclusion this was way above my pay grade. My personal experience in a few words: no positive fitting of parts, very low material quality, very soft plastic and very fragile; I had to scratch build (soldered brass) the N-struts, connecting the upper- to the lower wing. The decals were a nightmare, brittle to the extreme and close to impossible to manipulate.
Positioning and installing the wing, engine and landing gear struts (the landing gear struts were also scratch build) was monk's work.
To avoid any loads on the fragile landing gear, I fabricated a cradle in which the model rests.

Concluding, this kit was not woth the effort. You're probably better of committing to a scratch build.

IMG_1588.jpeg

IMG_1589.jpeg

IMG_1590.jpeg

IMG_1591.jpeg

Back